Sponsored by:

Ceramic wax

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 01:09 PM
Taevon lee
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Ceramic wax

Has anybody used McGuiars Hybrid ceramic wax? If so what’s your opinions?
Old 05-28-2019, 01:22 PM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

At first, following the "First time user" instructions, (apply and wipe off NOT rinse off), but i tried to do the whole car at once and it dried. so i hated it. Called it bull semen for the way it stuck and dried to the panels. real waxon/waxoff rubbing needed to get it off. But the second coat 1 month later went on like they advertise. I sprayed it on the car with plenty of water mist bubbles on the car panels, then took a power setting on the faucet hose to rinse it off, then use a dry microfiber cloth to dry all surfaces. That was much better, no staining or finding missed-places-for-a-week after use like it did on the first try.

So exposed to pure salt air which turns to gummy/sticky paste at night it held up quite well for over a month. But compared to Meguiars Ultimate Fast Finish (UFF), there is no contest, UFF goes on faster, no leftover spots where you forgot to polish, and only a wipe, not a waxon/waxoff moment to be had in first or fiftieth application. Google it and one detailer youtube blog swears by for use AS AN INTERNAL DETAIL spray! His experience is ease of use, just swipe over dash etc, and the non-static formula of UFF does not attract dust nor allow dust particles to stick. And it leaves a natural finish, not a glossy one.

liked the $5 rebate hang tag on the ceramic wax, and Meguiars paid promptly..

Last edited by SilverGhost; 05-28-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:32 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,150 Likes on 2,249 Posts

I use Klasse High Gloss Sealant. It’s a highly concentrated acrylic formula glaze sealant that protects against ultraviolet rays, salt water, acid rain and industrial pollutants for up to 12 months. I apply it every six months.

https://www.autogeek.net/klashiggloss.html
The following users liked this post:
rmorin1249 (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 02:40 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

Hydrosilex. Takes a few minutes to do the whole car, glass and everything included. After the 1st coat it is amazing. After the 5th it's loaded and you are good to go. The stuff makes the whole car seem like it is RainXed.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:41 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Not on the corvette, but I am happy with how it is holding up on the Cayenne.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:44 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

My experience is similar Silver Ghost - its a sticky mess that leaves streaks. I've tried applying it two different ways but neither seems effective. Don't get it on glass as it leaves smudges like crazy. Thus I too prefer Ultimate Fast Finish, its super easy and gives great results. My normal routine is wash the vehicle then apply Turtle Wax: Wax & Dry as a drying aid that leaves a nice shine followed by a top coat of Fast Finish for some extra pop. Yet to find an easier to use, quicker over-the-counter solution then this combination of products.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:12 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverGhost

So exposed to pure salt air which turns to gummy/sticky paste at night it held up quite well for over a month. But compared to Meguiars Ultimate Fast Finish (UFF), there is no contest, UFF goes on faster, no leftover spots where you forgot to polish, and only a wipe, not a waxon/waxoff moment to be had in first or fiftieth application. Google it and one detailer youtube blog swears by for use AS AN INTERNAL DETAIL spray! His experience is ease of use, just swipe over dash etc, and the non-static formula of UFF does not attract dust nor allow dust particles to stick. And it leaves a natural finish, not a glossy one.
After reading so many bad reviews on a few message boards, I decided not to try out this product, as I too am super happy with the results I've gotten with UFF. When I combine UFF with Meguiar's UQD spray it gives a nice shiny finish that also does a great job of protection from the elements (bird droppings do not etch the paint at all) I also find that UFF acts very similar to a ceramic coating, in the way that it repels water and if you get caught in a quick rain storm the paint doesn't look that dirty afterwards.

But for me one big benefit of UFF over HCW is the fact that you don't need to wash the car to use it. So the entire process is much faster (15-20 minutes at the most) and I can apply it on the finish when my car's sitting in the garage (a perfect rainy day project, or even through the winter months)

I too find that UFF does a great job of repelling dust, whenever I do a fresh coat it takes a few days longer before the dust buildup causes me to break out the UQD detailing spray to clean it up.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:28 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,954 Likes on 941 Posts

I've used it several times.

THE GOOD:
It does work. It works very well. It claims to make a great shine, and to bead water. For sure it makes your paint really shine, and it really beads water well.

THE TRUTH:
The product is no better than a good carnauba waxing. With your standard wax, the water beads just as well, and lasts pretty much the same amount of time (maybe the Ceramic wax lasts a tad longer)
The following 2 users liked this post by Mayor111:
2vettefamily (05-28-2019), jimmie jam (05-29-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 05:15 PM
koranke
Racer

Received 204 Likes on 61 Posts

I used HCW for the first time yesterday on my wife's car. Had no trouble applying it. I think the key is to not let it dry. Don't spray the whole car and then wipe. Do one panel or smaller area and immediately wipe off to shine. Since it was my first application, can't comment on how well future spray-wash applications will work.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:30 PM
Taevon lee
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 47 Posts

I was wondering if it gave better protection from chips?
Old 05-28-2019, 05:31 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Taevon lee
Ceramics give no more protection from chips than does wax.

You want chip protection, XPel or 3M clear bras.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:25 PM
edzvet
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I like Maguire's HCW. After the first application you wash the car like you normally would, spray it on while the car is wet and then just hose it off. The product is re-applied. Nice gloss, good water beading, and a slippery feel.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:50 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,954 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by Taevon lee
For front end protection, spend $150 on a NoviStretch bra - best money I ever spent on my C5, C6 and my C7... Takes about 15 - 20 min to install then only 2 to 3 min to take in on or off... Its mesh, so it breathes well and if it gets wet, it will dry quickly.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:13 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Waste of money.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:15 PM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

I've been using Rejex for years, not the best shine but the best and longest lasting protection.

Get notified of new replies

To Ceramic wax

Quick Reply: Ceramic wax