Sponsored by:

Satisfied with Wireless CarPlay Adapter recommend by the forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 10:57 PM
Coridy
Cruising

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Satisfied with Wireless CarPlay Adapter recommend by the forum

I found someone recommending this adapter on the forum, and it happened that I also wanted to upgrade the wireless carplay. Honestly, I was very skeptical about how well it would work. So I got the CarPlay Adapter ($89 on carlinkitlife) to enable wireless CarPlay in my car.
It has worked excellently, it's fast to boot up, and I haven't had any failure or glitches yet. By the time I've backed out of my parking spot and started to pull forward, it boots carplay automatically. It connects immediately when I get in the car and shuts off automatically after I get out. I will likely continue using this until Corvette enables native wireless CarPlay.
Pros:
Fast bootup ~10 - 30secs
Automatically connects to your phone
No glitches in audio on high quality
Easy to change settings
Works just like it should
PHONE CHARGING IS ACTUALLY USEFUL NOW
Cons:
Slow to disconnect when leaving car (seems to be due to the car)
Flashing green light when connected

Mounting:
I installed it between the two USB ports using a hanging strip (sort of like velcro but better). The adapter is nice and quite small, and the provided short usb cable works well for this location, though an even shorter cable might be better. The cable is long enough for the box to sit in the center console. However in this location the light on the unit is a bit annoying. The red when disconnected isn't bad but the flashing green light is distracting, especially at night. You could mount it reversed from how I did it, or put a bit of electrical tape over the light.

Connection:
Connection to the phone works automatically, as long as your Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are enabled. Connection is initiated via Bluetooth and then Wi-Fi details are shared to make the full data connection.
You can set up multiple phones and the device will have them listed in a simple interface when it boots up. This interface can be disabled in the device settings and it will just show a black screen while it auto connects. Auto connection can also be turned off.

Performance:
I've only ever used wired CarPlay in the past so I can only compare to that - I'm not sure how much of what I describe here also applies to native wireless CarPlay. Input lag is slight, but manageable. Pressing buttons is responsive enough but when swiping on the Home Screen or panning the map the screen lags behind the finger a bit. I find this to be a reasonable compromise to be able to use CarPlay wirelessly.
There is audio lag, about 1-2 sec, but that's totally fine for me. This seems to be so that the car can hold a buffer of audio so you don't get glitches. You can adjust it in the device's settings.

Bootup:
The light on the unit comes on, about 12 seconds
About 8 seconds later the head unit on the car says “Usb Connected”
About 10 seconds later music is playing
This adds up to a total bootup time of about 30 secs which I've found to be plenty fast enough in real life usage (it feels slower when you're timing it).

Shutdown:
It takes just over 3 minutes from when you open the car to when the device powers off and your phone reconnects to home Wi-Fi. This seems to be a limitation of the car cutting power to the socket. At about the 3 minute mark you get the notification that you left doors unlocked, then it cuts power to the CarPlay USB port. I've found that walking into my house can be far enough to break the connection (I park right outside my door) otherwise you can hit the Wi-Fi switch in control center and disconnect manually. I personally don't find this to be a huge deal.

Conclusion:
Overall I find this Wireless CarPlay adapter to be amazing and well worth the money to be able to use the phone charging or leave your phone in your pocket. There are minor compromises but none of them are deal breakers for me. And the carlinkitlife website's after-service is nice. If you encounter problems in use, they will give you a corresponding solution, and they reply very fast. They gave me a 15% discount and I only paid less than $90. The price is reasonable. I'm satisfied with this purchase now.
This can also be connected to android auto, but I don't have an android phone.
The following 4 users liked this post by Coridy:
Andried (10-06-2022), Becus (10-10-2022), brucecolin (10-04-2022), Carlinkit (01-22-2023)
Old 09-25-2022, 12:06 AM
Zaridef
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow~ Sounds great! How about a link? I'm interested and want to try it. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2022, 12:21 AM
Coridy
Cruising

Originally Posted by Zaridef
Wow~ Sounds great! How about a link? I'm interested and want to try it. Thanks.
Ok, no problem. The link is as follows:
https://carlinkitlife.com/products/c...e-with-98-cars
By the way, I used the discount code "SAVE15" to get 15% off, you can also try it.
Overall, this adapter is worthy and the performance is still OK. Although there are a few minor issues, it does not affect normal use. I can accept. See if you can accept it. Good luck to you!

Last edited by Coridy; 01-20-2023 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Non sponsor link
Old 09-26-2022, 06:08 PM
BluRace
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts

i installed this more than a year ago

https://cplay2air.com/products/cplay...r-link-feature

it sits plugged in to USB port behind infotainment screen 24/7

everytime i start the vehicle,
the mePhone connects within a few seconds with me not touching anything
Old 09-26-2022, 10:57 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,879 Likes on 14,335 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sounds like a very good product. Too bad it appears it will not work on my car.
Old 09-27-2022, 12:10 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 909 Likes on 623 Posts

Nice review . I have the Cplay2air device that is also mentioned in a above post. For me it works great ! Love the fact I just leave iPhone in pocket or case and it connects. I liked so well I bought another for my GMC Sierra.

