Michelin

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 11:03 AM
StingrayJL
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Michelin

Good Morning folks,

I just ordered wheels and tires for my C7. I got Michelin 305/25/ZR20 (97Y) and I just learned that they're not runflats. How safe is this where I have my stock runflats since I bought the car. I was told non-runflats have better traction and is quieter but now the issue is when you get a screw is flat!!! Meaning you're screwed because you have no spare and need to get a tow truck correct me if I'm wrong? I'm disappointed where I wanted the runflat and stick with that rule.

greatly appreciated for any feedback.
Thanks,
Juan
Old 06-30-2019, 11:30 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Why didn't you get the runflats then? There are two versions, a run flat version and a non run flat.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:40 AM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by StingrayJL
Good Morning folks,

I just ordered wheels and tires for my C7. I got Michelin 305/25/ZR20 (97Y) and I just learned that they're not runflats. How safe is this where I have my stock runflats since I bought the car. I was told non-runflats have better traction and is quieter but now the issue is when you get a screw is flat!!! Meaning you're screwed because you have no spare and need to get a tow truck correct me if I'm wrong? I'm disappointed where I wanted the runflat and stick with that rule.

Thanks,
Juan
Yes...Non runflats mean you get a flat and you need a tow. Unless you carry a plug kit and portable compressor that might be enough to get you to a shop.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:52 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,621 Likes on 6,626 Posts

Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE
Yes...Non runflats mean you get a flat and you need a tow. Unless you carry a plug kit and portable compressor that might be enough to get you to a shop.
Might be, "is no fun," depending where you are stuck! Plug and pump, "may work" for some things like a nail, but useless for a large hole where the stiff runflat sidewalls will get you ~50 miles under 50 mph to a safe location to get a new tire or park the car.

Vettes need to be towed on a flatbed NOT with a tow hook!

The OP's comment about non runflats being quiter, yep- BUT forget the "better traction!" Michelin and GM spent millions developing those tires, hard pressed to find better traction except with drag slicks!

Living in San Diego where he won't be driving often when below ~40F I'd buy nothing but the OEM runflats. And I have driven when 28/30F with no issue (just have to be more careful.)

Last edited by JerryU; 06-30-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:58 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Good Morning folks,

Thanks,
Juan
Not quieter and not more traction. I have tested the non runflats and can't tell any discernible between either. Maybe I could if I was a professional race car driver. But I drive real frisky and I can't hear any more noise or detect less traction with the run flats.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:00 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Might be, "is no fun," depending where you are stuck! Plug and pump, "may work" for some things like a nail, but useless for a large hole where the stiff runflat sidewalls will get you ~50 miles under 50 mph to a safe location to get a new tire or park the car.

Vettes need to ne towed on a flatbed NOT with a toe hook!

The OP's comment about non runflats being quitter, yep- BUT forget the "better traction!" Michelin and GM spent millions developing those tires, hard pressed to find better traction except with drag slicks!

Living in San Diego where he won't be driving often when below ~40F I'd buy nothing but the OEM runflats. And I have drive when 28/30F with no issue (just have to be more careful.)
I agree. I like to travel and I will always use run flats.
The following 2 users liked this post by TNSQUIRE:
Bavaria (07-08-2019), JerryU (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 07:23 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,213 Likes on 3,457 Posts

I've had non run-flats on my C5 for nearly 18 years without incident (still have it). I always carry a 12-volt compressor in it. If the new Michelin RFs were anywhere near as bad as the ol' Goodyears I'd have done the same with the C7. All the best.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:35 PM
Jims427400
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Which style Michelins are you referring to?
Old 06-30-2019, 09:47 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I ran non-runflats on my C5 for many, many years and never had a problem with a flat. Perhaps I was just very lucky. I always carried a plug kit and an air compressor in the car, and had emergency road service on my car insurance.

