Sponsored by:

C7 bent/cracked wheel roll call

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 06:04 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 650 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by tertiumquid
And GM still maintains that the wheels are fine, it's just the drivers who seek out potholes and other obstructions in the road...
To be fair, the 1000 entries don't equal 1000 customers due to multiple comments. However, when you consider that many, if not all, of the owners report multiple wheel failures it still adds up to an horrendous record of poor quality on GM's part.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:26 PM
dbj216
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Bent and cracked cast aluminum 19" and 20" diameter is quite a debacle with the C7 Corvettes. You can bet customers are turned off by it.

Has anyone ever seen an up to date failure rate for these wheels on GS and Z06 cars? There is a poll on these forums that shows about a 20% reported failure rate by those who responded in the pole, a very non scientific number. This thread by Scudz has a long data sheet of bent wheels. I wonder what the total is so far? Based on production records for GS and Z06 cars, I think there are about 280,000 of these inadequate wheels out there. Again reported failure on one Forum thread is nowhere near what the real number might be, which is significantly higher.

David
Old 09-10-2021, 09:30 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Does it matter at this point ?? GM doesn't care. No sense bitching & complaining over it. I brought the C7 GS knowing it would need wheels eventually. I split the cost with the previous owner. Took $2500 off the price. Move on !!
Old 09-10-2021, 10:11 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by the blur
Does it matter at this point ?? GM doesn't care. No sense bitching & complaining over it. I brought the C7 GS knowing it would need wheels eventually. I split the cost with the previous owner. Took $2500 off the price. Move on !!
Unfortunately, you're absolutely correct on your summation. It's a fool's errand to chase GM and their cohort of lawyers. There's an occasional win through arbitration but those are outliers, not the norm. As long as you know what you're in for if you buy a GS or ZO6 and are willing to bite the bullet for decent wheels, they're still great cars to have, especially the ZO6 if you're into raw power and acceleration.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:36 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,448 Likes on 2,063 Posts

I agree with the above comments. I just considered the purchase of my car was going to have a few thousand dollars additional required for new wheels. Fortunately I got 15,000 miles on the cast wheels until one finally cracked. I already had a new set of wheels purchased and ready to go for when that time came. I simply just considered that it wasn't if my original wheels would break, but how long it would it would be before one did.
Old 09-11-2021, 12:35 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by joemessman
I agree with the above comments. I just considered the purchase of my car was going to have a few thousand dollars additional required for new wheels. Fortunately I got 15,000 miles on the cast wheels until one finally cracked. I already had a new set of wheels purchased and ready to go for when that time came. I simply just considered that it wasn't if my original wheels would break, but how long it would it would be before one did.
And, you got to have fun with the car from the get-go without the aggravating hassle of the wheels issue like so many other new owners have to go through. Forewarned is forearmed.
Old 09-11-2021, 01:03 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,448 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Originally Posted by tertiumquid
And, you got to have fun with the car from the get-go without the aggravating hassle of the wheels issue like so many other new owners have to go through. Forewarned is forearmed.
Yes. Like John Wooden used to say. "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail."
Old 09-16-2021, 08:19 PM
dyoung
Pro

Received 448 Likes on 236 Posts

All 4 wheels bent on a friends Carbon 65 GS coupe.

He is going with Forgelines as a replacement.

Last edited by dyoung; 09-16-2021 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:45 AM
Scudz
Pro

Received 323 Likes on 192 Posts

List updated.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:09 AM
51dodgeconv
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2019 Grand Sport - both Rear Wheels Bent

Just went to dealer and was told my 2019 Grand Sport has 2 bent rear wheels. Based on the posts I see, this is an issue on GS and Z06. Any suggestions? Dealer has said GM will not accept responsibility. Car has 6900 miles and is under warranty until May 2022. Suggestions on what to replace with? OEM or ???? Found OEM from ZR1. Are they better? Understand there is a pending class action suit. Not sure how to get involved or how long it will take for resolution. Any help is greatly appreciated. I need to move forward as I want to get car back on the road before winter in Indiana. Planning to buy all season tires to extend driving season. Thank you.
Steve Zoller.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:21 AM
Merlin803
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 51dodgeconv
Just went to dealer and was told my 2019 Grand Sport has 2 bent rear wheels. Based on the posts I see, this is an issue on GS and Z06. Any suggestions? Dealer has said GM will not accept responsibility. Car has 6900 miles and is under warranty until May 2022. Suggestions on what to replace with? OEM or ???? Found OEM from ZR1. Are they better? Understand there is a pending class action suit. Not sure how to get involved or how long it will take for resolution. Any help is greatly appreciated. I need to move forward as I want to get car back on the road before winter in Indiana. Planning to buy all season tires to extend driving season. Thank you.
Steve Zoller.
It's definitely a pain that you shouldn't have to deal with but unfortunately has been a real issue for many of us. I can't speak on the warranty and law suits but I just came to the conclusion for me at the end of last year that life is short and this is a headache that I could resolve with biting the bullet & getting new forged wheels.

As a little background, I have a 2017 GS & had read the horror stories about bent/broken wheels so when I bought mine last year I right away replaced the stock tires w/ all seasons and paid for the magnetic ride software update. I also only drive in Tour mode. Neither helped, I had to replace cracked wheels about 4 times in the first 8 months & never hit any notable pot holes. And that was really only about 5,000 miles of driving.

I have been driving other vehicles daily on the same roads for over 30 years and had NEVER had to repair/replace a damaged wheel until this car.

