Sponsored by:

To buy or not to buy YET?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 04:43 PM
chickenugget
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To buy or not to buy YET?

I've been lurking around here for a couple of months, and today I decided to join and be a part of this community whether if I get a corvette now or in the future. Anyway, I was hoping that you guys can help me decide to buy one now or wait.

Just to give you guys some background about me.

I've been a car guy since I was born. I like working on cars and motorcycle and enjoy going for a random ride or drive in the middle of night anywhere. I'm 27 years old, single, no kids, and currently, work as a contractor here in DC/MD/VA. I enjoy what I do, and loves the money that comes with it. I can be workaholic sometimes, but I also like to relax and enjoy the good things in life. I do have a bit of a commute every day, and I would like to have a car that is really fun to drive and can also be fuel efficient for long driving. Fortunately, the C7 seems to fit both of my needs.

I don't mind paying for the costs of a Corvette, but I do believe in the saying that "you get what you pay for." However, I do believe that Corvette is the best bang for the buck when it comes to the looks and performance, which is why I'm considering to get this as my first muscle car.

I'm planning on getting the following:

- 2017+
- Coupe
- Stingray with Z51 package OR Grand Sport Coupe (provided if any good deal came around)
- 2LT package (for the heads up display and heated/ventilated seats)
- A8 (for daily driving)
- Red or White

Now to some of my questions:

1. Is reliability an issue here or is it user error? Based on most of the Youtube videos I've watched, and some of the posts here, the car seems to be in the shop more than on the road. I know there's an overheating issue with the Z06 and there also a known issue with the A8. Just wanted to know if I should be really concern before buying? I just don't want to be stuck on the road.

2. How many of you daily drive yours and how many mileage do you have? I plan to daily mine and enjoy every minute of it driving, but it doesn't mean that I'm going to be abusing the car by doing dumb things. It's just that I haven't seen any posts or video from someone who drives a C7 that has plenty of miles and only been in the dealer for routine maintenance and whatnot.

3. Prices seem inaccurate when it comes to used and new Corvette? With C8 on the horizon, and there's plenty of the Corvette sitting on the lot, I'm sure that there several incentives and discounts being offered, but the prices around here in my area is a bit odd. For example, a used 2017 GS with 7k miles is listed for $57k eprice, while a new 2019 GS with 2 miles is listed for $63k eprice. Of course, the prices fluctuate with the additional package on the car but I think this is a good comparison since both cars are GS. Now if I look up the value of the used GS in KBB, this is just for ballpark prices, the value is estimated to be around $47-51k

USED: https://www.criswellcorvette.com/Veh...-MD/3411761843

NEW: https://www.criswellcorvette.com/Veh...-MD/3281255583

4. Buy slightly used with an extended warranty (if available) or get new with an extended warranty? Base on question #3, I think for the difference in price, it's a no brainer to get the new 2019 GS provided that money is not an issue, but I was expecting a bit of some difference when it comes to pricing for the new and used. The only good thing that I can think of getting a used one is that the other guy took the hit for depreciation and I can use the extra money for mods (wheels, tires, etc). Although, the downside is if anything goes wrong with the car, can GM replace everything on the warranty? The good on buying new is that I get to be the first owner for the car, and if there's anything wrong with it down the road, the dealer can take care of it, but the downside is, I might be paying more and lose that money on depreciation.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:00 PM
dave_2012_tt
Burning Brakes

Received 344 Likes on 207 Posts

I just purchased a used one and this is my thinking...

NO GS for me...did not want the extra expense of tires, purchase or the increase risk of cracked rims and the expense and time that would involve.
For me a CPO car was important because to be a CPO the car has to be in like new condition. Clean when you pick it up inside and out
You get a buyback period of a week I believe
You get an extra 12 month of warranty and 2 oil changes
You have to get 2 keys and manuals
On star for 3 months.

I say you have to get a z51, MRC, and at least a 2lt for heads up. I also suggest getting Nav and PDR. I also drove the auto and manual and despite what everyone says the auto is very slow at shifting when using the paddles. My previous car had a dual clutch and was way faster...so I went the manual. That with the rev matching is fun fun and fun.

