Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just went through nightmare header install

Old 06-20-2019, 10:15 PM
CRNA15
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just went through nightmare header install

Bought the budget headers and x-pipe a few weeks ago, go to install them and of course the manifold holes are way off. Nicely welded though. Had the car on jackstands for a week while I waited for my TSP kit. The TSP headers fit perfectly, but got damn the route down the tunnel was a pain in the *** and it still doesn't fit. I definetly have a or some leaks somewhere and rubbing somewhere. It was insanely close to the sides of the tunnel and tunnel plate, probably hitting at this point. Really close to the drivers side of the transmission. I also had the battery unhooked for a week and now my A/C fan doesn't work. Oh and I assume it is now in limp mode because it sounds like ****, either that or I have a plug wire loose, but I made sure to double check everyone. Time for a tune. If anyone is thinking about doing this on jackstands in their garage, have fun.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:33 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Originally Posted by CRNA15
Bought the budget headers and x-pipe a few weeks ago, go to install them and of course the manifold holes are way off. Nicely welded though. Had the car on jackstands for a week while I waited for my TSP kit. The TSP headers fit perfectly, but got damn the route down the tunnel was a pain in the *** and it still doesn't fit. I definetly have a or some leaks somewhere and rubbing somewhere. It was insanely close to the sides of the tunnel and tunnel plate, probably hitting at this point. Really close to the drivers side of the transmission. I also had the battery unhooked for a week and now my A/C fan doesn't work. Oh and I assume it is now in limp mode because it sounds like ****, either that or I have a plug wire loose, but I made sure to double check everyone. Time for a tune. If anyone is thinking about doing this on jackstands in their garage, have fun.
Need to be young and not a fat person for sure on jack stands. Those headers I have heard from post in here is a piece of crap on the header bolts not going on & having to drill the holes bigger then also down at the tunnel not fitting & hitting also... Good luck on getting every thing worked out.. Robert
Old 06-21-2019, 09:57 AM
CRNA15
Advanced

The TSP headers bolted right up no issues. However the driver side header is so low it even hits the new tunnel plate they provide. Really not sure how you could even remedy that issue because the header is locked down. Currently at an exhaust shop where we are sorting out the rest of the issues.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:02 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,186 Likes on 13,910 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good luck - hope you get it all sorted out. I hate it when you go to install a mod and it turns into somewhat of a nightmare.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:27 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,282 Likes on 843 Posts

You have to use washers on the tunnel plate bolts to space the plate down for the TSP headers....even with their plate. Anyone reading this and considering headers, spend the extra money and get ARH headers. They fit great and the ball style flanges make everything a lot easier when fitting up the x pipe.
The following 2 users liked this post by Internets_Ninja:
Casey Clark (06-21-2019), JerryU (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 10:55 AM
NinjaBum
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 103 Posts

Hell, even taking it to a shop doesn't guarantee no heartaches. I remember taking my C6 to the shop in town to get LGs installed and these retards installed them improperly so one of the sides would touch a channel wall somewhere when you would be on the throttle in a corner. Made a horrible vibration noise. As you probably know with slip fits if you don't align them right, once you heat cycle them a few times they are basically stuck that way.

They tried to blame LG and I remember LG saying "we can send you another set for free but you have to tell them they need to actually read the instructions and do it properly." Meanwhile they were going to charge me for the header install all over again to put a replacement set in. It was a nightmare. Luckily that shithole went out of business recently.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:01 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Default ttt

Originally Posted by NinjaBum
Hell, even taking it to a shop doesn't guarantee no heartaches. I remember taking my C6 to the shop in town to get LGs installed and these retards installed them improperly so one of the sides would touch a channel wall somewhere when you would be on the throttle in a corner. Made a horrible vibration noise. As you probably know with slip fits if you don't align them right, once you heat cycle them a few times they are basically stuck that way.

They tried to blame LG and I remember LG saying "we can send you another set for free but you have to tell them they need to actually read the instructions and do it properly." Meanwhile they were going to charge me for the header install all over again to put a replacement set in. It was a nightmare. Luckily that shithole went out of business recently.
Yes LG shop is great and will do anything to make you happy & to do what is right to get you 100% Robert
Old 06-21-2019, 11:32 AM
NinjaBum
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 103 Posts

It's a shame I don't live in Dallas XD.

Here in the middle of nowhere we have little crap shops that open for a year or two and go out of business.

People near LG or Vengeance or similar shops don't know how good they have it.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:56 PM
Dundon929
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Quick question...Does installation of headers and x pipe void any of the warranty?
Old 06-21-2019, 04:18 PM
furious427
Drifting

Received 432 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Dundon929
Quick question...Does installation of headers and x pipe void any of the warranty?
It sure does.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:22 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Dundon929

Only if you have to do a tune to get all the power available or stop a code from popping up due to MAF readings. Once you do a tune, your warranty is gone on the drivetrain. X pipe won't require any tune and it will remove the secondary CATs.

