Airbag code reader

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 07:59 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,782 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Default Airbag code reader

2019 Grand Sport, M7. Car is all stock except brake pads and tires

During track days, without fail, my airbag light will pop on at some point during the session. Might be the first lap, might be the eighth, but it pops on. Turn the car off, restart it, and the light is off until next session. It does not and has not ever come on over the course of 4K street miles.

It’s almost certainly a loose connector but it could be a component as well. Rather than spending hours checking every wire, connector, and pin I want to pull the code(s) to narrow the search area. The only dealer I trust is 1-2 hours away depending on traffic.

That said....can anyone recommend a low cost diagnostic tool that can read the SRS (aka airbag) codes? Have you verified it can read the SRS codes on your C7 Many advertise they do...but it often turns out they don’t.

Last edited by 96GS#007; 07-18-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:16 PM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

Got this in an email from the tech support folks at BlueDriver. Might be hard to find one that does these functions on a GM product without spending a lot of coin.
"Your 2019 Chevrolet Corvette will support all features including enhanced codes with the exception of Airbags and TPMS diagnostics. Unfortunately in 2007 GM switched to a non-standard pin/protocol (#1/“gmlan”) for airbag and TPMS diagnostics, which is not compatible with the current version of BlueDriver."
Old 07-18-2019, 10:07 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,782 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Null Pointer
Got this in an email from the tech support folks at BlueDriver. Might be hard to find one that does these functions on a GM product without spending a lot of coin.
"Your 2019 Chevrolet Corvette will support all features including enhanced codes with the exception of Airbags and TPMS diagnostics. Unfortunately in 2007 GM switched to a non-standard pin/protocol (#1/“gmlan”) for airbag and TPMS diagnostics, which is not compatible with the current version of BlueDriver."
Brutal

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I'll have to make the drive to the dealer.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:55 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

There's up to 18 modules on the low-speed GMLAN circuit. That thing is going to be missing a lot more than just airbags and TPMS...

OBDLink MX has the hardware to read low speed GMLAN, but I don't know of any software that'll actually perform those functions.
The following users liked this post:
Null Pointer (07-19-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Airbag code reader

Quick Reply: Airbag code reader