Sponsored by:

Considering a C7, have questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 09:01 AM
GLOCK22357
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Considering a C7, have questions

I currently drive a 2016 Mustang GT PP/MT82 car with some suspension mods, and CAI & tune. I really want to get into something with a sunroof, or removable roof, and a used C7 is one of my considerations. I'm a GTer, not a dragger or tracking guy, I like a powerful, stable, comfortable and relatively quiet Grand Touring vehicle.

I'm looking for information on reliability and after-market modifications for C7s, with an eye towards buying a used 2LT Z51 7SPD vehicle, so I have a few general questions if ya'll don't mind taking a few minutes to answer them.

1. Reliability as a DD; This would be my only car, and would be driven all year, here in NoVa. Are there any major concerns with a C7 I wouldn't have with my current car?
2. Are there any specific issues that I should know about, to look out for when shopping? Specific known reliability issues?
3. How is the after market? With Mustangs a CAI and tune nets real power increases, does the same go for the LT1?
4. How are the Magneride shocks holding up? Are they expensive to replace? Hard to replace? Any companies re-building them?
5. I would be removing and re-installing the roof a lot. Do they hold-up well to that, or do they start squeaking and creaking? Do a lot of folks here end up dropping the roof panel?
6. How's the clutch feel? I've yet to drive a C7, but the Mustang's clutch is ****, absolutely crap, with 0 feed-back. Does the C7s clutch feel good? Does it last? Is the pedal heavy?
7. Replacement parts; are things like alternators, A/C pumps, power steering pumps cheap and easy to replace? Looking at a C7, I get the impression the accessories would be easy to work on, but let me know if that's incorrect. And they'd be cheap, because they're used on other GM platforms?

Thanks in advance for your answers. I'm just trying to see if this would be a move that makes sense.

Last edited by GLOCK22357; 03-06-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:04 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

The C7 Clutch is the easiest and most pleasant clutch I have ever operated.
The following users liked this post:
GLOCK22357 (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 09:38 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Mustang world to Corvette world = Chuck steak to Filet Mignon
The following 2 users liked this post by Corgidog1:
edzvet (03-06-2019), GLOCK22357 (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 09:41 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,838 Posts

If you search for "Daily Driver" on this forum you'll get hundreds of responses on how well the C7 drives as a DD. While its a great track car, it is a comfortable car to drive daily or on road trips especially with the MSRC if you choose Z51 with the stiffer suspension. The MSRC has proven to be very reliable. Not many (if any?) threads on failures at this point.

Without FI or other big mods, a tune on the LT1 will not yield a lot of HP gains. It will improve drive-ability.

The roof is durable. However if you plan on driving on the highway with the roof off, you will get buffeting. Its not like a convertible.
GLOCK22357 (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 09:42 AM
GLOCK22357
Instructor

Originally Posted by GARYFINN
The C7 Clutch is the easiest and most pleasant clutch I have ever operated.
That's awesome. The clutch on my car is my only real complaint, and it's good to know the C7's is nice.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:45 AM
GLOCK22357
Instructor

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
Mustang world to Corvette world = Chuck steak to Filet Mignon
For the money, it should be. Corvettes seem an excellent value, so I'm just trying to see if they're good, reliable DDs.

Mustangs, FWIW, are also incredible values. And amazing Grand Touring cars, immensely comfortable and decent performing. Really good fun.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:48 AM
GLOCK22357
Instructor

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
If you search for "Daily Driver" on this forum you'll get hundreds of responses on how well the C7 drives as a DD. While its a great track car, it is a comfortable car to drive daily or on road trips especially with the MSRC if you choose Z51 with the stiffer suspension. The MSRC has proven to be very reliable. Not many (if any?) threads on failures at this point.

Without FI or other big mods, a tune on the LT1 will not yield a lot of HP gains. It will improve drive-ability.

The roof is durable. However if you plan on driving on the highway with the roof off, you will get buffeting. Its not like a convertible.
At 70MPH, is the buffeting bad enough you can't enjoy the experience?

As far as tuning & CAIs, is that not a thing with a C7? With a Gen 2 Coyote, it's around +30HP and +25TQ, but an LT1 doesn't see such gains?

Thanks for the tip on searching "Daily Driver", I will do that.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:58 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

1 - I'm pretty sure the C7 sits lower than a mustang, so you have to be careful going up driveways or any areas where the road meets another driving area that creates any kind of angle. These cars also get a lot of attention so you have to be careful where you park them if you don't want people messing with it. Some versions have tires that can't or shouldn't be used in weather below I believe 40 degrees.