Well, above was my thoughts when buying...some will agree some will not but I am very pleased so far.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:38 PM
chickenugget
4th Gear

^^^^ Thank you for the input! i really appreciate it. I think i might also go with the z51 package instead of the GS. do they offer additional warranty for any CPO? i haven’t test drive a corvette yet, and between manual or auto, i’ll decide from there.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 06-01-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:02 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,219 Likes on 3,460 Posts

Buy new, buy now while there's still some selection to choose among. Problems are always amplified at forums... for everything, vehicles and otherwise. Just imagine how many do NOT have issue X, Y, or Z or every one reported here. And, most importantly... drive it and ENJOY !!!
The following users liked this post:
f5joe (06-01-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 05:18 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

Since you are already looking at criswell, and close by - call Mike, ask some questions, then schedule an appointment to go look and test drive a couple. Buy what one feels right to you.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:23 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,724 Likes on 5,600 Posts

^ I agree, problems are greatly amplified on forums. The vast majority of C7s don't have A8 trans issues and/or bent/cracked wheels even though reading here tends to make you believe they all do.
Decide what you want (not what everyone else wants) search the forum sponsor mega dealers for best price on that C7 and pull the trigger while there's still a good selection. Good luck
Old 06-01-2019, 05:45 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by chickenugget
I've been lurking around here for a couple of months, and today I decided to join and be a part of this community whether if I get a corvette now or in the future. Anyway, I was hoping that you guys can help me decide to buy one now or wait.

Just to give you guys some background about me.

I've been a car guy since I was born. I like working on cars and motorcycle and enjoy going for a random ride or drive in the middle of night anywhere. I'm 27 years old, single, no kids, and currently, work as a contractor here in DC/MD/VA. I enjoy what I do, and loves the money that comes with it. I can be workaholic sometimes, but I also like to relax and enjoy the good things in life. I do have a bit of a commute every day, and I would like to have a car that is really fun to drive and can also be fuel efficient for long driving. Fortunately, the C7 seems to fit both of my needs.

I don't mind paying for the costs of a Corvette, but I do believe in the saying that "you get what you pay for." However, I do believe that Corvette is the best bang for the buck when it comes to the looks and performance, which is why I'm considering to get this as my first muscle car.

- 2017+
- Coupe
- Stingray with Z51 package OR Grand Sport Coupe (provided if any good deal came around)
- A8 (for daily driving)
- Red or White

Now to some of my questions:

1. Is reliability an issue here or is it user error? Based on most of the Youtube videos I've watched, and some of the posts here, the car seems to be in the shop more than on the road. I know there's an overheating issue with the Z06 and there also a known issue with the A8. Just wanted to know if I should be really concern before buying? I just don't want to be stuck on the road.

Reliability falls into line with all the other cars on the market. One to two failures per year after 3 years. The best have 1 failure per year while the worst have 3 or 4 failures per year. GM falls into the 2 per year range.

2. How many of you daily drive yours and how many mileage do you have? I plan to daily mine and enjoy every minute of it driving, but it doesn't mean that I'm going to be abusing the car by doing dumb things. It's just that I haven't seen any posts or video from someone who drives a C7 that has plenty of miles and only been in the dealer for routine maintenance and whatnot.

I haven't daily driven a Corvette since I daily drove my 71 back in 1979. I wouldn't be afraid to daily drive my Z06 if I had to. They do make a great ride with everybody around you jealous.

3. Prices seem inaccurate when it comes to used and new Corvette? With C8 on the horizon, and there's plenty of the Corvette sitting on the lot, I'm sure that there several incentives and discounts being offered, but the prices around here in my area is a bit odd. For example, a used 2017 GS with 7k miles is listed for $57k eprice, while a new 2019 GS with 2 miles is listed for $63k eprice. Of course, the prices fluctuate with the additional package on the car but I think this is a good comparison since both cars are GS. Now if I look up the value of the used GS in KBB, this is just for ballpark prices, the value is estimated to be around $47-51k

USED: https://www.criswellcorvette.com/Veh...-MD/3411761843

NEW: https://www.criswellcorvette.com/Veh...-MD/3281255583

4. Buy slightly used with an extended warranty (if available) or get new with an extended warranty? Base on question #3, I think for the difference in price, it's a no brainer to get the new 2019 GS provided that money is not an issue, but I was expecting a bit of some difference when it comes to pricing for the new and used. The only good thing that I can think of getting a used one is that the other guy took the hit for depreciation and I can use the extra money for mods (wheels, tires, etc). Although, the downside is if anything goes wrong with the car, can GM replace everything on the warranty? The good on buying new is that I get to be the first owner for the car, and if there's anything wrong with it down the road, the dealer can take care of it, but the downside is, I might be paying more and lose that money on depreciation.

