Sponsored by:

OEM Front Splitter Winglet Fitment Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2024, 05:00 PM
tstewart1621
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdolandese
Is that carbon fiber splitter OEM. Maybe the original owner swapped it out with an aftermarket ? What is on the outside edge of your splitter? Mine had stage 2 winglets that screwed into the end. When I changed to the stage 3 the screws stayed in there and you just slid the canard down in the slots. Then 3 wheel well screws and 1 underneath . Is that how your attaches?
Updated original post with more images. My screws fully come out of the splitter. I searched and searched underneath but couldn't find a part number on the splitter. Pic shows outside edge. Your outside edge definitely looks different than mine. The end cap part numbers suggest they are OEM... maybe the key here is to try to identify where my splitter came from and get the corresponding end caps. Either that or determine what modifications I'd need to make to make these work. Possibly sanding down the parts that are preventing the winglets from moving forward.
Old 02-03-2024, 05:08 PM
tstewart1621
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Yes his is OEM as evidenced by the General Motors part number molded into the part and the shape and the fit.

Where’d you buy from? If you don’t have a GM part number on it, it’s aftermarket.

another good test is price. OEM is $$$ vs aftermarket…$. New OEM will also have come with longer attaching hardware.
Updated the post with more pictures. I purchased this from a very small dealer in PA who purchased it from a larger dealer up state. I drove out to see the car and was pleasantly surprised when he showed me what appeared to be the original plastic bag that these accessories came in from the factory. It was the winglets, the stage 3 wickerbill, and a bit of hardware. Now it's away for the Winter and I'm checking these accessories out and realizing I think I have a mix of stuff... Not sure how that could have happened. Trying to sort it out.
Old 02-03-2024, 05:09 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 749 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by tstewart1621
Is your stuff OEM? I'm seeing a handful of differences from mine right away.
Yes all my stuff is 100% OEM Positive
Old 02-03-2024, 05:14 PM
tstewart1621
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by ICONIC7
They'll fit. I believe that's how the Z07's came from factory.
Could you let me know where you got your winglets? I've been staring at this picture and I believe we may have the same splitter. I updated my original post with new pictures including the splitter. It's a bit rounded on the front edge, and it looks different from the on in mdolandese post. His edge is straight from front to back but mine (and possibly yours) has a bit of a bumpout when it reaches the wheel slats. Thoughts? I may want to get carbon fiber matching winglets anyway. I may be in a bit of a trial period and have to order and return a few before I get ones that fit my splitter.
Old 02-03-2024, 05:18 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Updated the post with more pictures. I purchased this from a very small dealer in PA who purchased it from a larger dealer up state. I drove out to see the car and was pleasantly surprised when he showed me what appeared to be the original plastic bag that these accessories came in from the factory. It was the winglets, the stage 3 wickerbill, and a bit of hardware. Now it's away for the Winter and I'm checking these accessories out and realizing I think I have a mix of stuff... Not sure how that could have happened. Trying to sort it out.
My screws come out of my splitter too. I just keep them in so it’s easier to just slide the canard down over them instead of taking them off and putting them back on. Like I mentioned I have the stage 2 winglets as well and they line up perfect using those same 2 screws. You just have to take them out then line up the winglet and put the screw through them to attach to the splitter. If I were to guess I don’t think your splitter is OEM. I know your canard is by the GM number ion the bottom of it. That’s the only logical explanation
Old 02-03-2024, 05:20 PM
tstewart1621
Heel & Toe

