C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where in the wide, wide world of sports is the pad sensor connector???

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 03:06 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts
Default Where in the wide, wide world of sports is the pad sensor connector???

I know there's probably a thread on here that will tell me but I've found a ton of threads on the "Brakes Worn" message and not where to find the connector. I've got the car up, wheels off, and there's plenty of life left in the pads. Don't see a problem with the sensor so I want to check the connectors but for the life of me I can't find the connector. I'm going to go out and look again, try to trace the sensor wire back but if someone can point me to it I'd appreciate it. Help me save what's left of my sanity

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-16-2019, 03:11 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

I could be wrong but I don't think there is an electrical signal just the old "squealer" system.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:26 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

This is the Z07, and has a sensor and a wire coming out the back of the caliper. It's in there somewhere.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:40 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

^^^ Same problem with resolution in this post.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1599051001
Old 03-16-2019, 08:04 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,486 Likes on 771 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Lol....yes it just squeals. There are little metal tabs that ride on the rotor whrn the pads wear down. There is nothing that interfaces to the electronics. Am I sure? Yes, i just swapped my pads to Powerstops this morning.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:27 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gliot1
Lol....yes it just squeals. There are little metal tabs that ride on the rotor whrn the pads wear down. There is nothing that interfaces to the electronics. Am I sure? Yes, i just swapped my pads to Powerstops this morning.
That’s awesome, and maybe yours have the tabs, but the Z07 option with the CCBs has a sensor. Am I sure? Yes. I just inspected all 4 of my calipers to check the sensor were in position and not worn through. Also managed to locate the connector but it’s quite a ways up from the caliper and kind of hard to reach so I just pushed on the back of the connector body to make sure it was fully seated. Looks like I have a trip to the dealer in my future. Oh joy.

Mike
Old 03-20-2019, 10:07 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Well, called the dealer about the brakes and it's going in tomorrow. Also going to have them look at the headliner. It's detaching a bit in each of the corners...two birds, one stone. I'll update the brake situation when I get the car back.

Mike
Old 03-21-2019, 12:53 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by c54u
Same problem with resolution in this post.
Makes sense. The system appears to work the same as my brother's Porsche. So if desired you can defeat it by permanently connecting the two wires inside the connector. Of course these means you need to monitor pad wear the old fashion way: IE taking the wheels off and inspecting the pads. We did this modification to his Porsche because non OEM track pads don't come with the wires and thus you get the error message on track days.

Metal "squeakers" only work on standard iron rotors, the Z07 Carbon Ceramic Brakes are a whole different animal thus the reason they have sensors.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:19 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JMII
Makes sense. The system appears to work the same as my brother's Porsche. So if desired you can defeat it by permanently connecting the two wires inside the connector. Of course these means you need to monitor pad wear the old fashion way: IE taking the wheels off and inspecting the pads. We did this modification to his Porsche because non OEM track pads don't come with the wires and thus you get the error message on track days.

Metal "squeakers" only work on standard iron rotors, the Z07 Carbon Ceramic Brakes are a whole different animal thus the reason they have sensors.
In theory, you are correct on shorting the wires. I believe there is some impedance there you may need to account for to prevent getting a message but maybe I'm misremembering that. In any event, the dealer has my car and it must be my lucky day because the intermittent message I've been getting actually came on just as I was talking to the service advisor. I don't think that's ever happened in my life. Be pretty hard for them to say they can't duplicate it now that they've seen it.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:06 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 265 Posts

Thread title..... a little nod for Blazing Saddles?

LOVE that movie
Old 03-21-2019, 10:07 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JeepSRT+C7
Thread title..... a little nod for Blazing Saddles?

LOVE that movie
Me too...and it's one they wouldn't make today.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:32 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by mcoomer
In theory, you are correct on shorting the wires. I believe there is some impedance there you may need to account for to prevent getting a message but maybe I'm misremembering that. In any event, the dealer has my car and it must be my lucky day because the intermittent message I've been getting actually came on just as I was talking to the service advisor. I don't think that's ever happened in my life. Be pretty hard for them to say they can't duplicate it now that they've seen it.
In the past, I've had good luck with taking a short iPhone video of whatever intermittent warning was bothering me and showing it to the dealer. However, this was a dealer who'd been maintaining our Corvettes for many years and we had a good relationship. Not sure how well that would work if I just rolled off the turnip truck.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:16 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Car is back and so far, no service light. These are the tech comments:

Worn pad lamp is not currently lit. Inspected brake pads and they are not low. Found bulletin #PIC6061C and inspected harness connectors for evidence of damage. Scanned codes and found C0288 set in history. Inspected harness and found front passenger brake pad wear indicator harness to have made contact with wheel and rubbed through insulation. Found rear passenger harness misrouted; routed to correct position.

So, sounds like the harness was routed such that it rubbed. They replaced the bad harness. Also, they're ordering a new headliner. You can hear the adhesive grab when you push up on the corner but it lets go almost immediately.

Mike
Old 03-22-2019, 05:55 PM
TXSteveF
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 94 Posts

The way they fold the fabric in the corners and glue that area doesn’t work well. I simply applied some spray adhesive in the corners and taped them tight with blue tape until they dried and all is good. Don’t be surprised if you get it back and it’s the same way. Try the spray adhesive, cheap and easy. Just my .02 for what it’s worth.

Get notified of new replies

To Where in the wide, wide world of sports is the pad sensor connector???

Quick Reply: Where in the wide, wide world of sports is the pad sensor connector???