Sponsored by:

Taking specific noise measurements

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 09:15 AM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by DugT
Assuming the output of the app was at a constant level and my good PC speakers were fairly accurate, both my phone app meter and my "Quality" meter were inaccurate at some frequencies.

Your meter is likely 100X more accurate then your speakers. Get an RTA app on your phone and prepare to laugh at the speakers response- it will be all over the place.

As you stated - you only care if dBs drop during your experiment, don’t over think it... less dBs is quieter regardless of frequency.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:04 PM
DugT
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JMII

Your meter is likely 100X more accurate then your speakers. Get an RTA app on your phone and prepare to laugh at the speakers response- it will be all over the place.

As you stated - you only care if dBs drop during your experiment, don’t over think it... less dBs is quieter regardless of frequency.
Edit: Yes, I overthink things. It has advantages and disadvantages. I'm going to think about this for a while.

My 100x more accurate meter reading dBA and my phone app and the speakers and the tone generator app all seem to output or measure consistant output at lower frequencies. But, the meters dBC measures inordinantly high at low frequencies so I think the meter is inaccurate not the speakers.

Above 4000 Hz, the signal generator, meter in dBA and dBC, and speakers all seem to work well but the phone fails. That also can't be the speakers. I think the phone filters out frequencies above 4k Hz because those frequencies are more likely to be noise than voice. I think the meters dBC capability is less useful than I thought it would be even though most of my cars noise is where dBC should excel. The phone should suck at reading lower frequencies but it seems more accurate than the dBC tool.

So, lower dB's is better and I wouldn't rush out to buy a good meter that reads dBC.

Last edited by DugT; 08-25-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:09 PM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,415 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Default Hmm?

We paid extra for NPP exhaust to make our car nosier. Go figure eh?

Old 08-25-2019, 01:58 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by papillion

So true but it’s all about timing. I have a Mild to Wild on my GS, since my Corvette is purely for fun I’m almost always in loud mode but for someone commuting to work or on a road trip I can definitely appreciate the desire for a quieter cabin.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:21 PM
DugT
Racer

Originally Posted by papillion

Up until about ten minutes before I read this post, I thought my car had NPP. I thought all C7 Z51's had NPP but not in earlier models and mine is a 2014. I'd love to be able to turn on more exhaust at times. But much more of the time I'd prefer it was a little more quiet, especially when I am trying to hear a passenger. Tinnitus is to blame.

I've only had a Corvette for a little more than a week and I'm surprised at all the attention it gets even when it is sound asleep. I makes me feel like even more of a rock star!
Old 08-25-2019, 03:30 PM
DugT
Racer

Does anyone know this guys phone number?

NVH = Noise Vibration Harshness

Quick Reply: Taking specific noise measurements