Navigation update problem...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 08:28 PM
MickP
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Navigation update problem...

I purchased the Nav update and attempted to install it today. The update started and showed the progress bar. I did not disconnect my phone (the instructions said the only thing you couldn't do during the update was navigation and weather) and got an incoming call. I did not answer the phone and when the call terminated the screen went back for a moment and the returned to the home screen. I didn't know what to do so I continued to drive around for over an hour and nothing happened. I finally drove home and stopped the car, removed the thumb drive, restarted the car, reinserted the thumb drive and NOTHING. I called GM and they said contact them through ONSTAR I did and they said I just recommended I go to my dealer.

Before I contact the dealer tomorrow I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so what was the remedy?

-Mickey
Old 06-03-2019, 08:48 PM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

I had the same issue, which apparently is uncommon. No progress in the progress bar once it got stuck at some random %, like 35%... maybe higher once or twice. There really isn't anything to the procedure, and no way to do a factory reset as an end user like you would for a typical firmware fail. I tried over and over and finally took it to the dealer. I was also getting the paid Android Auto and MSRC updates at the same time so they did this for me no charge.

Originally Posted by MickP
I purchased the Nav update and attempted to install it today. The update started and showed the progress bar. I did not disconnect my phone (the instructions said the only thing you couldn't do during the update was navigation and weather) and got an incoming call. I did not answer the phone and when the call terminated the screen went back for a moment and the returned to the home screen. I didn't know what to do so I continued to drive around for over an hour and nothing happened. I finally drove home and stopped the car, removed the thumb drive, restarted the car, reinserted the thumb drive and NOTHING. I called GM and they said contact them through ONSTAR I did and they said I just recommended I go to my dealer.

Before I contact the dealer tomorrow I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so what was the remedy?

-Mickey

Last edited by raylo; 06-03-2019 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:51 PM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,125 Likes on 562 Posts

This update procedure, which is the same on my 2018 Genesis G90, is PATHETIC in this day and age. What are they using as a processor, a 8088 chip?
Old 06-03-2019, 08:52 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by CP
This update procedure, which is the same on my 2018 Genesis G90, is PATHETIC in this day and age. What are they using as a processor, a 8088 chip?
Nah, they're modern. They use a 6502
Old 06-03-2019, 10:24 PM
MickP
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Here's an update. Just to test I did the "confirmation" procedure...

...and the first Shake Shack listed was indeed at 660 Woodward Ave, Detroit, Michigan. So I guess the update was successful. Hmmmmm.

If anyone who hasn't done the update cares to do this procedure and see what they get, I'd appreciate it.

-Mickey
Old 06-03-2019, 11:51 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

One wonders what that procedure yielded before the update.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:05 AM
MickP
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by defaria
One wonders what that procedure yielded before the update.
I'm hoping the Shake Shack is a new POI that's been added to the update and therefor would be a good test to see if the update was indeed successful.

Update:A friend in Detroit told me the Shake Shack in downtown opened in February of 2017 so I'm assuming that POI wouldn't have been in my pre-updated navigation.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by MickP; 06-04-2019 at 03:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Navigation update problem...

Quick Reply: Navigation update problem...