Considering a C7 (first Vette)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 10:37 PM
Psychodo
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Considering a C7 (first Vette)

Hi,

Been looking at a getting a new C7, have owned a few other sports cars but never a Corvette. The discounts seem to be fairly robust right now, so I decided to take one for a test drive. I've been impressed with the manual and auto, just need to decide what trim to get for daily drive use here in Colorado. Not looking to track, mostly for short (ish) commutes and weekend fun in the mountains during nice weather. Look forward to getting some information here! Any recommendation for option/dealers welcome!

Last edited by Psychodo; 03-21-2019 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:08 PM
SuperdadZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 246 Posts

I just bought one for same use. Would highly recommend M7 and Z06 if u can swing it, if not GS. Also I went ragtop which has been incredible. good luck and expect at least 12% off on a new one
The following users liked this post:
Psychodo (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 12:24 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,284 Likes on 13,961 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I'm going to move this over to the C7 General section of the forum - there are helpful members that that can give you answers to your question.
Psychodo (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 06:53 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 415 Likes on 288 Posts

Get the most you can afford, it will be worth it! Good luck!
Psychodo (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 08:02 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Start with a M7 Convertible Stingray 2lt trim with NPP exhaust, then if your budget is right checkout the GS and Z06 in the same trim.
Psychodo (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 08:14 AM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

Right now, if you want a full featured car, the best bet at minimum is a 2LT GS. That gets you all of the performance features like selectable exhaust, dry sump oiling, electronic Diff, performance brakes, and magnetic ride, plus the fun luxury items like HUD and heated/cooled seats.

That said, even a Stingray with the 1LT interior and none of the aforementioned performance features is a blast to drive. It all comes down to how much you want to pay.
The following 2 users liked this post by Billy346:
Psychodo (03-22-2019), twowinns (03-23-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 08:16 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,981 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Honestly if your not going to track it you don’t need a Z. There is plenty of HP in every car for street use. You can save lot of money getting a base model if you like that body style. Your choice is a GS or base car depending on the wide body vrs base.

Money saved can can be used for the 3 series package which when you drive the car you will enjoy and use.

Its a choice between the body styles. I’ve had both and loved each. Of course color defines the overall looks of the car.

Not sure your timeline but if you can wait until fall, assuming the C8 is within sight, maybe bigger discounts. Even wo a new model, corvette sales slow up in the fall especially in the north.

Good luck.
Psychodo (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 08:35 AM
Psychodo
Instructor

Thanks everyone for the replies and to Vetteman for moving it

I've driven a base 1LT manual and a 3LT z51 with auto with were fun to drive.
Hadn't considered the Grand Sport as I thought they were more track focused than the base, guessing I have that wrong? Seemed like everything I read was the best combo overall for light track duty.
I'm thinking a 2 LT would would have most of the creature comforts (hearted states, HUD) etc that would make it more enjoyable as a DD, 3lt would be nice but I think out of my budget. Trying to keep it under 60K if possible, since we've got a big family trip out of the country and a bathroom remodel this year.

Timeline is open but I'd prefer to get one sooner rather than later to enjoy the best driving season out here.

Thanks again!!
Old 03-22-2019, 08:41 AM
Exia
Burning Brakes

Received 844 Likes on 351 Posts

Depends what features you enjoy. 2LT is the sweet spot but some people take 1LT because they don't want any of the features. If you want the car to feel like the interior is a real competitor to rivals I'd suggest 3LT and maybe the suede package.

Which model were you looking at? A base Stingray Is more then enough car for the street. I'd consider a Grand Sport if you were looking at optioning out a Stingray with all the bells and whistles as the price difference between the two is minimal at that point. If you want the best bang for the buck HP wise get the Z06.

As for A8 vs M7 its entirely up to you. If your fine with a manual in your daily commute get the stick. A8 is good when left to its own devices but I'd argue you'd get more enjoyment on a mountain road and weekend drives in the manual.
Psychodo (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 08:47 AM
Psychodo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Exia
Depends what features you enjoy. 2LT is the sweet spot but some people take 1LT because they don't want any of the features. If you want the car to feel like the interior is a real competitor to rivals I'd suggest 3LT and maybe the suede package.

Which model were you looking at? A base Stingray Is more then enough car for the street. I'd consider a Grand Sport if you were looking at optioning out a Stingray with all the bells and whistles as the price difference between the two is minimal at that point. If you want the best bang for the buck HP wise get the Z06.

As for A8 vs M7 its entirely up to you. If your fine with a manual in your daily commute get the stick. A8 is good when left to its own devices but I'd argue you'd get more enjoyment on a mountain road and weekend drives in the manual.
Looking at a base, as you indicated- more than enough power for my needs. the 3lt I drove was fairly optioned out and really nice inside but the price was pushing my budget. The A8 was fine and I would certainly not turn one down based on that alone but the M7 wold be my preference. Seems like most of the 2lt's and higher I've seen are optioned with the A8 however
Old 03-22-2019, 09:08 AM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

Still plenty of them out there. As you stated, the 2LT has the features you want. Keep looking, you’ll find it in a manual.
Don’t comprises!
Old 03-22-2019, 09:09 AM
Exia
Burning Brakes

