Sponsored by:

Another sucky dealer experience [South Florida]

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 02:10 PM
LarryFL
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Another sucky dealer experience

Started getting the "Service: Brakes Worn" message. Using this awesome forum, I was able to identify the exact cause before I took it in.

1. Bring it in, mention its 99% probably a bad $35 sensor. (they nod, placate, thumbs up, thanks for the info, blah blah)
2. Two hours later I peek into the service bay to see they have my car up, wheels still mounted, hood up, and poking around underneath with a flashlight. I ask what the issue is and tech says they must replace the brake module.
3. I leave my car there expecting to pick up later in the day. I get phone call that the module was unusable because it was already programmed for another vette, and have to order a new one.I pick up my car so i have it for the weekend.
5. They call me and I bring it back the following Friday. They have it all day then tell me they can't figure it out. I leave it for the weekend in their 'capable' hands.
6. Get a call first thing Monday AM saying car is ready. I arrive and they say they replaced the right front pad sensor.

Ferfuksakes!

I love this forum, hate the local dealers. Not angry at the steps they took, but at the fact they completely ignored my suggestion only to end up right back there 10 days later.

Last edited by LarryFL; 04-30-2019 at 06:54 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:30 PM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Which dealer? PM me pls.. Hope it is not mine.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:05 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,217 Likes on 3,459 Posts

All tooooooo frequent report here.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:47 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

With all the sensors, diagnostic aids and trouble shooting guides like the FSM, you have to wonder why it takes 10 days to figure something out.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:48 PM
GASCAR
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts

I live 45 minutes away from Mac Mulkin Chevrolet one of the biggest corvette dealers in the country. I'm moving to Florida next year and will miss the awesome service and knowledge they have. Can you recommend a good dealer in the Port St Lucie area?
Old 04-29-2019, 09:25 PM
LarryFL
Racer

Originally Posted by GASCAR
I live 45 minutes away from Mac Mulkin Chevrolet one of the biggest corvette dealers in the country. I'm moving to Florida next year and will miss the awesome service and knowledge they have. Can you recommend a good dealer in the Port St Lucie area?
Dyer Ft Pierce is your only choice within a reasonable distance. Yelp reviews are not great but never are for car dealers. They have 16 wide body C7's in stock (seven Z06's). Not a bad fleet. They obviously sell a bunch for a rural/suburban dealership. Go visit them and insist on talking to a Corvette tech. You will know pretty quickly if they service a lot of Corvettes if he is familiar with the issues we see on the forum.

Last edited by LarryFL; 04-29-2019 at 09:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GASCAR (04-30-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 11:20 PM
George Sosa
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I just purchased a 2018 Z06 from Rick Conti in Columbus,OH.
Drove the car from Ohio to Miami over the weekend. Took in to Greico in Fort Lauderdale for first oil change today.....we shall see.

Love to know who this dealer was.

G
Old 04-30-2019, 09:25 AM
snampro
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 166 Posts

so...why take it to a dealer if you knew the problem? even if this is a warranty repair, I'd rather spend $35 on a sensor and not have some moron kidnapping and abusing my car multiple times...
Old 04-30-2019, 09:37 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

I can appreciate the OP's chagrin at the situation but the real problem was not accepting the diagnosis supplied off the internet but the time and effort it took to actually find the problem. If the dealer you go to is dependent on some obscure forum to reliably supply the fix on your car...you are absolutely going to the wrong dealer!
Old 04-30-2019, 11:11 AM
LarryFL
Racer

