Sponsored by:

2017 Corvette Grand Sport blown engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 04:55 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ99FRC
Could one of you experts explain how the dealership could even suspect driver error on a new engine with no mods and the data recorder proof? Just how would you blow an engine given these facts? I would go to a different dealership...I've never had one tell me how much it's gonna cost me if they decide it's somehow my fault. That kind of attitude would worry me and I would not advise the OP to relax!

I agree, find a different dealer, I'm not sure I'd want them doing the work, regardless of where the fault lies. If you had no mods, there should be no questions asked, the computer petty much eliminates many Z(if not most) of today's 'driver errors' causing over revving.
The following users liked this post:
MyC7BROKE (06-25-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 05:08 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by lwise4
Did I not see the TACH go over 7K twice?
No, you did not. You are reading the gauge wrong. It went slightly over 6500 twice. I would guess 6600 or 6650. It never got close to 7000.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:27 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Received 666 Likes on 275 Posts

And your point being what? If you go into the red you're dead?

Op, you'll be fine. Nothing indicating a problem in the video. (Knowing the issues the LT1 has, it will have started with a broken lifter)

I know other mention the issue of racing a production car... but If GM takes issue tracking a car they themselves post track times of... I personally would never buy another one. I don't NEED a Corvette... but they DO need to sell them! I know there would be plenty of people to take up the slack from me walking a way... I'm sure I'm not the only one that would take issue with that stance from GM though!
MyC7BROKE (06-25-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 05:43 PM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

Received 1,076 Likes on 694 Posts

Was watching with my wife and I did mention that to her, not much and not for long ?

Last edited by Vette Ski; 05-12-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:55 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

I don't blame the OP for being nervous - If a big company can get out of a warranty claim, for any reason, they will do so.

Let them tear down the engine and see what they do. If they try to blame it on you, then get a lawyer.
MyC7BROKE (06-25-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 07:04 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
I don't blame the OP for being nervous - If a big company can get out of a warranty claim, for any reason, they will do so.

Let them tear down the engine and see what they do. If they try to blame it on you, then get a lawyer.
Can you please relate to us how many times you have personally seen GM turn down an engine that was blown without proof of neglect or abuse? I was a Service Manager in a very large Chevrolet dealership and then dealer principal for 40 years and my total was zero!
The following 5 users liked this post by JALLEN4:
Crossed Flags Fan (06-11-2019), HooosierDaddy (05-12-2019), JDSC8VETTE (05-14-2019), kenownr (06-12-2019), vettefordays (06-11-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 07:40 PM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

Received 1,076 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
Can you please relate to us how many times you have personally seen GM turn down an engine that was blown without proof of neglect or abuse? I was a Service Manager in a very large Chevrolet dealership and then dealer principal for 40 years and my total was zero!
Thats' good to hear for the OP!
Rich
Old 05-12-2019, 11:39 PM
Goob8869
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had it happened to me on a 09 Tahoe and 08 Silverado. My truck blew up with 42k miles and Tahoe at 48k. GM rebuilt both no cost no problems until my truck blew up again at 44k miles and the Tahoe 52k. In between the blow ups my warranty ran out time wise on both vehicles. GM said they would not repair neither vehicle because warranty had run out and they were low on oil. Luckily my dealership would not let this happen and fought for them to fix it and after my vehicles sitting their for almost a month they finally fixed both of them. I picked both of them up and drove them straight to a Ford dealership and have not owned a Chevy since until recently picking up a GS. I will never buy another truck or SUV from them again.
MyC7BROKE (06-25-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 10:52 AM
ANGST_VA
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
Honestly, I think there is a distinct possibility you are going to get stuck for the repair on this. While many believe that because GM publishes a "track prep" procedure, this means the car is a "race car". It really isn't, it's a mass produced great handling fast sports car designed for normal use as a sports car on roads and highways.. IMO GM puts out "track prep" info to provide a bit of a safety margin for the engine and drive train for those wanting to track their car. They do not warranty the car as a race car if you choose to operate it as one (even though many believe that by having a track prep procedure it implies GM does)..

