Sponsored by:

Road trips

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 02:45 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,515 Likes on 823 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I am still awaiting delivery of my car but have this desperate urge to take her to Death Valley/Monument Valley for two simple reasons - never been there and these cars are great road warriors. I hope my plans materialize. OP, no worries about long trips in these cars, just be prepared for a load of thumbs-ups everywhere!
Old 03-09-2019, 04:27 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,640 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
I am still awaiting delivery of my car but have this desperate urge to take her to Death Valley/Monument Valley for two simple reasons - never been there and these cars are great road warriors. I hope my plans materialize. OP, no worries about long trips in these cars, just be prepared for a load of thumbs-ups everywhere!
It's a beautiful part of our country Max. Come on down. We're planning another Bad Lands trip for our GS in August. I do love that area, but it gets to cold in the winter for this old man.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 03-09-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:32 PM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Received 484 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
Death valley is just down the road from Spring Mountain 2 day Corvette owners school.
Just sayin.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:50 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by blueray16
Death valley is just down the road from Spring Mountain 2 day Corvette owners school.
Just sayin.
ha ha ha!
Old 03-09-2019, 05:53 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
It's a beautiful part of our country Max. Come on down. We're planning another Bad Lands trip for our GS in August. I do love that area, but it gets to cold in the winter for this old man.

I actually do want to do it in the summer - I want to experience the extreme heat of the Death Valley - my bones need it after our long long winter, this year has been brutal!

Last edited by Mad*Max; 03-09-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:17 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,088 Likes on 600 Posts

My car will be 5 years old next Sunday, St. Patrick's Day. We've taken at least 4 long trips from SW Florida to PA to OCMD (Corvette weekend)and back to SW Florida. Also 2 long trips from SW Florida to VA to PA to SC back to SW Florida where I drove thru 300 to 400 miles of Hurricane pouring rains. The best mileage I ever got was 36.4 mpg for about a 70 mile stretch but overall I averaged 29.1 mpg. We packed our coupe full and as far as I'm concerned they are the best on long trips. I do have a Novistretch Bra and mirror bra ettes which help but I still get stone clips. But the car is excellent and I'd take more but my wife always complains that I drive too long. Here's some pictures of us packed and the bra and the car today.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:53 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,381 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by joemessman
I have been on plenty of road trips and they have all been terrific! But If I had a Z06, or a Grand Sport I would not travel with the OEM wheels on the car. I would buy forged wheels and run with them. Why? Because when I drove my son's Z06 up to Las Vegas and back. About 350 miles. I had 2 cracked rims on the inner side. Don't ever remember running over anything out of the ordinary. Subsequently after that trip I learned of the issues with the wheels on the forum.
Does it make you feel any better to know that I've bent at least two (gotta check the others) wheels on our Z51, always with the Mag Ride in Tour? In each case, the pothole or pavement heave compressed the properly-inflated tire sidewall enough that the wheel rim cut the sidewall, the impact bent the wheel. Not a lot, but enough to see on a spin balance.

IIRC, the GS wheels are different from the Z06, and most (all?) of the bends/cracks I've seen here have been GS. I hate to say this, but is it possible that the wheels had been damaged, at least partially, before you made the trip?
Old 03-09-2019, 09:55 PM
selkieman
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the tips. I'm planning on quitting my job/retiring and heading west for Rt. 66 from NY in a few weeks.
Should be good.

Last edited by selkieman; 03-09-2019 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:23 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,448 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Does it make you feel any better to know that I've bent at least two (gotta check the others) wheels on our Z51, always with the Mag Ride in Tour? In each case, the pothole or pavement heave compressed the properly-inflated tire sidewall enough that the wheel rim cut the sidewall, the impact bent the wheel. Not a lot, but enough to see on a spin balance.

IIRC, the GS wheels are different from the Z06, and most (all?) of the bends/cracks I've seen here have been GS. I hate to say this, but is it possible that the wheels had been damaged, at least partially, before you made the trip?
They were cracked on the trip.

Quick Reply: Road trips