Originally Posted by snampro
so...why take it to a dealer if you knew the problem? even if this is a warranty repair, I'd rather spend $35 on a sensor and not have some moron kidnapping and abusing my car multiple times...
Because I was only 99% sure. Actually, some of what I heard on the forum is that the issue is sometimes the brake module needs replacement, but only AFTER they checked all the senors. I assumed they checked the sensors first, not last.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:37 PM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 894 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryFL
Dyer Ft Pierce is your only choice within a reasonable distance. Yelp reviews are not great but never are for car dealers. They have 16 wide body C7's in stock (seven Z06's). Not a bad fleet. They obviously sell a bunch for a rural/suburban dealership. Go visit them and insist on talking to a Corvette tech. You will know pretty quickly if they service a lot of Corvettes if he is familiar with the issues we see on the forum.
Took my GS in for an oil change there last summer, asked for 0W-40. I picked it up, and they had put 5W-30 in it. Service writer told me they would change it out while I waited, to 0W-40. Was completed in another 45 minutes.
Next day I had oil dripping on my garage floor, coming out of my intake. They had overfilled the oil by about 1 1/2 quarts.
Schumacher in North Palm tightened my lug nuts to about 300 ft/lbs when they changed out a set of tires.
Wallace in Stuart wrote on my service order after my 500 mile oil change that the 'tires need to be replaced, will be cording soon. They were new Cup 2s, with 500 miles on them, they just had no clue what performance tires tread looks like.

I do my own maintenance on my 19Z. Bello Motorsports in West Palm Beach did my alignment - great shop, highly recommend!

Last edited by fatsport; 04-30-2019 at 01:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GASCAR (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 01:58 PM
LarryFL
Racer

Originally Posted by fatsport
Took my GS in for an oil change there last summer, asked for 0W-40. I picked it up, and they had put 5W-30 in it. Service writer told me they would change it out while I waited, to 0W-40. Was completed in another 45 minutes.
Next day I had oil dripping on my garage floor, coming out of my intake. They had overfilled the oil by about 1 1/2 quarts.
Schumacher in North Palm tightened my lug nuts to about 300 ft/lbs when they changed out a set of tires.
Wallace in Stuart wrote on my service order after my 500 mile oil change that the 'tires need to be replaced, will be cording soon. They were new Cup 2s, with 500 miles on them, they just had no clue what performance tires tread looks like.

I do my own maintenance on my 19Z. Bello Motorsports in West Palm Beach did my alignment - great shop, highly recommend!
Yowlza! - I would've thought 300ft/lbs would snap the bolt right off, or crack the aluminum rim..
I find it strange when my adviser looks at me funny when I seem worried about leaving the car with them, repeatedly telling them not to wash it, wanting to speak to the tech in person, etc, etc. With the crap you describe above, they shouldn't be surprised.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:05 PM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Took a 2 foot breaker bar with a pipe over the end for leverage to get them off. Idiots...
Old 04-30-2019, 02:25 PM
0Ray@DyerAuto
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GASCAR
Welcome to PSL! We have two stores, Vero Beach and Fort Pierce.

In Fort Pierce, your contacts would be Todd (service manager) and Kelly (senior service advisor - decades of experience) and Kurt (our Corvette tech at this location).

If you need anything from us, let me know. I'm happy to help however I can. My direct line is 772-539-4656

Last edited by Ray@DyerAuto; 04-30-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:30 PM
Daniel-DD
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fatsport
Took a 2 foot breaker bar with a pipe over the end for leverage to get them off. Idiots...
Had that same problem on my wife's Lexus GS350. My 600ft/lb air impact wouldn't break them loose. I had to use a 1/2 inch breaker bar with a 3 foot piece of black pipe as additional leverage to break the lug nuts loose. Three of the four wheels were this way. I called the Lexus service manager and detailed the incident and told them the recommended wheel torque was 85ft/lbs, not to mention possible damage to the aluminum wheel and more importantly - what would we have done if this happened on the road and I didn't have access to my home shop tools. He apologized profusely and offered to make whatever concessions were necessary to make it right. At that point, I had already calmed down and said no concessions were needed, but the tech doing the work needed to be re-trained. They assured me this would take place.

Yes, there are idiots everywhere and most think they can get away with this as they believe the customer is oblivious to these types of shenanigans. I would strongly suggest you notify the service manager if this happens again. It is the only way I know of to hold them accountable.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:21 PM
snampro
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 166 Posts

fatsport: that's why I do my maintenance. there is nothing professional about the majority of shops.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:24 PM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I took the intake manifold off after I found the oil leaking out of the intake when it was overfilled. This is a motor with less than 7000 miles

Get notified of new replies

To Another sucky dealer experience [South Florida]

Quick Reply: Another sucky dealer experience [South Florida]