One only has to look at any race team and the cars they run. They have staff of mechanics w/ spare parts and motors. The engines are likely hand built with exact tolerances. These cars suffer their fair share of mechanical issues and DNF's (and they are dedicated race cars). I'm of the opinion that if you decide to race your car, be prepared to replace any and all parts that fail.

I hope they cover the engine...but you can bet they will be going every bit of computer data stored and looking over the failed part w/ a microscope.

HPDE and "Track days" like the OP is doing is very specifically NOT racing . When a professional race team preps a car and motor , it is not exactly for reliability . If the race is 500 miles , you need it reliable for 502 miles , wring every ounce of HP out and the expense of longer term reliability.

Chevy fully expects some Corvette owners to take their car to the track for HPDE , this is why they give you the PDR option . Driving your car fast on a track does not void your warranty . racing your car does.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:09 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

"proof of neglect or abuse' - like I said, they will look for any reason to not cover it. It may be different for the corvette since they are sold as track cars, but for other cars, I've seen lots of warranty claims denied due to track use. I personally have never had one turned down because I've never had any major engine issues.

If what you say is correct then the OP doesn't have anything to worry about, which is why I advised he only get a lawyer if GM tries to deny responsibility.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:39 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Originally Posted by Goob8869
I had it happened to me on a 09 Tahoe and 08 Silverado. My truck blew up with 42k miles and Tahoe at 48k. GM rebuilt both no cost no problems until my truck blew up again at 44k miles and the Tahoe 52k. In between the blow ups my warranty ran out time wise on both vehicles. GM said they would not repair neither vehicle because warranty had run out and they were low on oil. Luckily my dealership would not let this happen and fought for them to fix it and after my vehicles sitting their for almost a month they finally fixed both of them. I picked both of them up and drove them straight to a Ford dealership and have not owned a Chevy since until recently picking up a GS. I will never buy another truck or SUV from them again.

what are you doing to blow up four motors in that time frame? LOL

Seems like you either are doing something wrong, or are the unluckiest person with engines.
The following 2 users liked this post by Marcho Polo:
449er (05-31-2019), NSC5 (06-12-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 12:55 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by ANGST_VA
HPDE and "Track days" like the OP is doing is very specifically NOT racing . When a professional race team preps a car and motor , it is not exactly for reliability . If the race is 500 miles , you need it reliable for 502 miles , wring every ounce of HP out and the expense of longer term reliability.

Chevy fully expects some Corvette owners to take their car to the track for HPDE , this is why they give you the PDR option . Driving your car fast on a track does not void your warranty . racing your car does.
FWIW, I think we are splitting hairs. Whether one is competing against other drivers on a track, running WOT to red-line or doing the same by yourself, the car and its components do not know the difference. The same amount of stress is placed on the car whether it's running a qualification lap or a race lap. My point being, that if one takes a mass produced car whether it's a high performance sports car or a commuter and runs it at its limits, one can expect a higher chance of a component failing.

Certainly I hope GM cover the OP's car. It could easily be a defective mass produced engine part that failed that caused the problem. The inspection will reveal that as well the data logging in the computer.

Car manufacturers publish lap times and 0-60 times to entice people that value those numbers to buy their cars. Many do and rarely if ever verify those numbers in real life. Majority are content to know their car is capable of achieving that performance level and nothing more other than the occasional spirited driving foray on the street or highway. Those that choose to run their car at the limit should be aware that there is a inherent risk that a failure may not be covered should it occur while engaging in the practice.

Just like insurance claims for an accident, each company will try to assign blame or at least share with the other driver even though one driver may be completely faultless.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:00 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

it did get in the red twice, the worst one during a downshift.
but the redline is at 6500RPM, so it's probably around 6700 or so....

Would this be enough for GM to deny warranty? I'm sure these will show up in history. My dad overrevved his LS1 Camaro years ago during a track event, and a little later spun and got a check engine light. Car ran fine, he went home and dealer was able to tell him what RPM he hit and other info. The check engine light was for something minor, no damage done, but was interesting what the dealer was able to see. That was in 1998.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:16 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Would think any track event would kill the warranty. Wonder it the data collector holds a GPS location for the engine failure?
And you would be wrong.
The following 2 users liked this post by Steve_R:
2Laidback (06-11-2019), vettefordays (06-11-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 01:39 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,076 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Would think any track event would kill the warranty. Wonder it the data collector holds a GPS location for the engine failure?
Originally Posted by Steve_R
And you would be wrong.
Wrong, indeed. Here's a quote from Tadge in the Ask Tadge sub forum:

unlike some other manufacturers, driving on the track does not automatically void the warranty.
The following 3 users liked this post by Zymurgy:
2Laidback (06-11-2019), BEAR-AvHistory (05-14-2019), RapidC84B (06-25-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 01:51 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Originally Posted by JDSC7VETTE
Why do so many feel that GM is just looking for a way out of doing warranty work and want to put the blame on the operator? That is such a bull **** way of thinking.

I have dealt with GM on so many different issues including two engine failures where one was under warranty and the other out of warranty. Both times GM covered all my costs without question and even went above and beyond my expectations.
coughautomatictransmissionfailurescough, coughbentwheelscough...
Old 05-13-2019, 01:56 PM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Letkewicz

I agree with GM inspecting the car, but I will return to my original question:

How can an engineer look at damage parts and determine the parts were damaged by driver abuse?
I would say much the same way it took a district manager to come and look at my delaminating 3LT leather dash before the dealer would initiate the repair.. It seems to me some service managers are hesitant to perform any type of warranty repair that ultimately may be denied by GM and the dealer is on the hook for the cost of said repair. I showed a picture of my dash to a different service manager and his question was " why was there even a question of replacing the faulty item? "
MyC7BROKE (06-25-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 Corvette Grand Sport blown engine

Old 05-13-2019, 02:03 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by fake
Get an attorney remain silent and give them no more than a week to tear it down and if you have the time take pictures! Also make sure they have qualified mechanics not kids ripping it apart. Check on the lemon laws in your state if you have that resource contact them first!! Do not let the dealer ship know you have legal console until they give you negative feelings. Good Luck!
Well said, and insist on being present during the teardown. Take videos. Document everything and get copies of communication between the shop and GM. It ain't over til it's over and you are satisfied and compensated.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:01 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
Well said, and insist on being present during the teardown. Take videos. Document everything and get copies of communication between the shop and GM. It ain't over til it's over and you are satisfied and compensated.
Some people just make some pathetic attempts to play "Big Man". I certainly don't speak for the dealer who is actually involved but I also can assure you I speak for a lot of dealers.

When you show up with the attorney, work stops! You have no right to film anything without my permission...ever! Who do you think you are to demand my communications with anybody...ever! Your obnoxious actions would assure my telling you to take your broken car and pathetic butt out of my store immediately...forever!

People who act like actual reasonable human beings get exactly what they are owed at GM dealerships 99.9% of the time. But, dealers have enough money they are not going to be intimidated by some jerk and his two bit ambulance chaser!
The following 5 users liked this post by JALLEN4:
Crossed Flags Fan (06-11-2019), JDSC8VETTE (05-14-2019), NSC5 (06-12-2019), scuba pro (06-25-2019), Steve_R (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 05:31 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,714 Likes on 2,999 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Well, It took exactly 4 replies to this post before the "get an attorney" advice started. Why does this man need an attorney before he even knows if GM will warranty his engine or not? Sue first & find out the results later I guess
Crossed Flags Fan (06-11-2019)

Quick Reply: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport blown engine