Sponsored by:

Corvette Racing IMSA GTLM

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 08:05 PM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Default Corvette Racing IMSA GTLM

Just read IMSA's latest BOP adjustments for this weekend's race at CTMP/Mosport. The only car "adjusted" in GTLM was the Corvette C7R with 10kg of weight added. Really incredible thinking there, Porsche has won 4 races in a row, and clearly has the best BOP in the class and they get nothing?? I guess we'll just let Porsche run the table, and while we're at it why not any penalty for taking the #4 Corvette out on Lap 1 of a 6 hour race and injuring our driver in the process? Incredible. I guess Porsche is this season's designated champ.
The following 4 users liked this post by TKgs2010:
Bwright (07-05-2019), Foosh (07-05-2019), tnfan (07-03-2019), Vetteram (07-07-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 08:52 PM
v.vet's Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 115 Posts

That stinks! That's what you get with NASCAR running the show. No common sense applied here!
Old 07-03-2019, 08:59 PM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

Doesn't WeatherTech, the series sponsor, run Porsche in their race team?
The following users liked this post:
DALE#3 (07-04-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 09:06 PM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Is it also true that the current configuration of engine location in the Porsche race cars is not the same as in the production model?
Bwright (07-05-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 11:34 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,301 Likes on 13,974 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Hard to understand what the heck they are thinking when it comes to the BOP for each team. Seems all Team Corvette is getting is penalized.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:30 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bubbletop409
Is it also true that the current configuration of engine location in the Porsche race cars is not the same as in the production model?
Yes it is, and I could rant all day on that. It's mid-engine and they used a loophole in the rules and got waivers from IMSA to run the car this season. They already have an evolution version of the car currently being tested to run next season.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:31 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dbdave
Doesn't WeatherTech, the series sponsor, run Porsche in their race team?
They have run both Porsche and Ferrari in the GTD class.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:38 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Hard to understand what the heck they are thinking when it comes to the BOP for each team. Seems all Team Corvette is getting is penalized.
If you can figure that out, please educate me. I looked at the lap times from the Glen and I'm not really seeing a lot of difference in the whole GTLM class. A Corvette did qualify on pole, but not by more than a couple tenths and also had fastest lap, but that can be subjective also, it was on a clear track, no traffic. Looking through the lap times in the class, all were covered by no more than 1 1/2 seconds, I think that's pretty good parity, so I'm confused as to why the Corvettes were given an extra 10 kilos (22lbs) while the Porsches (who have won the last 4 races) remained as is.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:40 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by v.vet's Z06
That stinks! That's what you get with NASCAR running the show. No common sense applied here!
I'd love to hear their reasoning behind that decision.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:45 AM
lavla
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 180 Posts

This race may be the Swan Song for the C7R since the C8 will be rolled out on the 18th of this month. Hopefully, they've got the C8R ready to go for the next race. If so, it will take the rest of the season to get the new car in "racing shape" for the 2020 season. As far as the BOP is concerned, it's hard to figure out IMSA's thinking. If GM/Corvette ever left the Weather Tech series, that would be the end for them.

There are problems in the GTLM class going forward. BMW will not be racing next year (They're going full electric) as with Ford (Disqualified, they don't sell any cars). All you have left is Porsche and Ferrari (Private team, Risi). Who knows, the two Corvettes may be racing each other like in GT1. I hope it doesn't come to that. Racing is a great platform for manufacturers to showcase their cars.
DALE#3 (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 06:51 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

NASCAR has fucked up IMSA just as they have the cup series. Porsche can seem to do no wrong and now GTLM will be a ghost town class next year.

C8R needs to run GTD and go head to head with McClaren, Ferrari and the others along with opening up to privateers.
DALE#3 (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 07:15 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

Is it also true that the current engine/transmission in the Chevrolet C7R race cars is not the same engine/transmission as in the production models? Although they label the C7Rs on the front vents "Z06"?

