Sponsored by:

Took my C7 to my local track-Watkins Glen

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 01:37 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

Default Took my C7 to my local track-Watkins Glen

Monday, I participated in a one day “Green” group at Watkins Glen. It was awesome. Very little classroom and I get 2 short sessions on the track. I think it was 4-5 laps each time and reached speeds of about 120. I had an instructor in the right seat but still, I was allowed to go as fast as I dared. He did a great job coaching me through every turn. It was so cool to drive the track that has so much racing history. Plus, I passed other cars like they were standing still.
I was well prepared for this outing as I attended Spring Mountain last December. There, we had extensive classroom and skills training that prepared me very well for a big time track. My instructor was impressed and I don’t believe I scared him. He wasn’t familiar with Corvette and he commented that it was a really nice car. I think it would dominate his Cayman.
My car is a 2017 Stingray Z51 MN7. It drove and handled exactly the same as the car I used at Spring Mountain. Not that this was a surprise but it gives me confirmation that this car is track ready off the showroom floor.
Anyways, I recommend owners to visit Spring Mountain and/or your local track. I’m heading back to the Glen a couple more times this year. Loads of fun!

Last edited by Jeffthunbird; 05-29-2019 at 01:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
KC - Grand Sport (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 01:43 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Must have been fun. I also did the SM last March and concluded the same. These cars are very track cabable out of the box. Just change to higher temp brake fluid and you're ready to go. By the way what did you do for track prep?
Old 05-29-2019, 01:43 PM
1BadRS
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

I was curious if you changed brake pads, brake fluid, oil, or anything else like that or just hit it up stock. I've got the same car as you and I'm so impressed how good it handles on the street, I can't wait to get out on a track. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:15 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

I didn’t do anything for track prep. I wasn’t sure what to expect and didn’t think the instructor would let me unleash. Still, everything was good. Next event, I will do some more prep.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:44 PM
JDMvette7
Burning Brakes

Received 553 Likes on 204 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Do you know when the next events are? I'd like to make it to the Glen once this year.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:05 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

I run a Z51 on track and do some part time instructing - the brake fluid change is a must. The factory fluid will over heat causing it to boil. When that happens bubbles form in your brakes leading to a soft pedal (because air is compressible). Soft pedal means you can't apply enough braking pressure and... well you can imagine the problems that causes. Changing to heavier weight oil (if not running the 0W-40 already) is a good call to protect the engine. Dedicated track brake pads would be next on my list, but for your first few events the stock ones are OK. Also I am not a fan of the stock tires on track, they get greasy (slippery) really fast but I ran RE-71s on my last car which spoiled me.
Jeffthunbird (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 04:29 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMvette7
Do you know when the next events are? I'd like to make it to the Glen once this year.
Go to motorsportreg.com and enter in your zip code and a mileage radius around it and then select driver's schools on the list of events. Then hit search. That will provide the organizations that have schools scheduled in your area at all tracks in your from now until whenever. You can also enter Watkins Glen at the top to get a list of organizations doing events at the Glen. The Glen doesn't provide any schools, they rent the track to various groups.

I will be instructing there the weekend or June 7,8,9 with the GVC Chapter of the BMW Club and June 10, 11 with Phoenix CMR both are organizations out of the Rochester, NY area. There are a lot of organizations that do schools at the Glen so you should be able to find one to sign with. Cost will not be cheap as Glen rental rates are pretty high.

You have until June 1st to register for the 6/10,11 event. The cost is $709 for the two days. They also have a trial program but that may be fully subscribed. https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...nix-cmr-837083

https://www.phoenixcmr.com/index.php/driving-events

Bill
Old 05-29-2019, 07:51 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Go out to YouTube and preview any track you plan to run on. Get yourself acclimated to the track.

Personally I avoid tracks with guardrails up close. That’s found on lot of older tracks and appreciated by professional drivers who have other cars but not my preference.

Look up Jeff Gordon’s wreck at the glen a few years back, that was brutal.

Lot of tracks with run off areas and limited guardrails.

100% concentration, no distractions is important.

Also any wet weather will make the track a handful for most drivers.

Its a blast but make no bones about it, it is dangerous.

Have fun but be cautious.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:26 PM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Received 475 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I will be instructing there the weekend or June 7,8,9 with the GVC Chapter of the BMW Club and June 10, 11 with Phoenix CMR both are organizations out of the Rochester, NY area. There are a lot of organizations that do schools at the Glen so you should be able to find one to sign with. Cost will not be cheap as Glen rental rates are pretty high.
Bill
Bill, I will be at the Glen with Phoenix CMR.

Looking forward to saying "Hello"

Paul
Old 05-29-2019, 09:31 PM
franknbeans
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

I've been tracking cars for a long while now. I have a prepped 350z for my track car at the moment.

I decided to take my GS to the track on the June 6th. I can't wait to see how it handles.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:52 PM
Skippydoo
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

I don’t live far from there. Need more info on the Green Day ?.. I’d love to take some laps.

Get notified of new replies

To Took my C7 to my local track-Watkins Glen

Quick Reply: Took my C7 to my local track-Watkins Glen