Received 844 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Psychodo
Looking at a base, as you indicated- more than enough power for my needs. the 3lt I drove was fairly optioned out and really nice inside but the price was pushing my budget. The A8 was fine and I would certainly not turn one down based on that alone but the M7 wold be my preference. Seems like most of the 2lt's and higher I've seen are optioned with the A8 however
If you don't care enough to get the Z51 package then I'd get a base Stingray, 2LT, M7 with mag ride and performance exhaust. It will more then enough for your needs and the best combo for a daily driver/weekend warrior. Add whatever aesthetic options you need. Don't forget you can replace all the chrome on the exterior including the chrome bar across the grill with black for only $120 bucks so if you hate chrome make sure the car has the Carbon Flash badge package.
Psychodo (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 09:13 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

^^^^
This is a good combo based on OP's needs.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:22 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,473 Likes on 767 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

It is pretty hard to find many Z51 Stingrays in stock, and it appears because the price almost overlaps a base GS. I preferred the aggressive look of the GS, and for the few extra sheckles the 2LT gives u the extra accessories. Criswell gave me a 14% discount, which brought the price to $65k pre tax. I am happy I decided to go GS. If you are spending the $$$ make sure you get theone you really want if you plan on keeping it awhile.
Psychodo (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 10:36 AM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

If you don't care enough to get the Z51 package then I'd get a base Stingray, 2LT, M7 with mag ride and performance exhaust. It will more then enough for your needs and the best combo for a daily driver/weekend warrior.
Spot on. Mag-ride and performance exhaust are must haves in my book. The Z51 adds track focused items that tend to complicate matters like the dry sump oil system and brakes that dust too much. 3LT dashes have peeling issues so the 2LT package appears to be the sweet spot. Grand Sport has wider wheels that crack / bend. M7 has proven to be more reliable then A8.
Psychodo (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 10:42 AM
Psychodo
Instructor

Originally Posted by JMII
Spot on. Mag-ride and performance exhaust are must haves in my book. The Z51 adds track focused items that tend to complicate matters like the dry sump oil system and brakes that dust too much. 3LT dashes have peeling issues so the 2LT package appears to be the sweet spot. Grand Sport has wider wheels that crack / bend. M7 has proven to be more reliable then A8.
If you don't care enough to get the Z51 package then I'd get a base Stingray, 2LT, M7 with mag ride and performance exhaust. It will more then enough for your needs and the best combo for a daily driver/weekend warrior. Add whatever aesthetic options you need. Don't forget you can replace all the chrome on the exterior including the chrome bar across the grill with black for only $120 bucks so if you hate chrome make sure the car has the Carbon Flash badge package.
hmm.. had not considered the Mag ride. That would certainly make sense for my needs. 2Lt M7 with Mag/exhaust would certainly fall in my budget too. Trick is finding one with that spec, with a preferred color combo I would think. Suppose I could order one that way too. thanks!
Old 03-22-2019, 11:15 AM
naylor99
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Psychodo
Hi,

Been looking at a getting a new C7, have owned a few other sports cars but never a Corvette. The discounts seem to be fairly robust right now, so I decided to take one for a test drive. I've been impressed with the manual and auto, just need to decide what trim to get for daily drive use here in Colorado. Not looking to track, mostly for short (ish) commutes and weekend fun in the mountains during nice weather. Look forward to getting some information here! Any recommendation for option/dealers welcome!

I think you have zeroed in on it, and very similar to me. I will order one next week. 2LT Stingray Convertible, Manual, Magride, Performance Exhaust, and a few other goodies I want, in color combos I like. I want a convertible because it is quieter and I will use it more than removing the top. The GS is 4 inches wider and my garage is already tight. The GS is also louder - more tire noise - and more $$$. I've been looking nationwide, and manuals are rare. I want a manual because it is my fun car. 2LTs are rare with the equipment listed. And I specifically wanted something other than a plain black interior. Mine will have Grey leather, sueded inserts, and two tone (Grey w Black inserts) seats. (I'm just really tired of black interiors.) Factory order will take 6-8 weeks to build. I'm also opting for the Museum Delivery - Wife and I will make a trip of it and have a great experience. Another nice benefit of buying new is you can attend the driving school in Vegas for $1000. I'm told this is all worth your time and money - even if you have no plans to track/race. (I certainly don't, but will attend the driving school).

Order what you want, and best of luck to you.

Last edited by naylor99; 03-22-2019 at 11:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by naylor99:
Psychodo (03-22-2019), twowinns (03-23-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Considering a C7 (first Vette)

Old 03-22-2019, 11:24 AM
Psychodo
Instructor

Originally Posted by naylor99
I think you have zeroed in on it, and very similar to me. I will order one next week. 2LT Stingray Convertible, Manual, Magride, Performance Exhaust, and a few other goodies I want, in color combos I like. I want a convertible because it is quieter and I will use it more than removing the top. The GS is 4 inches wider and my garage is already tight. The GS is also louder - more tire noise - and more $$$. I've been looking nationwide, and manuals are rare. I want a manual because it is my fun car. 2LTs are rare with the equipment listed. And I specifically wanted something other than a plain black interior. Mine will have Grey leather, sueded inserts, and two tone (Grey w Black inserts) seats. (I'm just really tired of black interiors.) Order what you want, and best of luck to you.
Yeah, can't find any convertibles to my liking with a stick and tired of the plain black interiors.. I'd really like a red interior - always wanted a red interior and told myself that if I get one it will have a red interior. Discounts still pretty good on special orders?
Old 03-22-2019, 12:21 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

I love the look of the Grand sport and 2LT adds almost everything I want. If you can get it now to enjoy this summer!
Old 03-22-2019, 12:48 PM
On the road
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased the GS 2LT. The only regret that I have is that it doesn't have the Performance Data Recorder.

Quick Reply: Considering a C7 (first Vette)