Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First vet! Opinions ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 10:29 AM
The Rainman
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Get whatever makes you happy. Set behind the wheel and drive it for a bit If it thrills you - then get it. If it feels lackluster, then wait and find a Z06. In my own situation, I figured out what my budget was and then got the most car that would fit within my budget. Eventually, I'd like to move up to a Z06, but for now, I'm very content with my Stingray. It's fast, looks great and really gets the blood pumping.

I don't think any of us can tell you what the "right" move is here. That's entirely up to you. My best advice is to not pour a TON of money into accessories as that can get very expensive very quickly and you rarely get your money back on the extras.
The following users liked this post:
Veloc1ty (04-26-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 01:10 PM
joghotrod
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 123 Posts

Default The Right Color

Originally Posted by Veloc1ty
Hello everyone! I just wanted to get some feedback and opinions from the community on my recent purchase.

I ordered a 2014 c7 z51 3lt from Carvana. One owner no accidents, only 5900 miles. The car looks beautiful. It wasnt the perfect fit but it came very close. It's velocity yellow, the color I wanted. I just wanted it to have the yellow calipers instead of red and a black spoiler instead of yellow. Easy things to fix.

So im still waiting to take delivery of the car but the bit dilemma I'm running into is I keep thinking should I get the z06 ?

This is going to be my first "high" hp car. I really would like the z06 but I think it would be better to get used to driving a slow car fast then driving a fast car fast and not having an idea how to control the power.

The c7 Z51 is well within my budget, but the z06 could be as well. At the moment the z06 would be a bit expensive but i could sell my truck. I work at a chevy dealership and i get a demo(which is a truck) so I really wouldn't be out of a truck.

I test drove a c7 m7 that we had in stock at work and smiled the whole time. I didn't get to drive it as much as I would have wanted but the car felt like a blast and I really enjoyed being able to go through the gears and pick up the speed.

My brain tells me to stick with the z51 pay it down very quickly and then when the market cools down try to find the perfect z06. Im really hooked on the velocity yellow and all the z06s in my area that color are a bit above my budget. I could afford it but I just feel like I should wait.

What do you guys think ?
I bought my yellow Vette from Carvana and so far so good!

For you guys buying from Carvana, if you get a referral you will get a 500 dollar discount. And whoever referred you will ge 100 dollars.

PM me if you need a referral.

Jimmy
Old 04-26-2022, 01:12 PM
Veloc1ty
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by joghotrod
I bought my yellow Vette from Carvana and so far so good!

For you guys buying from Carvana, if you get a referral you will get a 500 dollar discount. And whoever referred you will ge 100 dollars.

PM me if you need a referral.

Jimmy
I'm hooked hooked velocity yellow. We had one in our showroom on a z06 and thats literally what started this journey of me getting a corvette lol.
Old 04-26-2022, 02:08 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,739 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Originally Posted by 449er
Better to have it & not need it than to need it & not have it
BRAGGING RIGHTS for me!
Old 04-26-2022, 02:26 PM
Juju2002
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 309 Likes on 132 Posts

I'm hooked hooked velocity yellow. We had one in our showroom on a z06 and thats literally what started this journey of me getting a corvette lol.
There is one huge problem in your plan , the Z51 will depreciate more then the Z06 you want , and thats IF the car market goes down , which i promise you it won’t I would say , save up another couple thousand, sell the truck and get the Z06 you want. There is no point in wasting money on the Z51 if thats not exactly what you want. Its exactly why I didn’t get a C6 or any of the other cars I considered all in the name of “saving money”
Old 04-26-2022, 02:39 PM
jaiyenyen
Pro

Received 413 Likes on 232 Posts

The Zo6 owners will say it is the only way to go and the same for the Gs and Z51 owners generally speaking. Irrelevant opinions. You need to put some seat time in these cars than make YOUR decision. From the base Stingray to the Zr1 they are all different to drive. I could afford any car I wanted and bought the Grand sport. The Zo6 and the Stingray did not do it for me. Never drove a Zr1 but I really don't care for the looks of it. I really like a naturally aspirated engine and the ride and handling of the Grand sport and balanced engine power allows you to use it more than the Zo6, on the street anyway. Racing is a different story if that is what you want to do. Nobody can tell you what you want, you have to do the research yourself, you may surprise yourself at what you learn. There are many very happy people driving the Sting Ray which is an amazing car itself with it's own advantages over the others.
Old 04-26-2022, 02:47 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,009 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er
Better to have it & not need it than to need it & not have it
Exactly!

The OP is already skeptical of the base C7s.

