Sponsored by:

C7 Vanity mirror cover broken

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 09:51 AM
Johnfromflorida
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default C7 Vanity mirror cover broken

My passenger side vanity mirror cover is broken. Me and my buddy were driving the other day with top off and he used the mirror but flipped the visor up without closing the mirror cover. So when i was putting the top i didnt see it, didnt have glassses on plus at night, broke the hinges.

I have been looking for a cover and does anybody know where i can get one. I see them for c6s but not for c7. I dont want to replace the whole visor unless i have to.

Any info on where i can get a new vanity mirror cover will be appreciated. Thank
Old 03-17-2019, 10:02 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,536 Likes on 796 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

On C6s you had to replace the entire visor......
Old 03-17-2019, 11:15 AM
Johnfromflorida
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I am not trying to start a discussion about c6 mirror covers but they do sell them in case someone needs it. https://www.southerncarparts.com/c6-...or-cover.html?

Please let me know if anybody sells C7 vanity mirror covers.

Thanks again
The following users liked this post:
briankhughes (12-03-2021)
Old 03-17-2019, 11:29 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,967 Likes on 946 Posts

My buddy's C7 vanity mirror cover broke and he had to replace the entire visor cause he couldn't find a replacement part about 2 years ago - not sure if anyone makes them now - I know I haven't seen any on the popular sites.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:06 PM
ScrapMaker
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Pretty bad design if they get damaged from the top. Mine finally snapped off from passengers leaving it up as well. This SURE seems like something that could be 3D printed. I ordered two whole replacement visors since that was the cheapest option on eBay, and I'll see if I can scan in both plastic lids. I'd much rather pay $50 for a lid than $150-300 for a new visor.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:22 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

If it helps, I've got a pair of trashed visors that someone painted bright red. I'd be happy to donate one or both to science.
Vette Jockey (09-16-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 03:41 PM
ScrapMaker
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
If it helps, I've got a pair of trashed visors that someone painted bright red. I'd be happy to donate one or both to science.
They painted over the suede? That's nutty.
Vette Jockey (09-16-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 03:52 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,252 Likes on 3,481 Posts

I'd simply go the my local helpful salvage yard guy and have him get me the entire visor. So many wrecked C7s over the years; it shouldn't be a problem.
miami08VETTE (05-12-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 04:08 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by ScrapMaker
They painted over the suede? That's nutty.
They were cloth, but yeah. Kinda weird. They feel like they're made of plastic now. I sacrificed them to see how hard it would be to disassemble and re-wrap a set in alcantara. They're basically high density foam, wrapped in cloth or microsuede, then folded over like a book and glued together. The mirror lids snap in, if I remember correctly.
Old 05-12-2022, 04:23 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Avanti
I'd simply go the my local helpful salvage yard guy and have him get me the entire visor. So many wrecked C7s over the years; it shouldn't be a problem.
Agree. Just what I was thinking. The owner of a local salvage yard is a member of our corvette club. If you can't find one, let me know and I will call them.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:55 PM
madmusicltd
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Red08
Agree. Just what I was thinking. The owner of a local salvage yard is a member of our corvette club. If you can't find one, let me know and I will call them.
the cover just pops off, mine broke as well, so I swapped the drivers side with the passenger side. I tried gluing the snap hinge back, but every time I try to snap it back on, it flexes, at least it stays on, not a very robust design. Just push the cover straight up and it will snap off the mirror, no need to replace the entire shade to replace the mirror cover.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:37 PM
ScrapMaker
Advanced

Originally Posted by madmusicltd
the cover just pops off, mine broke as well, so I swapped the drivers side with the passenger side. I tried gluing the snap hinge back, but every time I try to snap it back on, it flexes, at least it stays on, not a very robust design. Just push the cover straight up and it will snap off the mirror, no need to replace the entire shade to replace the mirror cover.
The reason you have to replace the entire shade, normally, is that you cannot purchase the plastic flap by itself. If you live somewhere with a good salvage yard, then that might be an option. Sure aren't any near here.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:47 PM
Jeffstern
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

There guys parting out on the parts forum all the time. I’d look there
Old 09-16-2022, 12:38 AM
OxfordVette
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D Print?

Originally Posted by ScrapMaker
Pretty bad design if they get damaged from the top. Mine finally snapped off from passengers leaving it up as well. This SURE seems like something that could be 3D printed. I ordered two whole replacement visors since that was the cheapest option on eBay, and I'll see if I can scan in both plastic lids. I'd much rather pay $50 for a lid than $150-300 for a new visor.
Hey man, did you ever get these C7 vanity mirrors to 3D print? I’d gladly pay someone for a set right now!
Old 09-16-2022, 02:33 AM
ScrapMaker
Advanced

Originally Posted by OxfordVette
Hey man, did you ever get these C7 vanity mirrors to 3D print? I’d gladly pay someone for a set right now!
Probably just like everyone else, I just bought the used ones and snapped on the missing part. It's super frustrating that I just had to pay so much money for a $1 piece of plastic.

I did not put the effort into scanning and printing the replacement. If was, I would have just taken the driver side, mirrored it in CAD, then printed both sides so they'd match. The most annoying part would be getting the alcantera glued to it. Maybe others would not need that.

For me, I would have easily paid $50, maybe even $100 for this stupid plastic flap. Grrrrrr
Old 09-19-2022, 11:30 AM
madmusicltd
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

IMO a 3D printed part of a bad design would fail as well. I understand that that cover cannot be purchased alone, Just bringing up the fact that you can remove "the cover" without out having to replace the entire visor, and that you can switch with driver side over, until both are broken.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Vanity mirror cover broken

Quick Reply: C7 Vanity mirror cover broken