Buying used with an extended warranty is better than buying new with an extended warranty but it depends on how old the car is and how many miles it has on it. You get your best extended warranty coverage when you purchase shortly before the new car 36/36 warranty expires. That way you aren't paying for double coverage through the new car warranty period. If the new car warranty hasn't expired yet and the car has less than 24K miles on it you can purchase a plan that will give you 7 years coverage and as little as 56K miles added to then current mileage.
Bill
Old 06-01-2019, 06:35 PM
blb078
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 102 Posts

On point 3. I don't know that you will get any big incentives from Chevy even though there are a lot of new C7s out there. Dealers are purposely ordering more than normal to try to get more C8 allocations so I don't think Chevy is going to offer anything more than what they normally would. It will be up to the dealer to take a hit on the car if they have too many and want to move them. That could change though but it' not like a year and a half ago where Chevy was offering big incentives/discounts because the normal production quantities weren't selling very well. I think if you wait until the C8 is released next month and if it looks like it will be a hit then you may see dealers try to dump C7s a little faster, although the release date could play a role in that too.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:45 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

If you don't mind an automatic transmission, wait and buy a new 2020 C8. 👍 If you want a stick shift, you're going to have to go C7.

If you've never owned a new Corvette before, and you want one, there's nothing like ordering or buying a new one. Money doesn't seem to be an issue to your pocketbook, so go new - if that's you. I've only bought new Corvettes, so,, that's my perspective. ..
Old 06-01-2019, 06:57 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 747 Likes on 561 Posts

I'd buy new and now why wait. Used, I always wonder what the previous owner done to the car or if there where ever any problems or mods done then changed back to stock. If it has a substantial warranty left maybe used that's just my 2 cents
Old 06-01-2019, 07:18 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Your post was too long. Buy new, buy now.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:35 PM
chickenugget
4th Gear

you guys are too kind! thank you all for your input. This will be my FIRST corvette and FIRST muscle car. As far as manual or auto, I don't really mind either one. I'll have to test drive both and see where the wind takes me.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:48 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

you guys are too kind! thank you all for your input. This will be my FIRST corvette and FIRST muscle car. As far as manual or auto, I don't really mind either one. I'll have to test drive both and see where the wind takes me.
This is a very helpful place!
Keep in mind that manuals are limited so if going that route you may have take what you can get as far as other options you may want. Also, Corvettes are sportscars, not muscle cars. Camaro, Mustang etc are muscle cars.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:51 PM
chickenugget
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
This is a very helpful place!
Keep in mind that manuals are limited so if going that route you may have take what you can get as far as other options you may want. Also, Corvettes are sportscars, not muscle cars. Camaro, Mustang etc are muscle cars.
what do you mean that manuals are limited? Thanks for the correction! This will be my FIRST sportscar!! and I'm so excited!
Old 06-01-2019, 08:50 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

what do you mean that manuals are limited? Thanks for the correction! This will be my FIRST sportscar!! and I'm so excited!
Only about 22% of C7s produced in a model year have manual transmissions, so if you want a manual C7 in the color-combo and equipped the way you want you typically have to factory order it as opposed to purchasing off dealer lot.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:43 AM
Wanderlust
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I looked at used as well and came to the conclusion that the price is too close to the current offers from the top dealers. New vs used was an easy decision, buy new.

Buy now or wait? Well, the C8 forced me into buy now mode. I would have preferred to wait a little longer, but now my bathroom renovation will be delayed. I want exactly what I want on my car, which was likely not going to be easy to find, so I custom ordered last week. I don't like what I'm seeing in the C8, and only really considered a C2 or C1, before the C7.

Z51 or GS? For me, I love the Z51 in Blade Silver only. I like the GS in blue or orange. I decided on the GS in ELB. This is purely personal and only you can know what you like.

M7 vs A8. Accepting the presumption that this is the end of the manual and I know how to drive one, the M7 was an easy choice. Added bonus, my gf does not know how to drive a manual.

