C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What x-pipe to get instead of Borla?

Old 07-12-2019, 12:06 AM
AXIS89
CF Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What x-pipe to get instead of Borla?

What are some of the options that mimic the borla x pipe design and are available currently? I really want to ditch the rear cats but I dont want to deal with the 3" pipes on the corsa so I'd like something similar to the Borla design. Ive seen Manzo and AME (or something like that) but didnt see many reviews for them.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:10 AM
James Dean
CF Senior Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I have had the Manzo and Borla. For the money, Manzo is pretty hard to beat. Corsa does sound the best though.

Someone did a performance test and Corsa was worse than the Borla or a custom Titanium exhaust which did the best. The Manzo is similar dimensions to the Borla but the muffler side pipes are a bit smaller than needed. Someone mentioned using an exhaust expander to make it easier but I'm not knowledgeable about that.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:12 AM
Gould1

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I used a Top Speed Pro 1 x pipe. Fit good and sounds good too. Billy Boat makes one too.

Last edited by Gould1; 07-12-2019 at 06:12 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:28 AM
CptCvMan
CF Senior Member

Received 142 Likes on 79 Posts

Look for AWE x-pipe. Sounds good and I believe it is 2.75" pipe.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:35 AM
ImpliedConsent
CF Senior Member

Received 247 Likes on 156 Posts

...or, Google speed shops in your area and have them build you a custom cat-back.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:10 AM
zo6_ ruff
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

The new AWE x-pipe seems to be gaining some popularity.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:27 PM
ajcarson11

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.corvetteforum.com%2Ffo rums%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D1599739384%2 3post1599739384

See my/our comments here -- I'd recommend the Manzo or Top speed.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:18 PM
C7&7
CF Senior Member

Received 240 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by AXIS89 View Post
What are some of the options that mimic the borla x pipe design and are available currently? I really want to ditch the rear cats but I dont want to deal with the 3" pipes on the corsa so I'd like something similar to the Borla design. Ive seen Manzo and AME (or something like that) but didnt see many reviews for them.
Whats wrong with the 3 inch?
Old 07-13-2019, 09:11 AM
MA ZO6
CF Senior Member

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
https%3A%2F%2Fwww.corvetteforum.com%2Ffo rums%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D1599739384%2 3post1599739384

See my/our comments here -- I'd recommend the Manzo or Top speed.
Link doesn't work, can you repost with correct link?
Old 07-13-2019, 10:32 AM
Corpsvette
CF Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I just installed the Corsa. No issues with it being 3". Everything fit like a glove. Sounds great. There is a post where a gentlemen said he did lose power from his stock exhaust during track runs and then put the stock exhaust back on and gained the few 10th of a second back. I was not in it for the power gain, just the sound. I do like the AWE and I probably would have given that a try if I had to do over. While my exhaust sounds much better than it did from stock, I still think B&B Fusion or Borla ATAK is in the future, once I win the lotto. No more mods for a while. I just need to enjoy the car at the moment.
The following users liked this post:
bluekey28 (07-14-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 11:11 AM
Internets_Ninja
CF Senior Member

Received 216 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by C7&7 View Post
Whats wrong with the 3 inch?

Being the OEM exhaust system is 2.75 inch there have been some dyno suggestions that show a 3 inch X pipe with the stock exhaust does not pick up as much power as a 2.75 inch x pipe. One guy claimed track proven performance loss by going to the 3 inch on his Z06 and then gained his track times back after switching to the OEM X pipe. HE did provide time slips so its hard to argue with. Now the "power gains" with an X pipe are minimal on a Z06. Maybe 10 HP/TQ on a good day. There is also a suggestion that going with a 3 inch Xpipe causes a loss in low end torque due to scavenging efficiency being hampered. And this would be due to the exhaust pulses becoming less efficient escaping due to the pipe diameter change in the middle of the system with a 3 inch X pipe.

Now all of that said, there was a YouTube video where they dyno'd a Z06 and the Corsa(3inch) was the lowest power with Borla(2.75inch) being higher but not as good as the custom built titanium X pipe they were advertising in the video. I for one DO believe that the 3 inch Corsa negatively effects torque a small amount and DOES cause a disruption in exit exhaust gas pulses. But I have no real proof. Additionally were not talking a ton of power here so anyone who is just daily driving their vette and doesn't race likely won't even notice.

I still suggest staying with a 2.75 inch diameter X pipe whichever way you go. I was fortunate enough to have bought the Borla for my 2015 Z51 and then removed it before I traded it in and got my Z06 and then installed it on my Z06. Love the extra sound with it.
The following users liked this post:
gavinvr4 (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 05:00 PM
VictorBarron
CF Senior Member

Received 330 Likes on 239 Posts

Corsa with Magnaflow Comps is a killer set up.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:20 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 290 Likes on 273 Posts

We can get you the Corsa or the AWE. We have both in stock!

-Josh
Old 07-14-2019, 11:22 AM
2ZORNOT2Z
CF Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Why wouldn't you just have an exhaust shop remove the rear cats vs buying and installing a whole new X-pipe mid-section without them? Seems cheaper and I'd bet the gains are similar. Or is there some other kind of restriction besides the rear cats in the OEM mid-pipe?
Old 07-14-2019, 05:04 PM
Internets_Ninja
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2ZORNOT2Z View Post
Why wouldn't you just have an exhaust shop remove the rear cats vs buying and installing a whole new X-pipe mid-section without them? Seems cheaper and I'd bet the gains are similar. Or is there some other kind of restriction besides the rear cats in the OEM mid-pipe?
So that you can easily go back to stock.
Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM
2ZORNOT2Z
CF Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Internets_Ninja View Post
So that you can easily go back to stock.
It's pretty simple for them to install the straight pipe sections with clamps instead of welding and do a bit of a crimp on the catted sections so you can swap them back and forth too. Just curious if anyone has done that vs replacing the whole mid-pipe?
Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM
Internets_Ninja
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2ZORNOT2Z View Post
It's pretty simple for them to install the straight pipe sections with clamps instead of welding and do a bit of a crimp on the catted sections so you can swap them back and forth too. Just curious if anyone has done that vs replacing the whole mid-pipe?

The cost is so close to just buying an X pipe and not worrying about clamps and leaks. Why even bother with the headache? Not to mention you can easily sell the aftermarket X pipe down the road. And another thing, the factory X pipe uses a crossover vs aftermarket typically uses the better intersecting type like they use on NASCAR. The latter being better at making top end power.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What x-pipe to get instead of Borla?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: