Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Corvette Grand Sport blown engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 11:01 PM
Tom Letkewicz
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have no plans for attorney at this time.

My course of action

1. Take car to the dealership I bought the car from
2. I would like to see the ECM log first before tearing down engine. If the ECM conclusively blames driver error, then I will have to decide what to do. If not then (3).
3. Tear engine down and hopefully I get a new one covered by warranty.

I am convinced I did not miss a shift. My video also shows over revving was not present at the time of failure. Whether or not dipping into the red momentarily will blow the engine on the next lap......I don't know the answer?

Dropping the car off on Saturday, will know more next week.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:54 PM
Goob8869
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcho Polo
what are you doing to blow up four motors in that time frame? LOL

Seems like you either are doing something wrong, or are the unluckiest person with engines.
I did nothing to the motors GM had a problem with them and the dealer told me that they should be recalled but GM did not want to fix every motor. GM would only pay to rebuild the top end the first time I took them in and if that didnt work they would replace or rebuild the rest until my warranty ran out in the meantime. My truck had used 1.5 qts of oil in 2k miles since being rebuilt and they still tried to make me pay. My trucks are babied and are not mistreated in any way whatsoever.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:44 AM
flying_vette
Pro

Received 239 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Letkewicz

My course of action

2. I would like to see the ECM log first before tearing down engine. If the ECM conclusively blames driver error, then I will have to decide what to do. If not then (3).

I am convinced I did not miss a shift. My video also shows over revving was not present at the time of failure. Whether or not dipping into the red momentarily will blow the engine on the next lap......I don't know the answer?

Very reasonable plan, good luck on getting it resolved to your satisfaction. I would recommend approaching the dealership with open mind and not immediately demand ECM log or anything, just explain them what happened and see what they have to say about next steps. You may get a good surprise, never know. When they decide to go for tear down then you can request the ECM logs and discuss the outcome with them.
Also, the dealer who just looked at your car has probably already noted down bunch of details around it with GM and new dealer will see those details...hope all positive.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:22 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
People who act like actual reasonable human beings get exactly what they are owed at GM dealerships 99.9% of the time. But, dealers have enough money they are not going to be intimidated by some jerk and his two bit ambulance chaser!
Tell that to all the people who are going in with bent or cracked wheels and GM is telling them it's not shitty wheels, it's the drivers fault.

Or the A8 owners who go in with a bad driveline due to the clusterfuck that AFM is, and are getting fluid changes that do nothing but push the actual problem down the road past warranty coverage.

This is happening a lot more than .1% of the time.
The following 2 users liked this post by kennyjames21:
MyC7BROKE (06-25-2019), vettefordays (06-11-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 09:23 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

My course of action

This is the way to go dude, good luck!
Old 05-14-2019, 09:54 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
Tell that to all the people who are going in with bent or cracked wheels and GM is telling them it's not shitty wheels, it's the drivers fault.

Or the A8 owners who go in with a bad driveline due to the clusterfuck that AFM is, and are getting fluid changes that do nothing but push the actual problem down the road past warranty coverage.

This is happening a lot more than .1% of the time.
GM sold 2,954,037 vehicles in 2018. Of that total, .7 of one percent were Corvettes. Of the Corvettes sold, not all were automatic and certainly not all were the GS model with the wheel problem. I am going to take a wild guess that although you want to hold up these examples, you have no idea as to the real problem other than what you read on this forum.

I am not saying GM is perfect by any means. They have their faults and I will guarantee you I have seen theirs first hand far more often than you. I would though state unequivocally, only an idiot would think they need to hire an attorney every time they have a warranty claim!
The following users liked this post:
4thC4at60 (06-11-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 09:58 AM
Oldguychuck
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Been following this post and have a question. Do not want to start any C6 vs C7 back and forth but does anyone here think the engine issues are related to the LT1 switch?
It seems that I am seeing more issues with the C7 both engine and transmission than with the C6 and LS3 and A6. . I don't remember seeing a LS blown without overriding and I firmly believe the A6 had less issues than than the A8 does. Am I wrong or is this just a one off issue and not like the A8 or the GS wheels?
Old 05-14-2019, 10:04 AM
nightroddersp
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a 2017 GS with a blown engine. I took it to a dealership and they informed me that they would have to tear engine down and have a GM engineer look at the failed parts and determine if it was part failure or driver error. The engine tear down would cost me $1300 if GM refuses to honor warranty. I asked them how they can determine driver error by looking at failed parts. I never got a definite answer just we have to tear it down to determine the failure. I even have a data recording of the time before and during the engine failure. The recording shows no missed shift or excessive revs. I guess I am looking for some advice on how to handle this and an answer to the question: Can looking at damaged parts after an engine tear down determine if the driver is a fault? Thanks.