2 - The auto c7s have drivetrain issues due to AFM but it looks like you want a manual so no major worries other than that. There is a paint flaking issue where the front or rear facias meet other panels, maybe check for that. Also, improperly jacked c7s might have rocker panel damage so look for any signs of that.

3 - Aftermarket for the c7 is almost non-existent compared to the mustang. The c7 is pretty much already maxed out, but it's a much better handling car than even the most tricked out mustangs, so there really is no need to mod them. If you want power gains, you can add forced induction.

4 - Ive heard the mag ride shocks can leak after a while (I've had no issues so far). They are expensive to replace. Most things on this car are expensive to replace especially compared to a mustang.

5 - I haven't had any issues with my targa top and haven't seen many people complaining about them.

6 - I have an auto so can't say personally, but from most I've talked to, they seem to be happy with it.

7 - The C7 is not cheap in any way, shape or form. Parts and labor costs will be much more expensive than a mustang. If you want the juice, you gotta pay for it. This car was engineered with only performance in mind, so ease of repair was never a consideration unlike many other cars.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd take a mustang as a daily driver over a c7. You can daily drive a c7, but for me it would create a lot of problems.

Last edited by kennyjames21; 03-06-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:06 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,318 Likes on 757 Posts

Good luck in your search -- I am a happy new C7 owner.

Originally Posted by GLOCK22357
At 70MPH, is the buffeting bad enough you can't enjoy the experience?
I have yet to try it with my C7, but all prior gens I have owned it could get pretty bad. With windows up (say chillier days) they got bad above 50MPH; with windows down it was bearable up through 65MPH or so...others' opinions will vary.

As far as tuning & CAIs, is that not a thing with a C7? With a Gen 2 Coyote, it's around +30HP and +25TQ, but an LT1 doesn't see such gains?

Thanks for the tip on searching "Daily Driver", I will do that. I have DD'd my Vettes for 15 years. Early experience with my Z51 (NOT mag ride) 2LT is great, but then I like a firm ride (oh and don't reject the competition seats if you are looking at a Vette that has them, assuming you are not a real big guy. I find them absolutely AMAZING.) In NorVa you will want to retrofit with good A/S rubber -- I can report that the Michelin PS AS3+ in non-run-flat form are pretty good. I have yet to do that with mine so I am a bit restricted on very cold days, and I have noticed the 4 year-old factory Michelin summer RF tires with 20K miles on them are VERY noisy, but until these fully wear out I'll just turn the exhaust and tunes up very loud...
Old 03-06-2019, 10:09 AM
GLOCK22357
Instructor

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
1 - I'm pretty sure the C7 sits lower than a mustang, so you have to be careful going up driveways or any areas where the road meets another driving area that creates any kind of angle. These cars also get a lot of attention so you have to be careful where you park them if you don't want people messing with it. Some versions have tires that can't or shouldn't be used in weather below I believe 40 degrees.
The car being lower makes sense, I can work with that. The tires I'm well aware of, my car has such tires. The attention is understood, I always park very far away from other vehicles.

2 - The auto c7s have drivetrain issues due to AFM but it looks like you want a manual so no major worries other than that. There is a paint flaking issue where the front or rear facias meet other panels, maybe check for that. Also, improperly jacked c7s might have rocker panel damage so look for any signs of that.
Yeah, MT for me. Paint flaking is a concern, but lots of cars have such issues. Is this a very common thing?

3 - Aftermarket for the c7 is almost non-existent compared to the mustang. The c7 is pretty much already maxed out, but it's a much better handling car than even the most tricked out mustangs, so there really is no need to mod them. If you want power gains, you can add forced induction.
That sucks. Modding cars is part of the fun.

4 - Ive heard the mag ride shocks can leak after a while (I've had no issues so far). They are expensive to replace. Most things on this car are expensive to replace especially compared to a mustang.
Hmmmm..

7 - The C7 is not cheap in any way, shape or form. Parts and labor costs will be much more expensive than a mustang. If you want the juice, you gotta pay for it. This car was engineered with only performance in mind, so ease of repair was never a consideration unlike many other cars.
Things like alternators, steering pumps, etc. aren't shared with other GM vehicles? There's a chance a used C7 would be out of warranty, which is why I ask.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd take a mustang as a daily driver over a c7. You can daily drive a c7, but for me it would create a lot of problems.
I'm single, and Mustang rear seats are useless. The biggest loss would be the trunk area, which is very useful. Any other reasons you wouldn't DD a C7?