I settled on these Forged One FF10's and have not had any issues in over 9 months of driving the same roads - https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...+Black+Painted

The stock wheels are just not sufficient for these wide body cars IMHO.

Last edited by Merlin803; 09-21-2021 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:38 AM
legacypgmr
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Steve Zoller.
Originally Posted by Merlin803
It's definitely a pain that you shouldn't have to deal with but unfortunately has been a real issue for many of us. I can't speak on the warranty and law suits but I just came to the conclusion for me at the end of last year that life is short and this is a headache that I could resolve with biting the bullet & getting new forged wheels.

As a little background, I have a 2017 GS & had read the horror stories about bent/broken wheels so when I bought mine last year I right away replaced the stock tires w/ all seasons and paid for the magnetic ride software update. I also only drive in Tour mode. Neither helped, I had to replace cracked wheels about 4 times in the first 8 months & never hit any notable pot holes. And that was really only about 5,000 miles of driving.

I have been driving other vehicles daily on the same roads for over 30 years and had NEVER had to repair/replace a damaged wheel until this car.

I settled on these Forged One FF10's and have not had any issues in over 9 months of driving the same roads - https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...+Black+Painted

The stock wheels are just not sufficient for these wide body cars IMHO.
Your LAST line would appear to be correct.

In another thread on here another long time poster suggested this very thing. The stock GS wheel cannot handle a WIDEBODY C7.

Anybody getting one of these (and *I* am a candidate) should just prepare to change the wheels. Better(?) still, get new wheels immediately and try to sell the GS wheels for as much as you can while they're still intact.

Then again, given all the cars Mr 51 appears to have I have trouble mustering up too much sympathy for him.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:28 PM
51dodgeconv
Heel & Toe

9/20/2021
51dodgeconv
2 bent rear wheels
2019 C7 Grand Sport
Old 09-21-2021, 12:52 PM
51dodgeconv
Heel & Toe

" given all the cars Mr 51 appears to have" is based on a VERY understanding wife Had to decide to either put it in the bank to leave for the kids or enjoy it.......

And, thank you for the comments on the wheels. I just completed the complaint form to NHTSA. Hopefully that will do some good. Looks like the general consensus on the forum is aftermarket forged rims. Having been involved with metallurgy in my career, I would NOT suggest reworking bent rims. They are already stressed and reworking will just compound that issue. You will surely wind up with cracks or bending. Someone also asked about welding cracks. That is also NOT advisable. Any rework is a very temporary fix and could be dangerous at high speed.

Old 09-21-2021, 01:13 PM
JohnKyJones
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 71 Posts

" given all the cars Mr 51 appears to have" is based on a VERY understanding wife Had to decide to either put it in the bank to leave for the kids or enjoy it.......

And, thank you for the comments on the wheels. I just completed the complaint form to NHTSA. Hopefully that will do some good. Looks like the general consensus on the forum is aftermarket forged rims. Having been involved with metallurgy in my career, I would NOT suggest reworking bent rims. They are already stressed and reworking will just compound that issue. You will surely wind up with cracks or bending. Someone also asked about welding cracks. That is also NOT advisable. Any rework is a very temporary fix and could be dangerous at high speed.
All 4 wheels on my new 19GS bent on my 393 mile drive home on the interstate while on averaging 55 mph for the trip for the 500 mile break in process.
GM doesn’t care, won’t warrant or replace. I filed a BBB arbitration and won. GM had to reimburse me for my Forgeline Forged Monoblock wheels. Some have won and some have lost their BBB arbitration. Doesn’t cost anything but time and effort. I bought my new wheels 1st because I wasn’t going to waste money on OEM crap wheels. I did the arbitration after I got my new Forgeline’s thru Gerry at CW4L here on the forum.
Some say the ZR1 wheels are ok but I can’t vouch for them.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:34 PM
legacypgmr
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Never met that kind of lady. Sounds like a keeper. Congrats !!!

Certainly not an expert on wheels but I'd liken "reworking" to bending a paper clip open and closed a number of times. From the very first opening the metal bend is starting to fail - and bending it back only exacerbates the issue.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:40 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,136 Likes on 1,832 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKyJones
GM doesn’t care, won’t warrant or replace. I filed a BBB arbitration and won. GM had to reimburse me for my Forgeline Forged Monoblock wheels. Some have won and some have lost their BBB arbitration. Doesn’t cost anything but time and effort.
I tried twice with BBB.Lost twice.Don't understand the With time?Meaning a POS from the start is a POS PERIOD!
I was within my BBWarranty on the first shot.At 14k denied.
2nd shot I was to late.
The early trouble may have a shot,but time matches on.
I had all the proof to win but nope..
GM IS WINNING
Still tear *** at the hole deal we Suckers Got

Get notified of new replies

To C7 bent/cracked wheel roll call

Old 09-21-2021, 03:13 PM
51dodgeconv
Heel & Toe

9/20/2021 - 51dodgeconv, 2 bent rear wheels, 2019 GS, 6900 miles
Old 09-22-2021, 08:43 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Absolute stupidity and disgust! My car only has 12000mi and I went to get my tires changed when the mechanic showed my that my right front was way out of spec. The vibration isn't horrible but it is there. The point that you buy a premium sports car and GM elite and you get sold a problematic child that they don't want to deal with...fuckem
Old 09-22-2021, 10:26 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Scudz
Moderator,

Can you correct the title of this thread to read “roll call” rather than “rolll call”?

I just noticed the error.

Thanks!
U must be a english teacher.

Quick Reply: C7 bent/cracked wheel roll call