Sponsored by:

Shutter in A 8 trans

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 04:26 PM
JK 23112
Drifting

Received 967 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by Coach32
The only thing I have noticed with my 2019 Stingray A8 is a hard shift from 1st to 2nd when cold....however...yesterday we took the car on a short road trip. By the time we got back home our car was shifting so much better than it did when we left. Actually running smoother bring us to the conclusion it hasn’t been driven enough or too many short trips around town. These cars need to be driven.

When we take either of our Corvettes out for a drive, our rule of thumb is to go at least 20 miles on the highway. Mostly steady cruising with two or three "short bursts" of acceleration. Get the oil pumping and the coolant circulating. These cars definitely need to be enjoyed. Little bits of stop and go driving just don't do these car justice and aren't good for them.
The following 2 users liked this post by JK 23112:
Coach32 (08-09-2020), yellow2007 (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 04:35 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
And no one finds trouble with this statement that GM has issued about being Hydroscopic .... LOL LOL

No other transmission made using the same formulation for years has ever had trouble with being the fluid being " HYDROSCOPIC" in nature but now all of a sudden the A8 has an issue with it ... its GM " BULLS&^%$$T .... lol lol

The reason why your 1st 3 gears shift better is because most of the great dealers are doing the ERASE SHIFT ADAPTS and the GARAGE RELEARN procedure along with the TCM firmware update which is all in other TSB;s that address the clunky shifting and engagement issues because of the adaptive learning nature of the TCM controller

Dave
It's not clear to me whether you doubt this is what GM said or not. It's a statement from their engineers and not from someone in management. I can dig out the reference if necessary. Are you an engineer?
Old 08-09-2020, 04:41 PM
yellow2007
Melting Slicks

Received 1,100 Likes on 646 Posts

Because I told you before , i don't think you have transmission shudder ... if you remember , when you manually shifted that did not stop it either, you had the flush done more than once , you added friction modifier , now a torque converter something else is causing what you are feeling , could be the TCM lockup software which there is an update , could be the torques tube ... anything that rotates

Dave
Dave,
The range device was positioned as not only a way to disable the AFM, but also to stop the shudder. If it hadn't been I never would have bought one. My urrent issue, a delayed engagement when putting the car in gear after sitting overnight has not only been diagnosed by the dealer but also has a separate TSB 16-NA-014 I just hope that after this repair the car is back to being enjoyable.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:43 PM
MMD
Safety Car

And no one finds trouble with this statement that GM has issued about being Hydroscopic .... LOL LOL

No other transmission made using the same formulation for years has ever had trouble with being the fluid being " HYDROSCOPIC" in nature but now all of a sudden the A8 has an issue with it ... its GM " BULLS&^%$$T .... lol lol

Dave
Do you enjoy crow?

Reference: https://gm-techlink.com/?p=11127

Old 08-09-2020, 06:03 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
It's not clear to me whether you doubt this is what GM said or not.
My read of @Dcasole post is he finds GM's statement the problem is hydroscoic fluid is ludicrous; an attempted excuse, not a valid explanation.

If I a wrong in my interpretation I welcome his correction.
The following users liked this post:
Dcasole (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 06:43 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Elk
My read of @Dcasole post is he finds GM's statement the problem is hydroscoic fluid is ludicrous; an attempted excuse, not a valid explanation.

I find that explanation deeply flawed and explaining this away as "BS does not move the needle forward in understanding the engineering change(s) GM has implemented to address this issue of shudder. Ultimately GM has, and will continue, to pick up the cost to implement this change procedure. It's in their best financial interest to get it right. The new Mobil oil fluid now recommended did not exist prior to the implementation of the new TSB. It is reasonable to assume this new oil exceeds specs which make it superior to the previously used oil. Dave has not addressed the new oil with any specificity to rule this possiblity out.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:10 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,281 Likes on 1,658 Posts

Originally Posted by Elk

@MMD " Eat Crow " really do u feel better now , I can do an internet search and I have read all the papers and no I am not an engineer but I have spent over 40 years in the automotive industry with a lot of friends in high places in the design and manufacturing for what it for what its worth , I personally don't care If you want to drink the coolaid ,

Go ahead please do, then let's talk to all the folks that the triple flush with the NEW Non Hydroscopic Replacement fluid has done nothing for them .... its working out well for them right lol

The programing that GM used to engage the lock up converter ( its a pulsing not a total lockup ) along with the AFM in 4 cylinder mode and the accompanying out of balance vibration is the real problem ..

Just ask those of us that have tuned it out and changed the TCM parameters But still are running that nasty hydroscopic fluid

Lock up converters have been around a long time and work well . And this issue of fluid being hydroscopic has never been a problem with past automatic designs that use a lockup converter but all of a sudden NOW it is ...

And how come it only affects a small percentage of A8 transmissions when compared to the whole population
Should not all be affected???

Cylinder shutdown (AFM ) has been such a success for GM in the past do a search on 1980's and 90 Cadillac with their 4 6 8 cylinder deactivation, you will see the same complaints lol lol lol I have some prime land in FL I would like to sell you

Thanks for showing me the white paper, it was a good read
@Elk
Yes ELK 👍 it took 4 years for GM to come up with a "FIX , and that FIX was something as simple as changing the fluid ... that's amazing right . In the mean time they were throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the problem , replacing TC , valve bodies , fly wheels , and what ever else they could throw at it including buy back cars . when all that was needed was a simple fluid exchange .... right lol

I am confident that I am not the only one running around with my orginal OEM fluid ... i guess I will get it changed now that i hit 46,000 👍

If we all believe GM and their engineers then there really is not a problem with ZO6 and GS wheels cracking right

Dave
Old 08-09-2020, 07:53 PM
MMD
Safety Car

There is no doubt the A8 fluid swap TSB is beneficial to many A8 owners. Who are we to deny this? While it is no guarantee to fix problems that are unrelated to the shudder issue it could possibly help many who do have a shudder issue. To say otherwise is a disservice to many owners that could see improvement to their shudder. Seems reasonable to assume that the new fluid is a technically superior fluid or Mobil and GM would not have made the investment in developing this new synthetic fluid. From my personal experience this fluid helped with my low gear shifting. There was no reflashing of any PROMs necessary. The article seems to suggest there is an automatic relearn of the TCM when this fluid is swapped.

Reference: https://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/08...sion-problems/

Last edited by MMD; 08-09-2020 at 08:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Shutter in A 8 trans