Yes all my stuff is 100% OEM Positive
Your splitter edge is clearly different than mine. Not sure if you saw but I updated images. Without knowing if GM made the carbon fiber splitter different than the carbon flash splitter, I may need to assume I have non-OEM stuff on my car. Hmmm. I'll just have to stick with the street winglets for now and gather more info. Appreciate your help.
Old 02-03-2024, 05:23 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Could you let me know where you got your winglets? I've been staring at this picture and I believe we may have the same splitter. I updated my original post with new pictures including the splitter. It's a bit rounded on the front edge, and it looks different from the on in mdolandese post. His edge is straight from front to back but mine (and possibly yours) has a bit of a bumpout when it reaches the wheel slats. Thoughts? I may want to get carbon fiber matching winglets anyway. I may be in a bit of a trial period and have to order and return a few before I get ones that fit my splitter.
If I remember correctly GM didn’t make Carbon Fiber Canards only Carbon Flash Metallic. Someone else could chime in to double check that though. They would have to me aftermarket
Old 02-03-2024, 05:35 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Getting the feeling I need to double and triple check it is in fact OEM. My car is a Z07 with the carbon fiber side skirts and carbon fiber front splitter, and I purchased it with 10,000 miles on it. One owner. Not sure why they would have a reason to need to swap it out.... but I guess a lot can happen in 10,000 miles. Thanks for the reply.
Look really close at the weave on your splitter and sides skirts. Does the weave pattern look identical just a thought. In 10,000 miles he may have changed out his OEM carbon fiber splitter with a aftermarket one because it was cheaper. Due to some damage along the way.
Old 02-03-2024, 05:37 PM
tstewart1621
Heel & Toe

If I remember correctly GM didn’t make Carbon Fiber Canards only Carbon Flash Metallic. Someone else could chime in to double check that though. They would have to me aftermarket
The car has exposed carbon fiber roof, side skirts, and front splitter. I'm blacking out absolutely everything else and this winglet confusion has me wondering if I should sell and replace these items to fully black out the whole thing but man the OEM stuff is expensive and I don't want to replace it with cheep parts. I think my best bet is to keep the exposed carbon fiber parts and do some trial and error with some aftermarket carbon fiber winglets. I asked ICONIC where he got his, they look great. He looks like he has aftermarket larger wheel slats.
Old 02-03-2024, 06:31 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,840 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Look really close at the weave on your splitter and sides skirts. Does the weave pattern look identical just a thought. In 10,000 miles he may have changed out his OEM carbon fiber splitter with a aftermarket one because it was cheaper. Due to some damage along the way.
This is certainly a possibility. An OEM splitter should have a sticker with a part number on the underside. To see it, you'll need to remove a whole lot of screws that hold the Stage 2/3 undertray in place. If you do not have the undertray and there are no mounting locations for it on the splitter, that would be another indicator of what you have since many aftermarket splitters don't work with the factory undertray. C7 Carbon is one that does, so only the part number (or lack of) would be conclusive.

One last idea is that they mounted the splitter incorrectly. If it's a Stage 1 car that someone added the Stage 2/3 splitter to, they may have messed up some of the mounting holes so they moved the splitter a little forward.
Old 02-04-2024, 02:58 PM
tstewart1621
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
This is certainly a possibility. An OEM splitter should have a sticker with a part number on the underside. To see it, you'll need to remove a whole lot of screws that hold the Stage 2/3 undertray in place. If you do not have the undertray and there are no mounting locations for it on the splitter, that would be another indicator of what you have since many aftermarket splitters don't work with the factory undertray. C7 Carbon is one that does, so only the part number (or lack of) would be conclusive.

One last idea is that they mounted the splitter incorrectly. If it's a Stage 1 car that someone added the Stage 2/3 splitter to, they may have messed up some of the mounting holes so they moved the splitter a little forward.
Interesting.... well, I'll have the car on a lift first thing when it comes out in the Spring to do an Xpipe install, so I'll plan to investigate that then. I can say for sure I have an undertray, but I'll disassemble and look out for the sticker with the part number. Appreciate the feedback.
Old 02-04-2024, 04:45 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,002 Likes on 5,369 Posts

Check your RPOs to see if your car is a Z07 optioned car. The Stage 2 splitter includes the small end caps as part of its part number. When the Z07 cars were delivered to a dealer they had the Stage 2 splitter with small end caps, a package with the Stage 3 Large end caps and another package with the rear clear center wicker wth containing two longer bolts for when the center wicker is installed. From your description of the package of parts and the center wicker, it sounds like the way the parts were delivered from the factory. When they received the cars a lot of dealers would remove the small end caps and install the Stage 3 large end caps before the car was put on the showroom floor or before it was delivered to a Customer.

I haven't removed the front fascia but due to tracking the car a lot I have had the Stage 3 end caps off and on several times to replace the wheel well liners over the years. One thing I found with their fitment is to make sure the spat is in its correct place. Where the front wheel well liner connects with the front fascia there is a capture edge so the two panels lock together, if the wheel well liner is on the wrong side of the fascia capture edge the spat is pushed backward and makes things harder to fit together. You also want to make sure the spat isn't sagging where it attaches to the front fender (not the fascia). The spat is fastened to the fender with double-sided tape that tends to fall apart so it can sag some and cause fitment issues. Other fitment issues can occur if the front fender tilts forward just a little bit. To make sure the spat is in the correct fore-aft placement there shouldn't be more than a small stripe of paint between the side marker light and the spat.

Here are some pictures of my left side large end cap.

I find the best way to reinstall the large end caps is to loosen the outside of the stock undertray so I can get a socket wrench on the nuts that hold the two bolts that go through the end of the splitter in place, then I tighten the bolts down to a point where I can slide the stage 3 end cap over both. Once I have the end cap sitting on the bolts I then slide into place behind the splitter and loosely install the 3 bolts that hold it to the fascia. Then I go back to the splitter bolts and while holding the end cap in place I tighten the front bolt followed by the end bolt until there is only a small amount of movement available. Then I tighten the 3 bolts holding the end cap to the fascia and finish tightening the splitter bolts. I have one advantage with the splitter bolts that some people don't have. I have a long torx tool left over from a honey-do project that fits in the front splitter bolt so I can turn the bolt or hold it in place if I turn the nut on the other end.

Bill
Old 02-04-2024, 09:16 PM
ICONIC7
Pro

Received 535 Likes on 281 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Your stuff all appears to be OEM. You have the exposed carbon fiber front splitter (like me) and the factory carbon flash painted stage 3 canards, as do I. I'm at a loss as to why they don't line up correctly.
​​​​​​My setup is as follows:
OEM stage 2 exposed carbon fiber front splitter
OEM spats painted carbon flash black
Extreme Online Store stage 3 exposed carbon fiber winglets. Surprisingly for EOS the fit is dead on. However the carbon fiber does not match 100%. You'll find this to be the case with almost any aftermarket carbon fiber you go with.
Old 02-06-2024, 07:56 PM
tstewart1621
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Check your RPOs to see if your car is a Z07 optioned car. The Stage 2 splitter includes the small end caps as part of its part number. When the Z07 cars were delivered to a dealer they had the Stage 2 splitter with small end caps, a package with the Stage 3 Large end caps and another package with the rear clear center wicker wth containing two longer bolts for when the center wicker is installed. From your description of the package of parts and the center wicker, it sounds like the way the parts were delivered from the factory. When they received the cars a lot of dealers would remove the small end caps and install the Stage 3 large end caps before the car was put on the showroom floor or before it was delivered to a Customer.

I haven't removed the front fascia but due to tracking the car a lot I have had the Stage 3 end caps off and on several times to replace the wheel well liners over the years. One thing I found with their fitment is to make sure the spat is in its correct place. Where the front wheel well liner connects with the front fascia there is a capture edge so the two panels lock together, if the wheel well liner is on the wrong side of the fascia capture edge the spat is pushed backward and makes things harder to fit together. You also want to make sure the spat isn't sagging where it attaches to the front fender (not the fascia). The spat is fastened to the fender with double-sided tape that tends to fall apart so it can sag some and cause fitment issues. Other fitment issues can occur if the front fender tilts forward just a little bit. To make sure the spat is in the correct fore-aft placement there shouldn't be more than a small stripe of paint between the side marker light and the spat.

Here are some pictures of my left side large end cap.

I find the best way to reinstall the large end caps is to loosen the outside of the stock undertray so I can get a socket wrench on the nuts that hold the two bolts that go through the end of the splitter in place, then I tighten the bolts down to a point where I can slide the stage 3 end cap over both. Once I have the end cap sitting on the bolts I then slide into place behind the splitter and loosely install the 3 bolts that hold it to the fascia. Then I go back to the splitter bolts and while holding the end cap in place I tighten the front bolt followed by the end bolt until there is only a small amount of movement available. Then I tighten the 3 bolts holding the end cap to the fascia and finish tightening the splitter bolts. I have one advantage with the splitter bolts that some people don't have. I have a long torx tool left over from a honey-do project that fits in the front splitter bolt so I can turn the bolt or hold it in place if I turn the nut on the other end.