He's young and knows what he wants.

He'd outgrow the 455/460hp C7 bases in a minute.👍
Old 04-26-2022, 02:52 PM
Veloc1ty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Exactly!

Haha very true.

The big problem really comes down to the money.

I can probably pay off 50k of it by the end of the year and refinance into a comfortable payment.

a huge problem is you cant really just go and test drive these things for the most part. Not a lot of them in my area.

I did test drive the c7 z51 and loved every second of it.

The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (04-26-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 03:04 PM
jaiyenyen
Pro

Received 413 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Exactly!

Some people have outgrown the ZO6 and gone to the Gs and Stingray so that argument is meaningless. He still needs to try them out for himself.
Old 04-26-2022, 03:04 PM
Juju2002
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 309 Likes on 132 Posts

Haha very true.

The big problem really comes down to the money.

I can probably pay off 50k of it by the end of the year and refinance into a comfortable payment.

a huge problem is you cant really just go and test drive these things for the most part. Not a lot of them in my area.

I did test drive the c7 z51 and loved every second of it.
Money comes and goes , the memories you make is whats really important. I love my stingray , i am slowly building it to become faster then a Z06, thats the route i wanted to go. My heart was content with what i got . It sounds like it wouldn’t be if you got the Z51.
Old 04-26-2022, 03:56 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,519 Likes on 1,899 Posts

Originally Posted by Juju2002
There is one huge problem in your plan , the Z51 will depreciate more then the Z06 you want , and thats IF the car market goes down , which i promise you it won’t I would say , save up another couple thousand, sell the truck and get the Z06 you want. There is no point in wasting money on the Z51 if thats not exactly what you want. Its exactly why I didn’t get a C6 or any of the other cars I considered all in the name of “saving money”
Great point, even more impressive, coming from a young man. This is true OP. Let's say the Fed rate hikes and tightening finally break the back of these insane used car prices. Get stuck holding the bag on a car you didn't exactly want to begin with and were planning on using as a stepping stone anyway? I don't want anything other than my Z06. So whether it's worth $40k or $100k tomorrow, it's absolutely irrelevant to me. But it's certainly very relevant if I'm planning on selling it.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:00 PM
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello everyone! I just wanted to get some feedback and opinions from the community on my recent purchase.

I ordered a 2014 c7 z51 3lt from Carvana. One owner no accidents, only 5900 miles. The car looks beautiful. It wasnt the perfect fit but it came very close. It's velocity yellow, the color I wanted. I just wanted it to have the yellow calipers instead of red and a black spoiler instead of yellow. Easy things to fix.

So im still waiting to take delivery of the car but the bit dilemma I'm running into is I keep thinking should I get the z06 ?

This is going to be my first "high" hp car. I really would like the z06 but I think it would be better to get used to driving a slow car fast then driving a fast car fast and not having an idea how to control the power.

The c7 Z51 is well within my budget, but the z06 could be as well. At the moment the z06 would be a bit expensive but i could sell my truck. I work at a chevy dealership and i get a demo(which is a truck) so I really wouldn't be out of a truck.

I test drove a c7 m7 that we had in stock at work and smiled the whole time. I didn't get to drive it as much as I would have wanted but the car felt like a blast and I really enjoyed being able to go through the gears and pick up the speed.

My brain tells me to stick with the z51 pay it down very quickly and then when the market cools down try to find the perfect z06. Im really hooked on the velocity yellow and all the z06s in my area that color are a bit above my budget. I could afford it but I just feel like I should wait.

What do you guys think ?
I bought a new 2019 Velocity Yellow Grand Sport December, 2019. It has an automatic, transparent roof, navigation, chrome rims with 2LT package. I have over 12,000 miles on it. This is my 3rd Corvette having previously a C5 and C6. It is very sharp looking and a pleasure to drive. I went with the black brake calipers. The yellow ones clash with the velocity yellow car and are not the same color. I did add the blacked out rear light covers to match the bottom half of rear bumper and duck tail. Enjoy your new Corvette
The following 2 users liked this post by 7007:
Catfish4818 (04-26-2022), Veloc1ty (04-26-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 04:03 PM
97titan
Pro

Received 309 Likes on 89 Posts

My 2 cents.

I've owned 3 now, the first two were Auto's.
The C5 coupe was fun...
The C6 Grand Sport had the look of the Z (wide body) and paddle shifters and it was more fun..
The C7 Z06 Manual just makes me SMILE!!!!!!!!!!!! Do I need all that power = no. Can I use on the street = no...does it feel good when I down shift and feel that raw power waiting YES.

That said, only you can answer the real question.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:19 PM
Veloc1ty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LT4CMG
Great point, even more impressive, coming from a young man. This is true OP. Let's say the Fed rate hikes and tightening finally break the back of these insane used car prices. Get stuck holding the bag on a car you didn't exactly want to begin with and were planning on using as a stepping stone anyway? I don't want anything other than my Z06. So whether it's worth $40k or $100k tomorrow, it's absolutely irrelevant to me. But it's certainly very relevant if I'm planning on selling it.

The rates really aren't going to touch the car market unless they become stupidly high.

I do sell cars as my primary job. Mortgage rates are going up and the car rates have risen but people keep buying.

As companies like carvana, carmax etc start to grow these prices are gonna rise. Right now they are kind of the market setters because their aren't millions of new vehicles on the lots.

The market will eventually go down but the prices on new are going way up.

All the manufactuers saw car dealers marking up cars 10k and people paying it like it was nothing.

So new prices have been set.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:27 PM
Veloc1ty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 97titan
My 2 cents.

I've owned 3 now, the first two were Auto's.
The C5 coupe was fun...
The C6 Grand Sport had the look of the Z (wide body) and paddle shifters and it was more fun..
The C7 Z06 Manual just makes me SMILE!!!!!!!!!!!! Do I need all that power = no. Can I use on the street = no...does it feel good when I down shift and feel that raw power waiting YES.

That said, only you can answer the real question.

im really just leaning torwards the z06. After this thread.

I know I'll be happy with the z51 but I really do think im going to regret not getting the z06.

It's just really hard to find one in that low 70ish budget range.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:55 PM
vortech347
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 190 Likes on 133 Posts

im really just leaning torwards the z06. After this thread.

I know I'll be happy with the z51 but I really do think im going to regret not getting the z06.

It's just really hard to find one in that low 70ish budget range.
I bought my 16 Z51 last October. Had I to do it all over again I would have found a Grand Sport. I couldn't afford a Z06 in the same condition as my Z51 (ie. like new and loaded).

Now I can make my Z51 just as fast power wise for less than the difference in price. But, I can't make it stop and handle as well because I can't go as wide on the wheel/tire combo. But, I really like my Z51 so it's not really a regret as much as a would do it different if given the info I have now.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:57 PM
Veloc1ty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vortech347
I bought my 16 Z51 last October. Had I to do it all over again I would have found a Grand Sport. I couldn't afford a Z06 in the same condition as my Z51 (ie. like new and loaded).

Now I can make my Z51 just as fast power wise for less than the difference in price. But, I can't make it stop and handle as well because I can't go as wide on the wheel/tire combo. But, I really like my Z51 so it's not really a regret as much as a would do it different if given the info I have now.
I was also thinking about going the grandsport route and doing a supercharger but I am not car savvy at all. I'm not a mechanic.

I wouldn't even mind paying for it to be done, the problem is what happens if the shop messes it up or it breaks who can fix it etc.

does stuff like that have a warranty?

Then how much of a hit does the resale value take.

Get notified of new replies

To First vet! Opinions ?

Old 04-26-2022, 05:29 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Buy a Z06 if you can. As far as "controlling the power? Just don't put the gas pedal down to the floor at first. Get used to it. You can drive a Z06 slow or fast depending on what you want. The accelerator isn't an off and on mechanism. All that said either car is fine. But if you are a power nut you'll possibly regret not going straight to the Z06. I know I did. You'll get used to that power in no time. Believe me!
Old 04-26-2022, 05:31 PM
Veloc1ty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by joemessman
Buy a Z06 if you can. As far as "controlling the power? Just don't put the gas pedal down to the floor at first. Get used to it. You can drive a Z06 slow or fast depending on what you want. The accelerator isn't an off and on mechanism. All that said either car is fine. But if you are a power nut you'll possibly regret not going straight to the Z06. I know I did. You'll get used to that power in no time. Believe me!

I understand there is a gas pedal, the thing im scared of is hitting it a bit to hard at the wrong moment and not being able to recover.

I'm probably over thinking this and i just need to buy one and take the baby steps
Old 04-26-2022, 05:34 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,063 Posts

I understand there is a gas pedal, the thing im scared of is hitting it a bit to hard at the wrong moment and not being able to recover.

I'm probably over thinking this and i just need to buy one and take the baby steps
I understand that. Just be careful at first. Feather down on the gas pedal like there is a raw egg under it and you don't want to break it.

Quick Reply: First vet! Opinions ?