Thanks.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:14 AM
GLOCK22357
Instructor

Originally Posted by Laguna Fred
In NoVa you will want to retrofit with good A/S rubber -- I can report that the Michelin PS AS3+ in non-run-flat form are pretty good. I have yet to do that with mine so I am a bit restricted on very cold days, and I have noticed the 4 year-old factory Michelin summer RF tires with 20K miles on them are VERY noisy, but until these fully wear out I'll just turn the exhaust and tunes up very loud...
I currently run Summer Only HP tires all year, it's really not a problem. Even in sub-freezing temps, you just have to drive normally, not hard.

It's odd that C7s use the RF tires, as they've got a reputation of riding harshly and not being very performance oriented. Obviously the tech has improved since I last read about them.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:15 AM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

1. You'll need all season tires as C7s come with summer only tires. I live in FL so can't really comment on winter driving. The C7 does have a "weather mode" where the throttle progression is backed off and the nannies are super sensitive to keep it from spinning out too easily.

2. 3LT dashes (leather) tend to peel up, that is about the only major concern I've seen posted. 2LT have no such problems. Getting the manual avoids the real problems which are all related to the automatics.

3. The LT1 doesn't seem to benefit from simple bolts ons or tunes, the LT4 (Supercharger) response better based on what I've read.

4. Seen some reports of them leaking but in theory they should be as reliable as a traditional as traditional shock.

5. They creak a little. The roof is super light (carbon fiber or plastic) but its large and thus clumsy to move, handle it with care. It does store easily in the hatch.

6. Clutch is great! Light but firm. For comparison my wife loves it and she hated our Nissan 350Z because it was like doing leg presses at the gym (very heavy).

7. I too assume parts are easy to source and replace if you DYI, its one of reasons I chose a C7 over a Cayman. Like your Mustang its an America V8 that shares parts with several other Chevys, its not some exotic. Old school push rod so its a proven power plant with little that can go wrong. Z51 have the dry sump oiling which isn't a normal thing so it requires a few extra steps to ensure oil changes are handled correctly.

I daily mine - love the mag-ride and performance exhaust, its a very comfortable touring car that will own on the track and pull away from 90% of the other cars out there from a stoplight. Visibility is better then my 350Z, the front fenders stick up a bit but the hood is low and drops away vs the long flat hood on the Mustangs. Seats are comfortable but the cabin is tight. You sit LOW in the car and the dash wraps around, very different feel then a Mustang based on riding in some over the years (owned on back in the 80s). Rear storage is massive due the big hatch.
GLOCK22357 (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 10:19 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Mustangs are one of the most mod friendly cars out there because there are so many of them. There aren't many corvettes so you have a smaller market, and therefore less options. But again, the corvette comes already pimped out - I don't think you could even mod a mustang to handle as well as a base stingray, or if you did you'd have to spend a fortune.

The corvette doesn't share many parts with other vehicles, and again, small market, so parts are expensive. More importantly, they are not as easy to work on as many other cars because they are engineered with only performance in mind, making even some more typically easy tasks more difficult than average. If price or ease in working on a car are concerns, you don't want to move from a mustang to a c7. If you want a car that makes a mustang look like a prius, then definitely switch (and I say this as a mustang fan...). Driving a mustang makes you feel cool but driving a c7 makes you feel like a ******* rockstar, lol.

The paint thing is a common issue especially if you're buying an older c7. Just check the panels where they meet other panels and see if there is any flaking or touchup - if there isn't any and the car is older you should be good.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:27 AM
GLOCK22357
Instructor

Mustangs are one of the most mod friendly cars out there because there are so many of them. There aren't many corvettes so you have a smaller market, and therefore less options. But again, the corvette comes already pimped out - I don't think you could even mod a mustang to handle as well as a base stingray, or if you did you'd have to spend a fortune.

The corvette doesn't share many parts with other vehicles, and again, small market, so parts are expensive. More importantly, they are not as easy to work on as many other cars because they are engineered with only performance in mind, making even some more typically easy tasks more difficult than average. If price or ease in working on a car are concerns, you don't want to move from a mustang to a c7. If you want a car that makes a mustang look like a prius, then definitely switch (and I say this as a mustang fan...). Driving a mustang makes you feel cool but driving a c7 makes you feel like a ******* rockstar, lol.

