Sponsored by:

Strong Fuel Vapors in Cabin

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 08:57 AM
stevettec7
Drifting

Received 771 Likes on 406 Posts
Default Strong Fuel Vapors in Cabin

The last couple of times I drove mine, I smelt a faint gas odor inside the car. Suffering from long-Covid, it's hard to pinpoint the source. The other night my wife noticed it when we were driving together. There have been no signs of any fuel on the ground. I do have the special coverage for this known issue. I took it to my dealer on Monday morning. They have not been able to replicate the problem which is no surprise. Nor is the fact that the dealer didn't know anything about that particular TSB until I mentioned it to my advisor. I don't necessarily want them to find something, but I don't want them to miss it either.
The following users liked this post:
Bayshore Vette (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 09:34 AM
etaylor14
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

My 17 Z51 has an extended warranty for 10 yrs. for gas fumes coming from the fuel pump housing. If you start smelling it in your garage that could be the problem.
Old 11-29-2023, 11:57 AM
stevettec7
Drifting

Originally Posted by etaylor14
My 17 Z51 has an extended warranty for 10 yrs. for gas fumes coming from the fuel pump housing. If you start smelling it in your garage that could be the problem.
I too have the “special” warranty through GM for this issue. I’m just losing faith in my service department. My longtime advisor was “relieved of duty” recently. My new advisor hasn’t made a very good impression.
Old 11-29-2023, 12:05 PM
Nosticks
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the exact problem. Chevrolet dealer fixed it, no problem. Only $3500 in round numbers. It's a plastic fuel sensor. Got to drop tank to get to it.
Old 11-29-2023, 12:24 PM
brimee
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

My ‘16 had this issue as well. First noticed gas smell while parked in the garage, then had a hard time filling. My dealer replaced the driver side tank under the GM 10 year extended warranty for this issue. Now no gas smell in the garage and have yet to try the fill as they returned it with a full tank.

It sounds like you need to find a different dealer, I drive by many to get to my preferred dealer service.
Old 11-29-2023, 12:48 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,841 Posts

I too have the extended warranty but no issues. Be sure not to tell the dealer its a TSB. That may have had them being confused if that was said.
Old 11-29-2023, 01:30 PM
SILENT BOB
Burning Brakes

Location: Tank sticker? I ain't got no tank sticker! I don't need no tank sticker! I don't have to show any stinking tank sticker!
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Go to the best Chevrolet where you live. Talk to the service manager and have his service department check the car and get a service receipt that documents the inspection. If they can't determine the source of the fumes, let them know you will be contacting GM (to request a regional service manager inspection) and filling out a NTSB hazard form. That usually gets their attention.

The following 4 users liked this post by SILENT BOB:
Maxpowers (11-29-2023), RonC7 (11-29-2023), stevettec7 (11-29-2023), Vette Jockey (11-30-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 07:20 PM
stevettec7
Drifting

Originally Posted by SILENT BOB
Go to the best Chevrolet where you live. Talk to the service manager and have his service department check the car and get a service receipt that documents the inspection. If they can't determine the source of the fumes, let them know you will be contacting GM (to request a regional service manager inspection) and filling out a NTSB hazard form. That usually gets their attention.
Thanks for the tip. My dealer once was the best in my area, but with their high turnover, they seem to be struggling.
Old 11-29-2023, 08:34 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 909 Likes on 623 Posts

I had the same problem but in my 04 I think it’s the same as your special coverage is for, I’m told the cross over that was used in my 04 is the same used in the C7. It started out with just a fuel smell in cabin with no fuel leaks on ground but a few weeks later drips where showing up on Corvettes underside floor just below fuel door . Luckily by the time the fuel drips showed up I already had appointment for service two days later. No fuel in cabin but on underside of floor. Might verify that same cross over is used like I have been told. Here’s a few pictures !

The part where finger in pointing to is what I was told was bad. I don’t remember what the part name was.

Last edited by Borntorun04/17; 11-29-2023 at 09:03 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Borntorun04/17:
CorvetteMike2024 (11-29-2023), stevettec7 (11-29-2023), Vette Jockey (11-30-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 11:55 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,795 Likes on 14,272 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Fuel smell is nothing to mess with. I would seek out the best dealer you can find within a reasonable distance and have the car checked over again.
Old 11-30-2023, 09:04 AM
SILENT BOB
Burning Brakes

Location: Tank sticker? I ain't got no tank sticker! I don't need no tank sticker! I don't have to show any stinking tank sticker!
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Borntorun04/17
I had the same problem but in my 04 I think it’s the same as your special coverage is for, I’m told the cross over that was used in my 04 is the same used in the C7. It started out with just a fuel smell in cabin with no fuel leaks on ground but a few weeks later drips where showing up on Corvettes underside floor just below fuel door . Luckily by the time the fuel drips showed up I already had appointment for service two days later. No fuel in cabin but on underside of floor. Might verify that same cross over is used like I have been told. Here’s a few pictures !

The part where finger in pointing to is what I was told was bad. I don’t remember what the part name was.
Do you have a pic of the top of the part you are pointing out? If you do, look for a hairline crack across the top. Had the same issue with my car and service tech pointed the crack out to me. He said that any one that qualifies for TSB should demand replacement. It's only a matter of time before the part fails.
Old 12-02-2023, 10:58 AM
DSPC7
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 142 Likes on 65 Posts

Where can I find this TSB? I have a 17 Stingray I recently parked in garage for winter and put on charger. Came into garage this am and strong gas smell in garage. I assume I have this problem as there is no sign of gas on floor under car.
Old 12-02-2023, 11:04 AM
stevettec7
Drifting

Originally Posted by DSPC7
Where can I find this TSB? I have a 17 Stingray I recently parked in garage for winter and put on charger. Came into garage this am and strong gas smell in garage. I assume I have this problem as there is no sign of gas on floor under car.
Technically, it’s not a TSB. If you go to the GM website you can see if you have this special warranty coverage.

