Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat bed towing A8...

Old 07-13-2019, 06:03 PM
ScottKolek
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Flat bed towing A8...

I couldn't find an exact answer to this, but I apologize if I didn't look hard enough. I tow my car to the track on a flat car hauler, using the T-hook points. Should I place my A8 in neutral, or leave it in park? If neutral, how does one go about doing that, can you start the car, shift it into neutral, then turn the car off?
Old 07-17-2019, 06:56 AM
ScottKolek
Pro

Anyone?
Old 07-17-2019, 07:40 AM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKolek
Anyone?
Might find this helpful, or not... seems to be mixed schools of thought...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-in-gear.html
The following users liked this post:
ScottKolek (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 07:45 AM
ScottKolek
Pro

Yeah, pretty old thread, no real consensus, and mostly talk about towing manual transmissions in neutral, but nothing about automatics...
Old 07-17-2019, 08:09 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

If I remember correctly from when I replace my console, to get the A8 in Neutral, you have to have the ignition "on" and the computer will not let you shut off the ignition while the in Neutral. In their infinite wisdom,

So won't the battery go dead or at least be significantly discharged if you left the ignition on for a long drive home?
ScottKolek (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 08:39 AM
ScottKolek
Pro

Good point, didn't know the car wouldn't shut off if in neutral.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:33 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Somebody said that in Accessory, you can move the gear selector out of Park. It would seem that you could then cancel Accessory, or let it time out (20 minutes); and the car would be asleep in Neutral.

But I haven't tried any of that.
ScottKolek (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 08:32 PM
AZav8r
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Set the parking brake while it's in "P", that way there's no drive line lash to the transmission's parking pawl. If the car is otherwise strapped down securely, you should be good.

It's even a good idea to set the parking brake all of the time. Engaging the parking brake, with the vehicle stopped of course, prior to selecting park prevents the car from rolling that little bit and being stopped by the pawl. Ever felt the occasion that it takes a little extra effort to get it out of Park? It's from extra tension on the pawl from the car rolling against it. No stress on the pawl prevents wear, and potential issues.
The following 2 users liked this post by AZav8r:
Carvin (07-18-2019), ScottKolek (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 07:03 AM
ScottKolek
Pro

Originally Posted by AZav8r
Set the parking brake while it's in "P", that way there's no drive line lash to the transmission's parking pawl. If the car is otherwise strapped down securely, you should be good.

It's even a good idea to set the parking brake all of the time. Engaging the parking brake, with the vehicle stopped of course, prior to selecting park prevents the car from rolling that little bit and being stopped by the pawl. Ever felt the occasion that it takes a little extra effort to get it out of Park? It's from extra tension on the pawl from the car rolling against it. No stress on the pawl prevents wear, and potential issues.
I'm assuming you set the parking brake after it's all tied down tightly, otherwise the car moves / rocks a bit when you tighten it down?
Old 07-18-2019, 07:52 AM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 482 Posts

I'd set the parking brake in NEUTRAL before setting the gear selector to PARK. That way the brake is holding it in place with tranny as backup, and no pressure on the pawl.
ScottKolek (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 07:47 PM
AZav8r
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKolek
I'm assuming you set the parking brake after it's all tied down tightly, otherwise the car moves / rocks a bit when you tighten it down?
Depends on how you're secure it...wheel straps, or tie-down hooks secured to the jack point slots. Regardless, once the parking brake is set, there should be little to no movement when adding tie down tension evenly around all four secure points.

Originally Posted by NashvilleGrandSport
I'd set the parking brake in NEUTRAL before setting the gear selector to PARK. That way the brake is holding it in place with tranny as backup, and no pressure on the pawl.
Either this, or just keep your foot on the brake while in the R, D, or M selections. The idea is to have the parking brake engaged prior to selecting "P" (pawl engagement) so the drivetrain can't move to put tension on the pawl.

Last edited by AZav8r; 07-18-2019 at 07:48 PM.
ScottKolek (07-18-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Flat bed towing A8...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flat bed towing A8...