Over revving will cause dis-colorization of the crank, the rods and the associated bearings. How much oil sludge and build up inside the block could indicate oil failure / breakdown from running hot, not necessarily out of range hot but operating at an extended time in the upper temperature range. A bearing will raise oil pressure slightly until its wiped and then flow more because of excess bearing clearances. Fuel delivery could be compromised by a bad injector that could be pouring fuel into a cylinder that can not be compressed. Chevy needs the data as well to figure out future fixes and how to stop said failures. I just stayed at the Holiday Inn this is just my opinion not fact. So if I am wrong so be it. Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by nightroddersp:
ANGST_VA (05-14-2019), MyC7BROKE (06-25-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 10:08 AM
ANGST_VA
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

My course of action

This is a sound plan. I would not sweat it yet .

I think the dealer you first spoke to may not of had the best "bedside manner" .

The engine teardown can expose items that would void the warranty . Something like aftermarket cams comes to mind , or something like you poured sand into your oil , or many other things we probably could not think of.

My Ford dealer offers a "lifetime powertrain" on any vehicle they sell and serviced by them. There was a guy in there with an F150 where the timing chain skipped and needed some engine work. The service writers exact words were almost the same as you heard "We need to tear down the engine and determine the cause. If it is something that isn't covered you will be charged $xxxx for the teardown"

They are just CYA in case you did your last oil change with maple syrup or something. I know we , as enthusiasts , tend to forget how little some people know about cars , I am sure dealerships see the craziest things.

Last edited by ANGST_VA; 05-14-2019 at 10:12 AM.
vettefordays (06-10-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 11:23 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Some people just make some pathetic attempts to play "Big Man". I certainly don't speak for the dealer who is actually involved but I also can assure you I speak for a lot of dealers.

When you show up with the attorney, work stops! You have no right to film anything without my permission...ever! Who do you think you are to demand my communications with anybody...ever! Your obnoxious actions would assure my telling you to take your broken car and pathetic butt out of my store immediately...forever!

People who act like actual reasonable human beings get exactly what they are owed at GM dealerships 99.9% of the time. But, dealers have enough money they are not going to be intimidated by some jerk and his two bit ambulance chaser!
Every smart consumer knows you don't need no stinkin ' lawyer; just bring Donuts!
Old 05-14-2019, 02:51 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

GM sold 2,954,037 vehicles in 2018. Of that total, .7 of one percent were Corvettes. Of the Corvettes sold, not all were automatic and certainly not all were the GS model with the wheel problem. I am going to take a wild guess that although you want to hold up these examples, you have no idea as to the real problem other than what you read on this forum.

I am not saying GM is perfect by any means. They have their faults and I will guarantee you I have seen theirs first hand far more often than you. I would though state unequivocally, only an idiot would think they need to hire an attorney every time they have a warranty claim!
First of all, you're the one claiming GM would never try to dodge responsibility for fair warranty claims - well I gave you a couple of examples of where they are clearly doing just that. The wheel issue is because the wheels are **** quality cast wheels - there is no way in hell a quality wheel should be bending and cracking with the regularity of these C7 wheels - one of the top car mags did a long term test of a c7 and they bent or cracked 6 or 7 wheels in 30-40k miles, and noted that it was an obvious problem with the wheels. The driveline problem with the A8s is obviously a poor design issue. I've read enough about both to know they are not a user error issue. But instead of dealing with their issues, GM claims there isn't even a problem with the wheels and is only changing fluids in the driveline issue which any mechanically inclined individual knows is nothing more than a bandaid to push the issue past warranty coverage.

Secondly, I never said the guy should get an attorney right off the bat, in fact, I said he should let GM do their engine work through and only get a lawyer if GM refuses to fix it under warranty.
The following 3 users liked this post by kennyjames21:
Kvou812 (05-14-2019), MyC7BROKE (06-25-2019), OntarioOrangeC3 (05-15-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 07:37 PM
Kvou812
Burning Brakes

Received 632 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
First of all, you're the one claiming GM would never try to dodge responsibility for fair warranty claims - well I gave you a couple of examples of where they are clearly doing just that. The wheel issue is because the wheels are **** quality cast wheels - there is no way in hell a quality wheel should be bending and cracking with the regularity of these C7 wheels - one of the top car mags did a long term test of a c7 and they bent or cracked 6 or 7 wheels in 30-40k miles, and noted that it was an obvious problem with the wheels. The driveline problem with the A8s is obviously a poor design issue. I've read enough about both to know they are not a user error issue. But instead of dealing with their issues, GM claims there isn't even a problem with the wheels and is only changing fluids in the driveline issue which any mechanically inclined individual knows is nothing more than a bandaid to push the issue past warranty coverage.

Secondly, I never said the guy should get an attorney right off the bat, in fact, I said he should let GM do their engine work through and only get a lawyer if GM refuses to fix it under warranty.
Not to mention, the A8 issue is not limited to just Corvettes by any means. Lots of issues across several different models
Old 05-30-2019, 11:45 PM
vette4lyn
Drifting

Received 664 Likes on 522 Posts

Default Resolution

Car went to the dealer for a tear down over 3 weeks ago.

The thread starter has not been on his thread for quiet awhile now.

So, was there a final resolution to this conundrum?!
The following 2 users liked this post by vette4lyn:
ANGST_VA (05-31-2019), MyC7BROKE (06-25-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 05:49 AM
Oldguychuck
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Would be nice to know the outcome..
Old 05-31-2019, 06:23 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,713 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
Well said, and insist on being present during the teardown. Take videos. Document everything and get copies of communication between the shop and GM. It ain't over til it's over and you are satisfied and compensated.
What shop is going to allow you to stand there in the service bay, watch a mechanic tear down a engine, & video the process? This is a ridiculous statement
bbrown450 (06-01-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 04:47 PM
vette4lyn
Drifting

Received 664 Likes on 522 Posts

Default Inquiring minds have to know

Originally Posted by Oldguychuck
Would be nice to know the outcome..
Tom:

Been following this thread for over 3 weeks now.

Can you please fill all of us in on any details of progress with your servicing dealer.

BTW, your video was very timely, and should help you expedite the claims process.

Thanks again,
Lyn
Old 05-31-2019, 04:55 PM
ALEXAMES
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 41 Posts

Any updates?

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 Corvette Grand Sport blown engine

Old 06-01-2019, 10:24 AM
VH Vette
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

Lawyer probably told him to stop talking.
VH
MyC7BROKE (06-25-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 06:22 PM
Tom Letkewicz
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Update:
June 3: Engine was torn down
4 damaged pistons, 4 damaged rods, 3 damaged valves
June 7: GM rep states there was no part failure, but excessive revs. GM will not cover under warranty.
June 10: Talked to dealership to get documents with the explanation of what they found. Dealership says GM told them nothing, just over revving.
June 10: Talked to GM customer service. They have escalated my claim and the senior advisor will contact me within 3 days with , hopefully, further details.
Cost to replace engine is $25,000.00 through dealership. I called other car repair companies and they stated the only one that can complete the work is a GM dealership due to availability of new engines and complexity of the engine itself.
Called around for attorney but I cannot find one that deals with warranty issues. I am still working on this one.
This is getting very frustrating, and I am not sure where to go next. I did not excessively rev this engine.
One thing to note, most all services places said I should have lied and not mentioned it occured at the track. That's a shame.
One attorney stated to contact the Consumer Protection Agency.
This has been a very slow process.
MyC7BROKE (06-25-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 06:44 PM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

Received 1,076 Likes on 694 Posts

That's Crazy !!! Wow. Now someone said he should not have told the dealer. Could they have known by plugging in to the car and getting the info from the computer, or is that what they did ??
Rich

Quick Reply: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport blown engine