The following users liked this post:
Borntorun04/17 (12-02-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 11:27 AM
DSPC7
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks - I decided to uncover the car and fire it up. It idled fine for a bit then stumbled horribly and shutdown. I’m going to pull it out if garage and see if it drives. It’s. Crazy as it was driving perfect everything as normal. I parked it for winter and now this. I have to call dealer Monday.

Originally Posted by stevettec7
Technically, it’s not a TSB. If you go to the GM website you can see if you have this special warranty coverage.

Old 12-02-2023, 12:16 PM
Bob_T
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

The place where the drivers side fuel pump module cracks is below the very top of the fuel tanks - on the "flat" area where the fuel pump module sits. So, you typically only get the really strong fuel smell and sometimes drops on the floor, if the fuel tanks are full. Very similar, or maybe the same, issue that occurred on the later C6 models. GM's initial recommendation for the C6s', when the fuel pumps were on backorder, was to keep the fuel below 1/3 on fuel gauge, so that the cracked area in the primary fuel pump module on the drivers side tank, was not submerged in fuel. Unfortunately for my son, his C6 was just barely outside the "GM special extended coverage" for that known fuel pump module failure and it was $3500 to get it fixed by a local corvette specialty shop. All of the local Chevrolet dealers were quoting just north of $5000 to drop the rear cradle/exhaust/etc to replace this known defect. It is significantly cheaper if you have a manual tranny because a good mechanic can get their hands up in the space to disconnect the cross over tube without disassembling the car, whereas with the auto tranny, there is limited/no space to get your hands up there to disconnect the cross over tube - that is the primary reason they "need" to drop the rear cradle. The Chevrolet dealers just follow their recommended "book" procedures, so they do not charge any different whether you have the manual or auto tranny, except they make a ***load more profit doing a manual tranny car since they really don't completely disassemble the rear of the car, even though you get charged for that disassembly/reassembly, based on our experience with this problem.
Old 12-02-2023, 01:41 PM
14point5
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 97 Posts

17469: Fuel Leaks at the Primary Fuel Pump Module Flange

Old 12-02-2023, 04:21 PM
DSPC7
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks - I took her out for a ride to burn off about 1/8 tank gas as the tank was completely full. Hopefully it will not Leak until I can take it in.

Get notified of new replies

To Strong Fuel Vapors in Cabin

Old 12-02-2023, 09:01 PM
Bob_T
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

If it is the "cracked fuel pump flange", you will need to burn off a lot more fuel to get the fuel level below the crack. You need to be more in the 2/3 to 3/4 empty range on the fuel gauge to get below that threshold based on how their 2 tank system works. The right tank gets completely emptied before the left tank starts to empty, as the fuel is transferred from the right tank to the left tank, until the right is empty - they both do not drop equally, together. It is absolutely amazing that GM would still have this problem on the C7s' at all after the bad karma it caused with the C6 models. Looking at the document cited above, it looks to be one of the same places that the C6 cracks regularly appeared. There were several places on the C6 left side fuel pump that cracked, this location is just one of them. In that document they say they "expect less than 5% will have this problem". What they really are counting on is that less than 5% will discover/encounter this problem within GM's extended service period while the other 95% who encounter/discover this problem will be outside that extended service period, so GM won't have to pay, just like the many C6 owners are still experiencing. Not saying 95% of the cars will have this problem, just the timing for those that are unlucky enough to encounter this problem. Disappointing, at best.

Last edited by Bob_T; 12-02-2023 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-02-2023, 10:57 PM
DSPC7
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thx - I’ll be burning off some more fuel when the weather clears up a bit - 40s and 50s and rain tomorrow. I looked on the GM site to see if “my VIN” was affected but never got a letter and nothing on the site for my car. I’m pretty confident I have the cracked flange problem. I have extended warranty so I should be covered hopefully. Not sure if I should bring to dealer now or wait till spring. If I drop the fuel level more and don’t smell gas I would think I’m fine. I am going to call dealer Monday either way.

Thanks all for your input!

Originally Posted by Bob_T
If it is the "cracked fuel pump flange", you will need to burn off a lot more fuel to get the fuel level below the crack. You need to be more in the 2/3 to 3/4 empty range on the fuel gauge to get below that threshold based on how their 2 tank system works. The right tank gets completely emptied before the left tank starts to empty, as the fuel is transferred from the right tank to the left tank, until the right is empty - they both do not drop equally, together. It is absolutely amazing that GM would still have this problem on the C7s' at all after the bad karma it caused with the C6 models. Looking at the document cited above, it looks to be one of the same places that the C6 cracks regularly appeared. There were several places on the C6 left side fuel pump that cracked, this location is just one of them. In that document they say they "expect less than 5% will have this problem". What they really are counting on is that less than 5% will discover/encounter this problem within GM's extended service period while the other 95% who encounter/discover this problem will be outside that extended service period, so GM won't have to pay, just like the many C6 owners are still experiencing. Not saying 95% of the cars will have this problem, just the timing for those that are unlucky enough to encounter this problem. Disappointing, at best.
Old 12-03-2023, 08:23 PM
stevettec7
Drifting

Got my car back. The tech said he found the evap canister purge line off at the purge valve. Glad it was a quick-fix.

Quick Reply: Strong Fuel Vapors in Cabin