Engine: Chevrolet Corvette LT5.5 5.5 L(336 cu in) V8 90° naturally aspirated, front engined, longitudinally mounted No AFM?

Transmission: Xtrac 6-speed semi-automatic gearbox What? no A8?

Tyres: Michelin BBS forged magnesium wheels
How dey do dat and call it a production car? I tink it more NHRA Funny Car.

Funny cars are characterized by having fiberglass or carbon fiber automotive bodies over a custom-fabricated chassis, giving them an appearance vaguely approximating manufacturers' showroom models.
So racing improves the breed: where is the Chevrolet BBS forged magnesium wheels option for street vettes? Bet they don't have bent/crack wheel syndrome.

Last edited by SilverGhost; 07-04-2019 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:47 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Switching Fav racing to this platform.Sick of the Going on in running NASCRAP.
This type is getting ruined.TV Loves drama.Drama sells.
Wasn't even thinking of Weathertech,Poosh connection.That answers alot of questions.
It is obvious what the hell is going on.Funny thing... Aren't we tied in first for the championship?
BOP Is trying like Hell to slow US,Yes CORVETTE RACING down. Now it's Demo Derby Time..Well has been with the Poosh.
Last weeks TV Coverage with a Goddam rain delay in NASCAR.Messed up end of GTLM Race for recording,WTHell.
Tell ya what: Their is hardly any dame TV Time for GTLM Class.I'm ripping,wanna see CR On.It is great racing with the different classes.But spread out your coverage.
Usually just watch #3 Corvette in car on IMSA.But gotta watch live for both.When their friggen LIVE Again?
Go NHRA..A virgin type of racing..No Racing

Last edited by DALE#3; 07-04-2019 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:11 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by TKgs2010
I'd love to hear their reasoning behind that decision.
It is actually simple. They don't want a repeat of last year, where due to BOP, the C7.R didn't win a single race but, because they had no failure on the #3 and thus finished every race, they still won the championship. With the added weight, it should keep the #3 & #4 C7.R's from finishing in the top 3, and thus making sure Porsche wins the GTLM class championship for 2019.
The following 2 users liked this post by LIStingray:
Bwright (07-05-2019), DALE#3 (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 01:27 PM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LIStingray
It is actually simple. They don't want a repeat of last year, where due to BOP, the C7.R didn't win a single race but, because they had no failure on the #3 and thus finished every race, they still won the championship. With the added weight, it should keep the #3 & #4 C7.R's from finishing in the top 3, and thus making sure Porsche wins the GTLM class championship for 2019.
Yes it IS simple. The point you're missing here is yes, Corvette did win the Championship last year without actually winning a race, but it was the DRIVERS championship, not the MANUFACTURERS championship. The Drivers title is nice, but it's the Manufacturers championship that the teams all want, because that's the one that pays the bills. Driver and Team titles are pretty much just bragging rights, it's the Manufacturers title that's really the big deal.
The following 2 users liked this post by TKgs2010:
Foosh (07-05-2019), Mcrider (07-08-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 01:31 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,407 Likes on 611 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by lavla
This race may be the Swan Song for the C7R since the C8 will be rolled out on the 18th of this month. Hopefully, they've got the C8R ready to go for the next race. If so, it will take the rest of the season to get the new car in "racing shape" for the 2020 season. As far as the BOP is concerned, it's hard to figure out IMSA's thinking. If GM/Corvette ever left the Weather Tech series, that would be the end for them.

There are problems in the GTLM class going forward. BMW will not be racing next year (They're going full electric) as with Ford (Disqualified, they don't sell any cars). All you have left is Porsche and Ferrari (Private team, Risi). Who knows, the two Corvettes may be racing each other like in GT1. I hope it doesn't come to that. Racing is a great platform for manufacturers to showcase their cars.
They are obligated to run the C7R’s for the entire season. They have however been testing a C8R for a year now.

Last edited by Glennm27; 07-04-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:39 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

C7R is running the rest of this season, this is a given.