I kind of have a regret for upgrading my wheels from GM, after reading the cracked rim threads (after I placed the order) on the GS and Z06, I would have preferred putting that $495 towards a set a forged wheels. I'm hoping that the amplification of the issue is less significant. 400 plus comments on one of the threads but probably less than 25% are people saying they have cracks. Take that number and compare to total number of GS and Z06s sold in the C7 era.

Time appears to be ticking for ordering though.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:12 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

Grandpa story here, yawn and move on. In 1989 i was ready to trade my 1981 tr8 for a new vette vert. I was 32 years old, single, with a silverado, paid for, a tr8 paid for, but living in an apartment in Arlandria. The vette vert was $33k if i remember correctly, but i thought that quite a bit of cash to leave out at night on the street, in Arlandria (pre-gentrification).

So i got into one of those damn NOVA bidding wars and bought the (still) cheapest single family detached house in Fairfax County er, Fairfax City.

And that has made all the difference in the world.

The sportscars WILL come; the time value of money compounding through real estate appreciation, and rental properties is NOW. let your tenants pay for your vettes.

Last edited by SilverGhost; 06-02-2019 at 03:14 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To To buy or not to buy YET?

Old 06-02-2019, 06:30 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

We have a 2017 Z51 A8. Daily driver, road tripper, autocrosser. 28k miles in 2 yrs.
I skipped the GS because the cost/benefit ratio is out of wack unless you’re a track rat or just like the looks. Two GS owners in our club have said they wish they’d bought a Z51 instead, Z51 owners are happy or only wish for a Z06.

The A8 shifts slow and easy under light throttle around town but snaps the shifts and pops the exhaust under full throttle. I love it.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:50 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

- 2017+
- Coupe
- A8 (for daily driving)
- Red or White
As far as deciding as to go with the Z51 or Grandsport the below may help. If HUD is important to you and worth $4500 then by all means go with the 2LT, however I wouldn't put too much weight on the heated/ventilated seats as most who have state neither work very well.

Both Stingray and Grandsport are Great sportscars, Choice as to which to purchase depends how much you like the wide-body look and how much you value the performance/handling/breaking aspects. Z51 addresses the performance factor to an extent if you don't care for wide-body.

There's basically (3) reasons the Grand Sport is appealing to so many:

The beautiful and exotic wide-body look is VERY POPULAR.

The exceptional marrying of power-handling-braking makes the over-all Grand Sport driving experience among that of the very finest sportscars in the world.

The GS package offers the most bang for the buck of any C7 package.

Z16 GS Performance Package features ($10,000): Specific front fender inserts; Z06 style grill; wider rear fenders; front splitter; rocker skirts, additional brake cooling vents and wickerbill rear spoiler; GS CUP-style wheels; Michelin super-sport summer only tires (P285/30ZR19” front, P33525ZR20” rear); 6-piston front and 4-pison front Bremo brakes; Slotted brake rotors; Magnetic Ride Control and Electronic Limited-slip differential; NPP exhaust, Dry-sump oil system; Rear differential cooler; transmission cooler.

Z51 Performance Package features ($5,000): Performance brakes; Black painted calibers; Slotted brake rotors; Dry sump oil system; Z51 performance package, specific shocks, springs and stabilizer bars; NPP exhaust; performance gear ratios, Electronic Limited-slip differential; Rear differential cooler; transmission cooler and Areo package. Note: Magnetic Ride Control adds $1800 to $5000 Z51 cost.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:48 AM
TwoVettes6916
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default To buy or not to buy

I don't think that there are many (any?) incentives for remaining C7's; but if you can find a dealer who has a car set up like you want, he might be willing to negotiate some substantial discount to entice you to take it home with you.

As far as reliability of the C7, I have had my 2016 Stingray for about two years now, and have had no problems with any part, system, etc. on it. I think most of the problems identified with the early years of this generation have been taken care of.

I am not a great fan of the C8. One aspect that would be missing would be the view out of the windshield - I really like seeing the hood and the contours of the fender above the wheels. I don't think you would get that with a C8, from the pics I have seen so far.

But to each his own, and I know a lot of folks - Vette owners and non-owners - who really like various aspects of the C8.

Good luck with your final choice.

Quick Reply: To buy or not to buy YET?