Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jay Leno says Corvette the worlds best sports car

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 10:33 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 869 Likes on 434 Posts

He is coming here next month, I'm going to try to get a pic of him w/ my car.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:53 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,710 Likes on 5,597 Posts

I agree with all above, Jay Leno is one of the good guys who has done more to promote the world of 'collector cars' than perhaps anyone else in existence. I have never met or spoken with Jay however have attended several events/sales where he was present and he always carries himself as the fine individual he is. I could share stories about other celebrities I'm seen at auctions who have behaved as the total A-holes they are.

Edited to add: I just want to clarify Jay's comment: "But when it comes to bargain sports cars, he says the Chevrolet Corvette is the world’s best". He didn't state that Corvette was the world's best sportscar as the title of this threads suggests.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 03-16-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:27 PM
KCV
Pro

Received 442 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
I agree with all above, Jay Leno is one of the good guys who has done more to promote the world of 'collector cars' than perhaps anyone else in existence. I have never met or spoken with Jay however have attended several events/sales where he was present and he always carries himself as the fine individual he is. I could share stories about other celebrities I'm seen at auctions who have behaved as the total A-holes they are.

Edited to add: I just want to clarify Jay's comment: "But when it comes to bargain sports cars, he says the Chevrolet Corvette is the world’s best". He didn't state that Corvette was the world's best sportscar as the title of this threads suggests.
Good point in your edit. Significant distinction.
The following users liked this post:
Kevin A Jones (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 01:41 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Great guy.

And for fans of sitcoms that don't kowtow to the Hollywood PC vision, you can get even more Jay on "Last Man Standing." He and Tim Allen are great buddies and car guys, and Leno proves to be a natural. He get some very funny (and occasionally "inside") lines. I wonder if he writes some of them...
Old 03-16-2019, 02:22 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,710 Likes on 5,597 Posts

Originally Posted by KCV
Good point in your edit. Significant distinction.
Yes, I believe most who know anything about sportscars would agree with Jay's statement, however there would no doubt be much serious debate among many as to what is the world's best sportscar.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:30 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmbbo
Sad day for late night entertainment when he "retired". The persistent story is that he was canned by the PC suits at NBC for telling a joke about the Community Organizer in Chief. Sad day for late night entertainment....

...and I'm sure that joke, back then, was far tamer than what is being spewed today by his late-night TV talk show host successors...
Old 03-17-2019, 02:44 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones

bargain meaning: 1. something on sale at a lower price than its true value:

I take it to mean that dollar for dollar, pound for pound, horsepower for horespower, the Corvette rules. You can spend far more on a sports car, but are you really getting the extra value for the car?
Old 03-17-2019, 07:52 PM
JK 23112
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 646 Posts

A friend of mine here in Richmond actually met Jay Leno and had a great 10-minute conversation with him. He said he is a great, stand-up kind of guy who is NOT political at all. I love "Jay Leno's Garage" on YouTube and try to catch it whenever I can.

Call me old-school, but I always enjoyed Johnny Carson & Jay Leno -- but just can't get into Conan O'Brien or Jimmy Fallon. Nothing against either of them, but it is just a generational thing.

The video of Jay Leno driving the new ZR-1 Corvette was awesome, by the way.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:55 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

We attended Jays show last year and it was very entertaining. Could have taken your kids to it. I believe Jay once said he never spent a dime of NBC money, and lived off his tour revenues. I’ve also heard he and his wife are super generous. He travels coach by himself, often renting cars to drive from gig to gig. Just a down to earth guy. Even heard some folks who ran into him say he extends a hand and introduces himself.

I love his attitude, he does not specifically own a car but is it’s current keeper, one of many keepers over the years. Jay has saved and resurrected many cars. We’re all better off for that.

As far as naysayers......just heard a saying today......ya know if we get to heaven someone will still be complaining or be negative.

seems appropriate here for some.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:59 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
We attended Jays show last year and it was very entertaining. Could have taken your kids to it. I believe Jay once said he never spent a dime of NBC money, and lived off his tour revenues. I’ve also heard he and his wife are super generous. He travels coach by himself, often renting cars to drive from gig to gig. Just a down to earth guy. Even heard some folks who ran into him say he extends a hand and introduces himself.

I love his attitude, he does not specifically own a car but is it’s current keeper, one of many keepers over the years. Jay has saved and resurrected many cars. We’re all better off for that.

As far as naysayers......just heard a saying today......ya know if we get to heaven someone will still be complaining or be negative.

seems appropriate here for some.
True on the money comments, and it's even more incredible considering that he and his wife don't have any children, so it's not like he's saving it for their inheritance.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:10 AM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
Jay is a class act.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:40 AM
ptalar
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

[QUOTE=Thunder22;1599063032]True on the money comments, and it's even more incredible considering that he and his wife don't have any children, so it's not like he's saving it for their inheritance.[/QUOTE

I always wondered what will happen to Jay's collection once he passes. I am guessing we will see it sold off on Barret-Jackson or Mecum as the Jay Leno collection.]

Quick Reply: Jay Leno says Corvette the worlds best sports car