Ford doesn't want to run the GT40, it was originally a 5 year program and its done. Its not because they arent selling enough of them for homologation. They can sell as many of those as they want, and they've already decided to build more of them because demand is so high.

IMSA is just telling us that Porsche is the ordained winner this year no matter what. They should run with the Manuf. Title now. They do this every couple years and its easy to see if you've been paying attention long enough. I'm sure most of you remember when they basically gave it to Viper a few years ago.
Bwright (07-05-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Racing IMSA GTLM

Old 07-04-2019, 01:43 PM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lavla

I think due to IMSA rules the C7R will be running the remainder of this season, while the new C8R will continue testing away from public view. Hopefully that extra testing will allow them to get the new car completely sorted and ready to compete for the win at Daytona next January.

Re the BMW's, to the best of my knowledge BMW Team RLL will be back in GTLM for next season, the BMW team MTek in the Euro LeMans series are the ones pulling out for next season. And Ford, I still believe the Ford GT is the best car in GTLM right now, Ford is pulling out as a Factory team, but rumor has it that although Ford looks to be going to DPi cars, they will offer the GT race cars to private teams, and I'm guessing that will include "back door" factory help, as Ford and Multimatic provided to Ben Keating's Ford GT at LeMans this year.

Team Corvette's not going anywhere, neither is Porsche, and I'm thinking (hoping?) neither are BMW and Ford, also hoping Risi gets more $$$ from Ferrari, as they always put a good car and good drivers on the track, I'd love to see them full season. Also, there have been rumors of Aston Martin getting back in IMSA, that would be great, the more the better, we don't want a repeat of GT1.
Foosh (07-05-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 01:53 PM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vader86
C7R is running the rest of this season, this is a given.

Ford doesn't want to run the GT40, it was originally a 5 year program and its done. Its not because they arent selling enough of them for homologation. They can sell as many of those as they want, and they've already decided to build more of them because demand is so high.

IMSA is just telling us that Porsche is the ordained winner this year no matter what. They should run with the Manuf. Title now. They do this every couple years and its easy to see if you've been paying attention long enough. I'm sure most of you remember when they basically gave it to Viper a few years ago.
I do remember the Viper year. That was a shame, because I don't think the Viper needed any "help", it was a great race car as it was. The thing I never really understood was that the Viper came stock with an 8.4 liter V10 engine, while the Corvette came stock with a 6.2 liter V8, the Vipers V10 was reduced to 8.0 liters and the Corvette to 5.5 liters while the weights were pretty similar in race form. The Vipers always seemed to have a big advantage in torque launching off the corners due to the extra 2.5 liters of displacement.

It does pretty much suck that Porsche wins 4 races in a row and Corvette gets BOP'd, and the ongoing bumper car tactics from Porsche never gets addressed by IMSA.
Foosh (07-05-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 01:59 PM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DALE#3
Switching Fav racing to this platform.Sick of the Going on in running NASCRAP.
This type is getting ruined.TV Loves drama.Drama sells.
Wasn't even thinking of Weathertech,Poosh connection.That answers alot of questions.
It is obvious what the hell is going on.Funny thing... Aren't we tied in first for the championship?
BOP Is trying like Hell to slow US,Yes CORVETTE RACING down. Now it's Demo Derby Time..Well has been with the Poosh.
Last weeks TV Coverage with a Goddam rain delay in NASCAR.Messed up end of GTLM Race for recording,WTHell.
Tell ya what: Their is hardly any dame TV Time for GTLM Class.I'm ripping,wanna see CR On.It is great racing with the different classes.But spread out your coverage.
Usually just watch #3 Corvette in car on IMSA.But gotta watch live for both.When their friggen LIVE Again?
Go NHRA..A virgin type of racing..No Racing
Just shows that IMSA doesn't reward teams for running within the scope of the rules and racing clean, it's all about keeping "some" teams happy and remaining in the Series. Apparently it's OK to run a car not available to the public and drive like a NASCAR field with 3 laps to go.

Quick Reply: Corvette Racing IMSA GTLM