Sponsored by:

Front fender and door alignment

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 04:32 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by ArtClassShank
Pretty typical for the last 3 generations of Corvettes.
I assumed this is was the case due the car's construction (composite) vs a stamped steel body. The body panel alignment and gaps on my C7 are worse then my wife's Infiniti but better then my Dodge truck. My truck is so bad the wipers actually hit the hood in one place and you can see the door seam getting bigger on one end vs the other. On my C7 the rear bumper in particular is clearly misaligned. Its disappointing... but then you see orange peel and swirls in the paint and realize its never going to be perfect. I got my C7 used so my tolerance for imperfection is higher thus it doesn't keep me up at night. I'd rather have the engine and transmissions bits aligned properly.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:02 PM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

"Regarding your hood... they do the fenders then do the hood. Before the bumper is on it's very easy to center the hood perfectly between the fender gaps. Once the front bumper is on you cannot get to those bolts."

An even easier way to center a hood that is off by a mere 1 MM is just give it a little shove when you latch it. Centers it every time:yesnod:

Last edited by Frosty; 03-15-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:05 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,262 Likes on 6,041 Posts

Originally Posted by Frosty
"Regarding your hood... they do the fenders then do the hood. Before the bumper is on it's very easy to center the hood perfectly between the fender gaps. Once the front bumper is on you cannot get to those bolts." An even easier way to center a hood that is off by a mere 1 MM is just give it a little shove when you latch it. Centers it every time
No it wouldn't. The hinges at the front determine hood alignment. Once you latch it the strikers will settle into the latches that are bolted to the inner fenders. You would have to shim/move those to change anything and then you'd have to move them enough to where the striker is hitting one side to affect panel alignment. Just "pushing on it" when closing won't do anything to correct different hood gaps side to side.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:07 PM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

Not true. I do it every time. As I latch the hood I just manipulate the hood slightly by putting a little side pressure on it. The latches hold it perfectly. If you don't believe me, go try it yourself if your hood gaps are slightly off. We are only talking about a 1 MM movement.

Quick Reply: Front fender and door alignment