The paint thing is a common issue especially if you're buying an older c7. Just check the panels where they meet other panels and see if there is any flaking or touchup - if there isn't any and the car is older you should be good.
Hopefully I'll get to compare handling characteristics of the C7 vrs. my car sometime this year. I have done some fantastic suspension mods to my car, and it handles and rides amazingly well, so if a C7 is better......well......it's worth it.

I'm surprised to hear C7s don't share some parts with other GM vehicles, but I suppose I can check on various part costs on the web. I do assume that LT1s are pretty damn reliable though.

The cool/rock-star thing isn't a concern of mine, it's all about the driving experience. The connection to the car, the way it drives, handles and brakes.

In the end, I really want the wind & sun of the removable roof panel. I'm so tired of not even being able to get a sunroof on a Mustang.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:34 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Originally Posted by JMII
7. I too assume parts are easy to source and replace if you DYI, its one of reasons I chose a C7 over a Cayman.
Compared to a Porsche? Absolutely. Compared to mustang? Nooooooooo....
Old 03-06-2019, 10:37 AM
GLOCK22357
Instructor

Compared to a Porsche? Absolutely. Compared to mustang? Nooooooooo....
Well, a Mustang is a bitch to work on. The Coyote motor is very complex, and it's tough to get at things on the front of the engine.

I'm really surprised about this; it looks to me like it would be easy to get at the front of an LT1 in a Corvette to change basic things.

But....then.....that's assuming things like alternators, pumps, etc. go bad, and they probably really don't.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:37 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Hopefully I'll get to compare handling characteristics of the C7 vrs. my car sometime this year. I have done some fantastic suspension mods to my car, and it handles and rides amazingly well, so if a C7 is better......well......it's worth it.

I'm surprised to hear C7s don't share some parts with other GM vehicles, but I suppose I can check on various part costs on the web. I do assume that LT1s are pretty damn reliable though.

The cool/rock-star thing isn't a concern of mine, it's all about the driving experience. The connection to the car, the way it drives, handles and brakes.

In the end, I really want the wind & sun of the removable roof panel. I'm so tired of not even being able to get a sunroof on a Mustang.
LT1s are very reliable no question there.

If driving experience is tops for you, you can't do much better than a corvette. I'd shoot for a grand sport if that is your thing. Look up the reviews/stats, there isn't much out there than handles and brakes better.

I'm not big on roof removal, but if that is your thing, I hear most prefer the convertible over the targa top.

Get notified of new replies

To Considering a C7, have questions

Old 03-06-2019, 10:39 AM
GLOCK22357
Instructor

LT1s are very reliable no question there.

If driving experience is tops for you, you can't do much better than a corvette. I'd shoot for a grand sport if that is your thing. Look up the reviews/stats, there isn't much out there than handles and brakes better.

I'm not big on roof removal, but if that is your thing, I hear most prefer the convertible over the targa top.
A GS is a bit out of my price range, I want to keep it to around $50K or so. They are amazing though, a GS is what I'd get if $$ was no object.

FWIW, I can't stand the look/style of convertibles, or I'd own one already.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:53 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I currently run Summer Only HP tires all year, it's really not a problem. Even in sub-freezing temps, you just have to drive normally, not hard.

It's odd that C7s use the RF tires, as they've got a reputation of riding harshly and not being very performance oriented. Obviously the tech has improved since I last read about them.
The summer tires on the corvette can crack in cold temps.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:02 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,318 Likes on 757 Posts

You have the right idea. In the end, we all have opinions but you need to cast a broad net and do your own comparison drive to make an informed decision. Camaro SS also uses LT1 so it adds a bit to the opportunity for OEM and after-market vendors. Again, I really prefer the C7 as a DD vs. what most "normal people" would select as a DD. Otherwise, I'd spend most of my driving around time wishing I were in the Vette instead. Sounds like you have a similar motivation. I think the targa is great; just not as good an experience from most reports as the top-down vert. But, you picked up on one of many reasons folks prefer the targa coupe (looks) -- and there is also the huge hatch area and lower cost of entry. Interestingly, owners say that top-up noise favors the vert -- but quieter tires (see tire rack reviews, though handling may be slightly compromised) and the Blockit kit (~$250 new, delivered) can really close the gap there....

Quick Reply: Considering a C7, have questions