Sponsored by:

Paint Success Story

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 04:46 PM
arturobandini
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Paint Success Story

Before the week was up after I received my 2019 3LT C7 I noticed a slight but noticeable rippling in the passenger side rear quarter panel. The service manager at the dealer, Capital Chevrolet in San Jose, cautioned me against getting it fixed as I might notice a mismatch in the paint. So I decided against getting it fixed. Fast forward three years later and I decided to do something about it before the warranty expires next month. Lo and behold, the body shop the dealer (not the selling dealer) sent me to called it an easy fix. The rippling apparently is in the clear coat, not the panel, and it can be fixed without touching the paint underneath. I should have listened to my gut at the very beginning.
The following users liked this post:
Art17 (05-04-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 05:45 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,978 Likes on 5,700 Posts

Originally Posted by arturobandini
Before the week was up after I received my 2019 3LT C7 I noticed a slight but noticeable rippling in the passenger side rear quarter panel. The service manager at the dealer, Capital Chevrolet in San Jose, cautioned me against getting it fixed as I might notice a mismatch in the paint. So I decided against getting it fixed. Fast forward three years later and I decided to do something about it before the warranty expires next month. Lo and behold, the body shop the dealer (not the selling dealer) sent me to called it an easy fix. The rippling apparently is in the clear coat, not the panel, and it can be fixed without touching the paint underneath. I should have listened to my gut at the very beginning.
Always great to hear a paint success story as they seem to be far a few between these days. So much so that owners are often very hesitant of getting paint work done to their C7s.

But it's all about the skill of your of your painter. For example, I had a rust spot on the door of my '96 Tacoma for years (drain hole was stopped up so rusted a small spot from inside out) and I finally decide to get it fixed two weeks ago and didn't really expect my painter to match the existing 25 year old paint, but as you can see he did an amazing job of painting my entire door and blending it in.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but just wanted to point out along with you that there are still some very GOOD painters and body techs out there.

Art17 (05-04-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 06:12 PM
SmittyC7
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Glad to hear it worked out so well. They really are much better at matching paint and blending now. In the end the base coat/clear coat seems to work out really well. Enjoy your car.
Art17 (05-04-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 10:31 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,587 Likes on 14,133 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

A good painter can do wonders when it comes to matching paint.

Kevin - looks like your painter did a great job on your truck.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:10 AM
Vette Jockey
Roadster Madness. 😠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,535 Likes on 874 Posts
SoCal Regional Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '13, '20-'21

Some painters are hacks and some are extremely talented artists! I had a car in the 90's that was hit seven times while it was Parked. My painter was an artist. After, he was done, you could not tell it had ever been hit.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:34 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,135 Likes on 1,831 Posts

A good friend owns a Body Shop.Visit him often.There is so much a real good one does or can do.Just repairing the doors today is a nightmare.With all the various plastic clips ,snaps.He figures it out.All manufactures.
Then the dreaded orange peel.That was obviously the OP'S issue.The clear coat never dried,Flat it is called.Real painters have to make orange peel to match a particular adjoining panel.The correct amount of Metallic is also crucial.

Last edited by DALE#3; 05-04-2021 at 04:36 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint Success Story

Quick Reply: Paint Success Story