Last edited by Borntorun04/17; 09-27-2022 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-27-2022, 12:14 PM
JasonVette
Drifting

Received 1,211 Likes on 596 Posts

Just how big is the device? Does it work on the USB behind the screen? I'd like to place it in there, but half of that space is occupied by my ngauge and meth controller. If possible I'd want it on the half that isn't occupied.
Old 09-27-2022, 12:27 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 909 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonVette
Just how big is the device? Does it work on the USB behind the screen? I'd like to place it in there, but half of that space is occupied by my ngauge and meth controller. If possible I'd want it on the half that isn't occupied.
My Cplay2air device is 3 1/2 inches long 1 1/2 wide with a cord that attaches for usb that’s about 3 1/2 inches long. My device is plugged in to usb plug behind info screen and connects with no problems on my 17 GS. Also for those who my also have a GMC Sierra my second Cplay2air device is connected to the usb plug in center console and also connects with no problems.

I believe this device only works with a iPhone! So check out further if you have a android phone .

I have no measurements for the Carlinkit device.

Last edited by Borntorun04/17; 09-27-2022 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-27-2022, 09:24 PM
NBPIH45
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BluRace

I ordered cplay2air, package was lost, and only 2 months later an after more then 40 e-mails complaining I finally got a refund. Very poor costumer service. If you go to their website they only post the good reviews. You don't find any bellow 4 stars, (which is not true. Because I wrote myself a 1 star review): They also delete bad comments form their Facebook webpage. Stay away from them!
Old 09-29-2022, 11:06 AM
Zaridef
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coridy
Ok, no problem. The link is as follows:
https://.com/products/carlinkit-4-0-...e-with-98-cars
By the way, I used the discount code "SAVE15" to get 15% off, you can also try it.
Overall, this adapter is worthy and the performance is still OK. Although there are a few minor issues, it does not affect normal use. I can accept. See if you can accept it. Good luck to you!
Thank you. Well after this morning, I just ordered it...
Looking forward to wireless CarPlay. The company responded quickly yesterday confirming that the 4.0 version is suitable for my car.

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 10-09-2022 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-01-2022, 11:17 AM
Coridy
Cruising

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Sounds like a very good product. Too bad it appears it will not work on my car.
Does your car have wired carplay?
Old 10-01-2022, 11:31 AM
Coridy
Cruising

Originally Posted by Borntorun04/17
Nice review . I have the Cplay2air device that is also mentioned in a above post. For me it works great ! Love the fact I just leave iPhone in pocket or case and it connects. I liked so well I bought another for my GMC Sierra.
That is good. Looks like you are lucky. Because my friend said it wasn't as good as advertised, at least he didn't experience it well.
Old 10-01-2022, 11:32 AM
Coridy
Cruising

Originally Posted by BluRace

Really? But the actual experience of my friend is not like that. He has used cplay2air, the connection speed is not as fast as you said, and it takes a long time to wait, about 1-3 minutes. Seriously, it affects the mood. He doesn't recommend this. And the price is too expensive, $119. Really not worth the price.
Old 10-01-2022, 11:41 AM
Coridy
Cruising

Originally Posted by JasonVette
My friend has a CPlay2Air but the work is unstable with his car. Carlinkit adapter is a lot smaller in size in comparison and smaller than I thought it would be so it’ fits nice in the center console tucked out of the way. And it can work on the USB behind the screen. You can try it. I recommend this.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:19 PM
contraflow69
Cruising

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the carplay2air as well. Have had it for about 6 months. I find that it boots up very fast and so far, so good.
I just bought another brand off amazon for my F150 to save a few bucks and it has been horrible.

The carplay2air unit did take longer than I expected to arrive (about 3 weeks after I got a tracking number), but other than that it's been good.
Old 10-02-2022, 10:15 AM
Hagrey
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I also purchased this Carlinkit 4.0 adapter from carlinkit official store. Honestly, it exceeded my expectations! The shipping delivery is really fast. Although the carlinkitlife website states that the delivery is about 1-2 weeks, in fact, it only took 6 days from the time I placed the order to the receipt of the order. This is really awesome!
The setup of adapter is easy, plug and play. Just plugged it in and followed a couple of simple prompts on the screen. I get in the car and turn on the key, and shortly afterwards Apple Play shows up on the screen automatically, no need to take the extra step to plug it in. In the past, I have to take my phone out of my pocket and plug it in every time I get in the car, then take it off and put it back in my pocket every time I get out, it becomes a hassle.
I am very satisfied with this purchase. No affiliate, no ads, I just want to share the joy.