If you are really worried about not driving on runflats, then your option is to get runflats. Have you already had the tires mounted on the wheels yet? If not, perhaps the vendor will take them back and get you a set of runflats.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:05 PM
StingrayJL
Advanced

I did tell the sales that I wanted run flats upon ordering the wheels.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:08 PM
StingrayJL
Advanced

JerryU, right on point totally agree but I already got my wheels and tires so I'm stuck with it for this time but next time I'll get the run flats. Yes definitely when you get a tow MUST be a flat bed period.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 10:19 PM
StingrayJL
Advanced

As you mentioned you have been super lucky. But was also told by many of them that the carry the plug kit and air compressor in the car and the emergency road service. I'm not going to ship it back because I need my car and these wheels and tires came from California. I'm just gonna stick with these non-runflats till they wear out and then I'll decide what to go with.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:25 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Doesn’t Michlin have a 30 day return policy? Send them back for the rf version.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:10 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

not to worry, if non-slimeable non-runflat flat, just ask the tow company to send a Peterbilt 359 Holmes wrecker. guaranteed no C7 wheel will ever turn when towed with the Peterbilt and possibly start the A8 tranny problems.

Last edited by SilverGhost; 07-01-2019 at 03:12 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:49 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Good Morning folks,

Thanks,
Juan
I have replaced my wheels and tires since C5's came out, in the 90's with non run flats, my Porsche's are non run flats, my Ferrari is non run flats, all these have no spare tires either. I carry a small compressor, plug kits and 2 cans of Fix-a-Flat, if all else fails, this all fits in the little cubby's in the rear of the vette's, lots of miles, lots of decades and NO ISSUES.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:06 AM
ShadowGray19
Pro

Received 379 Likes on 209 Posts

I have a great battery powered compressor and plug kit. Never want to have to use it. The flats I have had recently (both on Ram Trucks with almost new tires) both occurred in bad times at bad places. With my luck, the next flat will be at night, in heavy rain on a narrow country road with no shoulder. Try plugging your C7 tire in that situation and let us know how it goes. I have run flats on the C7 and my wife's BMW. If they made them for the Jeep Grand Cherokee I would put them on that vehicle as well. In today's world, I consider run flats to be an important safety device especially for a woman driving alone.
The following 3 users liked this post by ShadowGray19:
Bavaria (07-08-2019), JerryU (07-01-2019), joemessman (07-01-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 12:26 PM
StingrayJL
Advanced

Thanks for the reply hcvone, I will definitely get all that kit to be safe.

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin

Old 07-08-2019, 12:37 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Good choice. Non Run flats are as safe as every tire ever made before and after run flats appeared on the scene. You're question might be more about how likely is it that you'll be stuck if you get a flat. If that's the case, it's a question of where do you drive that a loss of a tire would present a risk. I went with non-run flats for the ride quality improvements. I have AAA and drive mainly where it's not a problem to pull over and get my kit out or call AAA if needed. Like insurance levels, the answer is individually specific to each person.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:17 PM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Default Hmm?

Wife in the car. Midnight, winter temps, dark street, non RF is flat. You're going to pull over. Jack your car up. Spin the tire on the car. Find the hole or nail. Plug it. Get your mini pump out and plug it into the cigarette lighter. Pump the tire up which likely will take 15-20 minutes. Stow all. And go on your way. Really? That is nuts. Besides being hideously dangerous. Geez, I don't even want to sit in the dark and snow waiting an hour or more for AAA. That time of night, busy winter biz, maybe 2 hours. Plus you'll need to hire a divorce attorney.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:09 PM
rrepp
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

I guess if you're a gambler then non run flats are ok for you. But on a Corvette they just don't pencil out for me. The car is very low to the ground and would be difficult to properly jack up in many places where one is required to pull over to fix the flat. I think the OEM tires are great on my C7. And with the Corsa exhaust I can't here any tire noise anyway. Plus for me, since my wife drives without me with her (a stick shift) I would never run non run flats. To each his own of course. But especially if you take trips in your Corvette, you are rolling the dice if you're running non run flat tires.
The following users liked this post:
papillion (07-08-2019)

Quick Reply: Michelin