Sponsored by:

End of my short-lived C7 experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 12:21 PM
UnknownJinX
Instructor

Received 134 Likes on 67 Posts
Default End of my short-lived C7 experience

Hey everyone, hope you are enjoying July 1st or July 4th.

Took me a while to share this, but yeah, I only owned my C7 for about 10 days before a flood came and took it two months ago.

I still remembered the night before it happened, I moved my car above ground, and it was still all dry. A few hours later, water was filling up the parking lot, and the parking lot was leveled in such a way that I couldn't get out without stalling the car and putting myself in danger. By the morning, we were all ordered to evacuate so I had to pack up some essentials and leave my cars behind and hoped for the best.

The flood retreated about 5 days later, but not before submerging the Corvette completely. Car is a total goner, as you can expect. Luckily I had comprehensive, so my loss wasn't huge. Basically lost tax money and the navigation upgrades.

After that, I tried to look for a 15+ C7 Z51 but couldn't find one I like, and I actually quite liked the Camaro SS 1LE I was looking at, so I got the Camaro SS 1LE as the replacement. Pretty happy with it.

The lesson here is that, when faced with a flood like that, ALWAYS find the highest ground nearby. If I drove down a block and parked at a higher parking lot, I would still be driving my C7 today. I hope everyone here and their C7 are doing great, and nothing like this happens to you all. I will be checking in still occasionally.
Attached Images       

Last edited by UnknownJinX; 07-03-2020 at 12:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by UnknownJinX:
Landru (07-04-2020), lavett (07-06-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 12:32 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Man sorry to hear about that. Fort Mac has had its unfair share of natural disasters. Enjoy the new ride.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:59 PM
UnknownJinX
Instructor

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
Man sorry to hear about that. Fort Mac has had its unfair share of natural disasters. Enjoy the new ride.
Alberta in general did. Not too long ago, NE Calgary had a storm which resulted in similar flooding along with massive hails that supposedly totaled a few dealers' inventories. Then again, it's 2020.

And thanks! Enjoying it so far, especially with the nice weather out.
The following users liked this post:
hummiscorvettetaken (07-09-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 02:48 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 477 Likes on 309 Posts

Sorry for your loss. The color on the Camaro is awesome have fun with it
Old 07-03-2020, 02:50 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,438 Posts

So sorry to read this. Glad you got a replacement right away. It looks awesome. What color is that called?
Old 07-03-2020, 02:56 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,978 Likes on 5,700 Posts

Originally Posted by UnknownJinX
Hey everyone, hope you are enjoying July 1st or July 4th.
Took me a while to share this, but yeah, I only owned my C7 for about 10 days before a flood came and took it two months ago.
I still remembered the night before it happened, I moved my car above ground, and it was still all dry. A few hours later, water was filling up the parking lot, and the parking lot was leveled in such a way that I couldn't get out without stalling the car and putting myself in danger. By the morning, we were all ordered to evacuate so I had to pack up some essentials and leave my cars behind and hoped for the best.
The flood retreated about 5 days later, but not before submerging the Corvette completely. Car is a total goner, as you can expect. Luckily I had comprehensive, so my loss wasn't huge. Basically lost tax money and the navigation upgrades.
After that, I tried to look for a 15+ C7 Z51 but couldn't find one I like, and I actually quite liked the Camaro SS 1LE I was looking at, so I got the Camaro SS 1LE as the replacement. Pretty happy with it.
The lesson here is that, when faced with a flood like that, ALWAYS find the highest ground nearby.If I drove down a block and parked at a higher parking lot, I would still be driving my C7 today. I hope everyone here and their C7 are doing great, and nothing like this happens to you all. I will be checking in still occasionally.
That's kind of obvious isn't it.
Sorry for your loss, but seem you are happy with your Camaro so 'all's well, that ends well'.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:03 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,587 Likes on 14,133 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sorry to hear about the loss of your C7. However, the Camaro looks great.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:04 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,783 Likes on 3,046 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Man, That's tough to look at those pics, especially the interior, good luck with your new ride
PWRWAGN (07-10-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 03:19 PM
devnull
Scientific Negotiator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,853 Likes on 1,026 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'10, '14

Wow that stinks man, sorry to hear that!

Ive owned SS 1LE’s, ZL1 1LE’s, and a few C7’s. I can safely say that you will love that SS 1LE! I always called mine the C7 with a Camaro body. GREAT CAR. Enjoy the steering response that is unmatched in the 1LE.

Stay around here, and get over to Camaro6 if you haven’t already. Very similar cars and you’ll learn a ton from both sites.

ceramics will be needed soon to slow the brake dust just like the vette —> https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490810

Old 07-03-2020, 03:22 PM
UnknownJinX
Instructor

Thanks, everyone, for the kind wishes and compliments! As I mentioned, I enjoy the Camaro SS, particularly the 6-speed manual(which I have to say is better than the 7-speed) but I miss the Targa top on the C7.

Originally Posted by Zjoe6
So sorry to read this. Glad you got a replacement right away. It looks awesome. What color is that called?
It's called Shock. I call it "is this yellow or green?" Either way, it's a very lively colour that pops.

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
That's kind of obvious isn't it.
Sorry for your loss, but seem you are happy with your Camaro so 'all's well, that ends well'.
In hindsight, yeah, but the flood this year was considered "once in a hundred years" kind of deal. The last time it got that bad remotely was back in 1977.