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 10-09-2022 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-02-2022, 12:13 PM
naylor99
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 199 Posts

I have a question about this;

If you are plugging it in to charge anyway, why wireless CarPlay? Mine is plugged in via my ProClip mount & phone holder, and I get CarPlay and charging. What am I missing here?

Get notified of new replies

To Satisfied with Wireless CarPlay Adapter recommend by the forum

Old 10-03-2022, 01:25 AM
brucecolin
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I’m contemplating the wireless CarPlay dongle for quite some time and by now the only thing stopping me is the steep price.
During summer months it really doesn’t bother me to plug the phone. But now with winter upon us also come layers of jackets with the phone zipped in a pocket somewhere, plus gloves and then the convenience of wireless connectivity is really enticing.
I’ll probably give it a shot.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:46 AM
Andried
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found someone recommending this adapter on the forum, and it happened that I also wanted to upgrade the wireless carplay. Honestly, I was very skeptical about how well it would work. So I got the CarPlay Adapter ($89 on carlinkitlife) to enable wireless CarPlay in my car.
It has worked excellently, it's fast to boot up, and I haven't had any failure or glitches yet. By the time I've backed out of my parking spot and started to pull forward, it boots carplay automatically. It connects immediately when I get in the car and shuts off automatically after I get out. I will likely continue using this until Corvette enables native wireless CarPlay.
Pros:
Fast bootup ~10 - 30secs
Automatically connects to your phone
No glitches in audio on high quality
Easy to change settings
Works just like it should
Cons:
Slow to disconnect when leaving car (seems to be due to the car)
Flashing green light when connected

Mounting:
I installed it between the two USB ports using a hanging strip (sort of like velcro but better). The adapter is nice and quite small, and the provided short usb cable works well for this location, though an even shorter cable might be better. The cable is long enough for the box to sit in the center console. However in this location the light on the unit is a bit annoying. The red when disconnected isn't bad but the flashing green light is distracting, especially at night. You could mount it reversed from how I did it, or put a bit of electrical tape over the light.

Connection:
Connection to the phone works automatically, as long as your Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are enabled. Connection is initiated via Bluetooth and then Wi-Fi details are shared to make the full data connection.
You can set up multiple phones and the device will have them listed in a simple interface when it boots up. This interface can be disabled in the device settings and it will just show a black screen while it auto connects. Auto connection can also be turned off.

Performance:
I've only ever used wired CarPlay in the past so I can only compare to that - I'm not sure how much of what I describe here also applies to native wireless CarPlay. Input lag is slight, but manageable. Pressing buttons is responsive enough but when swiping on the Home Screen or panning the map the screen lags behind the finger a bit. I find this to be a reasonable compromise to be able to use CarPlay wirelessly.
There is audio lag, about 1-2 sec, but that's totally fine for me. This seems to be so that the car can hold a buffer of audio so you don't get glitches. You can adjust it in the device's settings.

Bootup:
The light on the unit comes on, about 12 seconds
About 8 seconds later the head unit on the car says “Usb Connected”
About 10 seconds later music is playing
This adds up to a total bootup time of about 30 secs which I've found to be plenty fast enough in real life usage (it feels slower when you're timing it).

Shutdown:
It takes just over 3 minutes from when you open the car to when the device powers off and your phone reconnects to home Wi-Fi. This seems to be a limitation of the car cutting power to the socket. At about the 3 minute mark you get the notification that you left doors unlocked, then it cuts power to the CarPlay USB port. I've found that walking into my house can be far enough to break the connection (I park right outside my door) otherwise you can hit the Wi-Fi switch in control center and disconnect manually. I personally don't find this to be a huge deal.

Conclusion:
Overall I find this Wireless CarPlay adapter to be amazing and well worth the money to be able to use the phone charging or leave your phone in your pocket. There are minor compromises but none of them are deal breakers for me. And the carlinkitlife website's after-service is nice. If you encounter problems in use, they will give you a corresponding solution, and they reply very fast. They gave me a 15% discount and I only paid less than $90. The price is reasonable. I'm satisfied with this purchase now.
This can also be connected to android auto, but I don't have an android phone.
Looks good. Isn't so lucky with the Cplay2air I bought a few months ago, constantly unable to connect to my phone, and google maps didn't work while on the road, which was driving me crazy.
If you don't mind, can you share the link of your purchase?
Old 10-08-2022, 11:16 AM
Koray
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Andried
Looks good. Isn't so lucky with the Cplay2air I bought a few months ago, constantly unable to connect to my phone, and google maps didn't work while on the road, which was driving me crazy.
If you don't mind, can you share the link of your purchase?
Coridy has given the link, maybe you didn't notice. The link is as follows:
https://.com/products/carlinkit-4-0-...e-with-98-cars

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 10-09-2022 at 12:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Satisfied with Wireless CarPlay Adapter recommend by the forum