Elmer
The following users liked this post:
Dundon929 (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 05:47 PM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 631 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
Yes LG shop is great and will do anything to make you happy & to do what is right to get you 100% Robert
Originally Posted by NinjaBum
It's a shame I don't live in Dallas XD.

Here in the middle of nowhere we have little crap shops that open for a year or two and go out of business.

People near LG or Vengeance or similar shops don't know how good they have it.
Appreciate the kind words guys!
Old 06-21-2019, 06:05 PM
CRNA15
Advanced

Originally Posted by Internets_Ninja
You have to use washers on the tunnel plate bolts to space the plate down for the TSP headers....even with their plate. Anyone reading this and considering headers, spend the extra money and get ARH headers. They fit great and the ball style flanges make everything a lot easier when fitting up the x pipe.
Yep, ended up take it to a shop, $70 for them to put it up on a lift. Trim the clamps, move the rear pipe off the transmission and put some washers under the plate. Totally worth it, was tired of dicking with it under jack stands.

However, why the hell is TSP still sending out plates that need modifying. It's beyond me. It would literally take very little change in the design of their new plate to ensure that this doesn't happen.

I also still have a leak somewhere that we could not clamp down. Anyone have recommendations? The tst, tst, tst is driving me crazy.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:39 PM
Prowler58
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Only if you have to do a tune to get all the power available or stop a code from popping up due to MAF readings. Once you do a tune, your warranty is gone on the drivetrain. X pipe won't require any tune and it will remove the secondary CATs.

Elmer
What kind of gains can you get with only the x-pipes ??
Old 06-21-2019, 07:00 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Originally Posted by Prowler58
What kind of gains can you get with only the x-pipes ??
Little bit of sound gain, not much else.

Elmer
Old 06-21-2019, 10:45 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Default Ttt

Originally Posted by Dane@LGmotorsports
Appreciate the kind words guys!
Dane just the truth here man you know I have bought a ton of aftermarket parts from you guys. I have had to ship parts back due to being damaged & that you guys shipped me a new part before you even got the old one back & this was not a cheap part at all. Plus told me didnt want me down time no more than I had to be... Great vendor here..

Plus called you guys on the a6 oil pan I didnt see how that that was going in without doing a lowing of the cradle at all. You guy just walked me right thur it plus being super nice on it.. Plus I cant wait to get that C.F. hood on the car will take some pic's and post in on here & show the looks. Robert

Last edited by robert miller; 06-21-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:59 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,282 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by CRNA15
Yep, ended up take it to a shop, $70 for them to put it up on a lift. Trim the clamps, move the rear pipe off the transmission and put some washers under the plate. Totally worth it, was tired of dicking with it under jack stands.

However, why the hell is TSP still sending out plates that need modifying. It's beyond me. It would literally take very little change in the design of their new plate to ensure that this doesn't happen.

I also still have a leak somewhere that we could not clamp down. Anyone have recommendations? The tst, tst, tst is driving me crazy.

Tell me you bought brand new OEM exhaust flange gaskets and used them when you installed the headers rather than whatever TSP sent. Additionally that you torqued the bolts down properly. And hopefully you got ARP bolts and used anti-seize of them(not a requirement but is insurance against bolts backing out). If you didn't use OEM exhaust port gaskets, then that is likely where the exhaust leak is. These three things will ensure the headers fit well, you don't have any leaks, and you won't have to check and re-tighten any exhaust flange bolts down the road.

Let those who are reading this thread and researching headers for themselves take this advice. Do not buy cheap headers. Do buy a new set of OEM exhaust gaskets and do NOT use whatever gaskets ANY header manufacturer sends with their kit. And it is highly recommended to buy ARP stainless steel (12 point heads is preferred) bolts and to use anti-seize when installing them as mixing stainless steel bolts into aluminum threads can cause seizure due to the differing metals.

Last edited by Internets_Ninja; 06-22-2019 at 01:06 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Just went through nightmare header install

Old 06-22-2019, 01:05 PM
CRNA15
Advanced

Originally Posted by Internets_Ninja
Tell me you bought brand new OEM exhaust flange gaskets and used them when you installed the headers rather than whatever TSP sent. Additionally that you torqued the bolts down properly. And hopefully you got ARP bolts and used anti-seize of them(not a requirement but is insurance against bolts backing out). If you didn't use OEM exhaust port gaskets, then that is likely where the exhaust leak is.
Yep acdelco gaskets, ARP bolts with blue thread lock. 18ft/lb. the leak is in the back near the x-pipe. Although I think it may have resolved itself already.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:48 PM
furious427
Drifting

Received 432 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl

Elmer
Really? the shop tech at my local dealership told me headers will 100% void my warranty, due to the car running leaner.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:04 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by furious465
Really? the shop tech at my local dealership told me headers will 100% void my warranty, due to the car running leaner.

...and you get a tune to stop the leaner running MAF and your warranty is....

So, really.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just went through nightmare header install