Here are some photos and videos of the flooding: https://www.freshdaily.ca/news/2020/...tally-flooded/

Many stores are still under repairs, and I actually had to move because my current apartment doesn't have any power, and likely won't for a long while. The power panel was obviously damaged beyond repair, and it turns out the said power panel comes from the US and the factory was under a quarantine order.

Honestly, I still consider myself lucky since some homeowners lost their homes and unlike auto insurance(which has a blanket term for flooding), you have to get overland flooding coverage to be able to claim anything. Some homeowners dropped it last year and so they are really in for a tough one.

Originally Posted by devnull
Wow that stinks man, sorry to hear that!

Ive owned SS 1LE’s, ZL1 1LE’s, and a few C7’s. I can safely say that you will love that SS 1LE! I always called mine the C7 with a Camaro body. GREAT CAR. Enjoy the steering response that is unmatched in the 1LE.

Stay around here, and get over to Camaro6 if you haven’t already. Very similar cars and you’ll learn a ton from both sites.

ceramics will be needed soon to slow the brake dust just like the vette —> https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490810

I was cross-shopping the SS 1LE and C7 Z51 initially. It was a tough decision but my desire for a Corvette at the time just won out. That said, I still like the Camaro a lot and hence why I decided to text back to the dealer that was selling it. It was an interesting way to start the conversation back up after I told them I wasn't interested, LOL.

And yeah, can't wait to bring the SS 1LE to an AutoX course as they open back up.

I actually signed up for Camaro6 about the same time I signed up here. Just didn't use the account until I bought my Camaro. Lots to learn for sure, I am already doing some DIY fluid changes.

For me, the bigger concern is the rock chips from the wider tires and wheels of the SS 1LE. Got some splash guards and PPF and that has helped marginally.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-03-2020 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-Please use the Multi-Quote button to bundle responses in one reply!
The following 2 users liked this post by UnknownJinX:
devnull (07-03-2020), Kevin A Jones (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 03:32 PM
ChiefBoats

Location: NNCC No Name Car Crew Owned 1 C2, 2 C3's, 1 C4, 3 C5's, 1 C6, 2 C7's Now '81, '86, '03.
Received 3,950 Likes on 1,625 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C3 of the Year Wnner - Unmodified
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

That is a shame. Insurance company letting you keep it? Some of the stuff you can part out, panels, hood, windows, hard line items that can be cleaned, etc.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:36 PM
MDmotorman
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

That’s crazy. Sorry for your loss!
Old 07-03-2020, 03:56 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Zjoe6
its called yellow !!
Old 07-03-2020, 04:10 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Genuinely sorry and glad you were able to walk away with relatively minor financial losses (even a nice steering wheel). This is where the shady side of these natural disasters turn into deceptive business disasters when flood cars are bought for next to nothing, fake VINs are added and some poor buyer believes they've stumbled onto a bargain. And when it's electrical, hoo boy is any potential buyer in for it when they drive away in their shiny new car and soon the dash lights up like a Christmas tree.
Enjoy the Camaro .
Old 07-03-2020, 04:24 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,978 Likes on 5,700 Posts

Originally Posted by GARYFINN
its called yellow !!
Looks as much lime green as yellow to me.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:28 PM
UnknownJinX
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChiefBoats
That is a shame. Insurance company letting you keep it? Some of the stuff you can part out, panels, hood, windows, hard line items that can be cleaned, etc.
I didn't ask, but I wouldn't have had a place to store the car while I part out everything.

I only saved the two cargo drapes/covers in the trunk. Cleaned up pretty nicely.

Originally Posted by GARYFINN
its called yellow !!
No, it's green.

This will be the next "white and gold dress".

Originally Posted by dbirdhouse1
Genuinely sorry and glad you were able to walk away with relatively minor financial losses (even a nice steering wheel). This is where the shady side of these natural disasters turn into deceptive business disasters when flood cars are bought for next to nothing, fake VINs are added and some poor buyer believes they've stumbled onto a bargain. And when it's electrical, hoo boy is any potential buyer in for it when they drive away in their shiny new car and soon the dash lights up like a Christmas tree.
Enjoy the Camaro .
I actually asked about what will happen to the car. They informed me that the car is damaged to the point that no one should be attempting to repair it. It will be towed away and be sold for parts at a junkyard.

I can't imagine the electrical work that's involved in reviving a car like this.

But in case someone stumbles across it, I will put the VIN up for reference. It's 1G1YJ2D70F5109341. If anyone stumbles across it, realize that it's a flood car that's been submerged to the roof.
Walt White Coupe (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 04:59 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,783 Likes on 4,198 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Ouch....hurts to look at.

Get notified of new replies

To End of my short-lived C7 experience

Old 07-03-2020, 05:53 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,939 Likes on 4,817 Posts

Sorry about the loss of your C7 enjoy your Camaro.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:14 PM
lostsoul
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 944 Likes on 558 Posts

Ouch. My heart hurts as a fellow yellow brother. Our cars are almost the same. I went to Abel gm to get some fluids changed and they had a Camaro just like that and color. I didn't like the tail lights much but everything else including those rims were awesome.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:40 PM
Jason71
Burning Brakes

Received 802 Likes on 402 Posts

Man, your post just made my heart sink. I also live in an area that has a tendency to flood. A couple years ago, I was very close to losing a vehicle to a flood (it wasn’t my C7). I parked in a different place than usual, and the lot I usually park in flooded. I’m so sorry for your loss.

Love the Camaro, but I sure would miss having a Corvette 👍

Quick Reply: End of my short-lived C7 experience