Bill
Bill, thank you so much for your detailed reply. I'm new to RPOs. My car is a 2017 and I guess in 2018 they started replacing the RPO label with a QR code. Uhg. Anyway, I'll find those codes and work on confirming all my information. I can say for sure my car is a Z07 though. And like you said, the aero parts came in bags and are mint with zero scratches or niks so I really think the previous owner just didn't install the stuff. Maybe was aware that the extra aero cuts down on MPG, idk.... but I appreciate your help in putting me on the right path. If I had a 3 car garage I could go out and keep this moving now, but I am storing my car a half hour away and usually go to tinker every other weekend or so. Thanks again.
Old 02-06-2024, 08:05 PM
tstewart1621
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by ICONIC7
Your stuff all appears to be OEM. You have the exposed carbon fiber front splitter (like me) and the factory carbon flash painted stage 3 canards, as do I. I'm at a loss as to why they don't line up correctly.
​​​​​​My setup is as follows:
OEM stage 2 exposed carbon fiber front splitter
OEM spats painted carbon flash black
Extreme Online Store stage 3 exposed carbon fiber winglets. Surprisingly for EOS the fit is dead on. However the carbon fiber does not match 100%. You'll find this to be the case with almost any aftermarket carbon fiber you go with.
I wouldn't ask you to take one of your winglets off to confirm, but you may know just by memory. Do you know if the edge of your splitter looks exactly like mine in my updated images in original post? I ask because I'm noticing that the actual shape of the carbon flash OEM splitter looks different from the exposed carbon fiber OEM splitter, if that is indeed what I have. Specifically the edge on the carbon flash has a bit of a shelf to it, as shown in another poster images, whereas mine is a flat edge all the way back until it gets to the wheel spats, where it has a bit of a bumpout. That has me confused, and thinking it's not OEM, but I won't be able to really dig into that until I can get the car on a lift in the Spring.
Old 02-07-2024, 11:33 AM
ICONIC7
Pro

Received 535 Likes on 281 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I wouldn't ask you to take one of your winglets off to confirm, but you may know just by memory. Do you know if the edge of your splitter looks exactly like mine in my updated images in original post? I ask because I'm noticing that the actual shape of the carbon flash OEM splitter looks different from the exposed carbon fiber OEM splitter, if that is indeed what I have. Specifically the edge on the carbon flash has a bit of a shelf to it, as shown in another poster images, whereas mine is a flat edge all the way back until it gets to the wheel spats, where it has a bit of a bumpout. That has me confused, and thinking it's not OEM, but I won't be able to really dig into that until I can get the car on a lift in the Spring.
I see that bump out that you're referring to, in the very last pic you added. The edge of my splitter does look like yours except I do not have that bump out. As you can see, mine goes straight back the whole way. (You can also see how mis-matched the carbon fiber winglet is in certain light)

Old 02-07-2024, 12:06 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Just so you know if you’re referring to my picture in one of my posts the splitter edge is flat all the way across to the end with NO bump out. The bottom piece that looks like a shelf or lip is my ProTekt splitter protection underneath. That doesn’t connect to the splitter. Just so you know the stock carbon flash is flat with a clean edge that goes all the way to the spat with NO bump out. If you’re referring to something else sorry disregard.

Old 03-16-2024, 11:45 AM
tstewart1621
Heel & Toe

Just so you know if you’re referring to my picture in one of my posts the splitter edge is flat all the way across to the end with NO bump out. The bottom piece that looks like a shelf or lip is my ProTekt splitter protection underneath. That doesn’t connect to the splitter. Just so you know the stock carbon flash is flat with a clean edge that goes all the way to the spat with NO bump out. If you’re referring to something else sorry disregard.
That was exactly what I was referring to, thanks for the great info

Quick Reply: OEM Front Splitter Winglet Fitment Issues