C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrapped part of my Torch Red top with CF vinyl

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 07:55 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Default Wrapped part of my Torch Red top with CF vinyl

Playing around again with this wrap business, I was trying to wrap the whole top but the curves got to me. I saved the project by reducing it to just the central "hump" area.....the compound angles at the corners got the best of me....some day I will learn how to use a heat gun and stretch the vinyl. This particular vinyl matches the GM weave perfectly, I may switch my other wrapped components to it some day...not a big deal for me now. You can see how the material gathers in the corners and won't lay down naturally.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:26 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,784 Likes on 4,198 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Hmm.....not sure about this one....
Old 03-09-2019, 10:43 PM
carriccp
Burning Brakes

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Looks great, although I'd have to disagree about matching real carbon.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:17 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,047 Likes on 2,913 Posts

Don't be too hard on yourself. Labor is ridiculous to pay when you can DIY. Did you employ a heat gun / blow dryer?

..I'm wondering how I can get a hold of some and DIY the clear 3M wrap on parts of my C7. It's gotta be dirt cheap to just buy the material that shops charge thou$and$ in labor to apply. No way I'm going to pay $5,000.00 for something that costs just a few bucks for the vinyl and DIY it.....
Old 03-09-2019, 11:56 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,111 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Don't be too hard on yourself. Labor is ridiculous to pay when you can DIY. Did you employ a heat gun / blow dryer?

..I'm wondering how I can get a hold of some and DIY the clear 3M wrap on parts of my C7. It's gotta be dirt cheap to just buy the material that shops charge thou$and$ in labor to apply. No way I'm going to pay $5,000.00 for something that costs just a few bucks for the vinyl and DIY it.....
You can buy the 3m 1080 wrap material on eBay or Amazon. I did my hood stinger in G212 metallic black for around 25 bucks for the material and 10 bucks for the knifeless tape.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:00 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Hmm.....not sure about this one....
me neither...jury is out til I put it on the car. I did learn a few tricks, so not a total loss.

Originally Posted by z06inVB
You can buy the 3m 1080 wrap material on eBay or Amazon. I did my hood stinger in G212 metallic black for around 25 bucks for the material and 10 bucks for the knifeless tape.
Agree. This sheet was $15 and it came with some great extras....scissors, knife, cleaning cloth , coupon.

Originally Posted by carriccp
I have a C.F. top on my car....took a vinyl sample out to the garage and I was surprised how well it matched....same size weave pattern

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-10-2019 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button in the lower right hand corner (the middle icon) to make your responses to multiple people look like this!
Old 03-10-2019, 08:43 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,719 Likes on 14,213 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I can see how the various curves on the top would be a PITA to get the vinyl to lay flat. The old C5 top was much easier to lay vinyl on.

Like Steven, not so sure about the CF stripe up the center, but it doesn’t hurt to leave it on there for a while and see whether you like it or not.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:04 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I can see how the various curves on the top would be a PITA to get the vinyl to lay flat. The old C5 top was much easier to lay vinyl on.

Like Steven, not so sure about the CF stripe up the center, but it doesn’t hurt to leave it on there for a while and see whether you like it or not.
it lines up with the hood stinger stripe like a lot of other cars.....what's wrong with that ?!😀😀
Old 03-10-2019, 05:44 PM
Yarbie
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 218 Posts

Cheesy. Fake stuff is for cheesy cars. Vinyl is for imports. Not a vette. Why have something fake on your car???

Pep Boys has some other things you can add also.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-10-2019 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
The following users liked this post:
carriccp (03-10-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 03:56 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Yarbie
Cheesy. Fake stuff is for cheesy cars. Vinyl is for imports. Not a vette. Why have something fake on your car???

Pep Boys has some other things you can add also.
Lol, wow that’s pretty narrow minded. So I guess all these hundred thousand dollar exotics that are wrapped are cheesy cars? I get it that some people don’t like it, but saying it’s cheesy or for imports is ridiculous
Old 03-11-2019, 04:06 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by carriccp
It may not match perfect but it can look good. I did mine in carbon, but it was the first time I’ve ever wrapped anything so it didn’t come out perfect. I ended up switching to 3M and trying again and it came out great.

Fromnuttin, take your time. That was one thing that was hard the first time was getting it to all lay down. The trick is heat and not being afraid to stretch it, once I said screw it and started really putting heat to it and pulling as you squegeee it made a huge difference.

Last edited by Quik Z06; 03-11-2019 at 04:14 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:19 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,383 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe

Do it. I can't wait to see the result
Old 03-11-2019, 11:40 AM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by Yarbie
Why have something fake on your car?
Normally I would agree... but in this case it is not fake - the roof is carbon fiber, its just painted over (body colored) and not exposed.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:24 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
It may not match perfect but it can look good. I did mine in carbon, but it was the first time I’ve ever wrapped anything so it didn’t come out perfect. I ended up switching to 3M and trying again and it came out great.

Fromnuttin, take your time. That was one thing that was hard the first time was getting it to all lay down. The trick is heat and not being afraid to stretch it, once I said screw it and started really putting heat to it and pulling as you squegeee it made a huge difference.
Beautiful job...that's exactly what I was shooting for. The vinyl store sent me a youtube video where it took 2 guys to do a large sheet, one to stretch the vinyl and one to work the heat gun...they did an entire hood.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:10 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
Lol, wow that’s pretty narrow minded. So I guess all these hundred thousand dollar exotics that are wrapped are cheesy cars? I get it that some people don’t like it, but saying it’s cheesy or for imports is ridiculous
I call Living Under a Rock.......

Get notified of new replies

To Wrapped part of my Torch Red top with CF vinyl

Quick Reply: Wrapped part of my Torch Red top with CF vinyl