Sponsored by:

Bent front suspension stabilizer and uneven tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 02:01 PM
McCarthy1986
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Bend front suspension stabilizer and uneven tire wear

I was changing oil yesterday and luckily found the massive inside wear on one front tire. My C7 is lowered on stock bolts, all the way down, and I installed aFe sway bars, front and back, a couple years ago. While the rear acts funny at high speeds I never bothered to get an alignment. Never had an issue on the front, the car goes very fast through corners, no surprise with that negative camber.

Obviously an alignment and new front tires are in order.

While I was under the car, I also found a slightly bend "front suspension stabilizer bar", see photos below. Only one side is bend, the same side as the worn tire. When I flex it down, the front suspension cradle doesn't move at all, the bar flips right back up when I let go, so I don't think this has an impact on tire wear.

I do not recall hitting any curb etc. I'm the only driver, that being said, I drive her very hard.

Here my questions:

1.) What is this stabilizer bar called, what is the part number?
2.) Should I replace this stabilizer bar?
3.) Do you think this had an impact on tire wear?
4.) Where can I find a good shop for the alignment around Tampa Bay / Sarasota? They need to have access to the caster alignment tool.

Last edited by McCarthy1986; 03-08-2024 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-08-2024, 05:50 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Chassis reinforcement, but I doubt it altered your alignment.
If the front Toe is good (not too much toe-out), then the tire wear is too much negative camber coupled with too much cornering enjoyment.....got to pay to play....

Last edited by ersatz928; 03-08-2024 at 06:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
McCarthy1986 (03-08-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 05:56 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,779 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Just a chassis brace. Has zero effect on alignment. The bend looks so minor you can probably straighten it.

https://www.gmwholesaledirect.com/oe...hoCDYQQAvD_BwE

GM used to sell carbon fiber replacements. Supposedly a couple pounds lighter in total with all 4, but mostly for the "Look at Me" bragging rights crowd.
The following users liked this post:
McCarthy1986 (03-08-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 06:15 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by McCarthy1986
I was changing oil yesterday and luckily found the massive inside wear on one front tire. My C7 is lowered on stock bolts, all the way down, and I installed aFe sway bars, front and back, a couple years ago. While the rear acts funny at high speeds I never bothered to get an alignment. Never had an issue on the front, the car goes very fast through corners, no surprise with that negative camber.

While I was under the car, I also found a slightly bend "front suspension stabilizer bar", see photos below. Only one side is bend, the same side as the worn tire. When I flex it down, the front suspension cradle doesn't move at all, the bar flips right back up when I let go, so I don't think this has an impact on tire wear.

I do not recall hitting any curb etc. I'm the only driver, that being said, I drive her very hard.

Here my questions:

4.) Where can I find a good shop for the alignment around Tampa Bay / Sarasota? They need to have access to the caster alignment tool.

The wear is due to lowering the car. As you lower the car you increase wheel camber which at the same time changes the toe settings. As the top of the wheels leans in the suspension pulls on the tie rods which at the front of the car are connected in to the knuckle in front hub. Since the tie rods can't move when the suspension pulls on them the wheels turn inward (causing toe in along with the increased negative camber).

Bill
The following 3 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
76-Vetteman (03-11-2024), CorvetteMike2024 (03-08-2024), McCarthy1986 (03-08-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 07:10 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 747 Likes on 561 Posts

Here my questions:

Try C&S Corvettes in Sarasota. Lyle has a Y-Tube channel and specializes in Corvettes. I know he’s in Sarasota somewhere he may be able to help you out. Check out his YouTube channel or give him a call
Old 03-08-2024, 07:26 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 781 Likes on 472 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Take it to Firestone and get a lifetime alignment.
Old 03-08-2024, 07:31 PM
McCarthy1986
Advanced

Thank you guys very much for the help and input, I really appreciated it.

Originally Posted by ersatz928
Chassis reinforcement, but I doubt it altered your alignment.
If the front Toe is good (not too much toe-out), then the tire wear is too much negative camber coupled with too much cornering enjoyment.....got to pay to play....
I indeed drive the heck out of my C7, usually late at night when nobody is around. There are a few slower corners with no traffic that I love to carve. I should go to the track, but I'm tired of that routine. Done that for years when I was racing in Unlimited Superbike class. When they closed down the best track in FL, I was done with track prep and hauling my stuff around for days.

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Just a chassis brace. Has zero effect on alignment. The bend looks so minor you can probably straighten it.

https://www.gmwholesaledirect.com/oe...hoCDYQQAvD_BwE

GM used to sell carbon fiber replacements. Supposedly a couple pounds lighter in total with all 4, but mostly for the "Look at Me" bragging rights crowd.
At that low price I just replace it, for good measure. Thank you for the link.

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The wear is due to lowering the car. As you lower the car you increase wheel camber which at the same time changes the toe settings. As the top of the wheels leans in the suspension pulls on the tie rods which at the front of the car are connected in to the knuckle in front hub. Since the tie rods can't move when the suspension pulls on them the wheels turn inward (causing toe in along with the increased negative camber).

Bill
Now that explains it all, and very well.

Will I need a shop that has the tool to adjust caster, or will I get away with a regular alignment? I'm having a hard time finding a shop that has the needed tool. I sent 3 emails so far and nothing.

Also, the rear acts funny at higher speeds and I wonder if this is caused by the aFe sway bars (link below). If I remember correctly, I have them on the stiffest setting in the front, and middle in the rear. The car is super planted, will even have a wheel in the air when I drive off a steeper driveways sideways. Zero body roll, and I love how it handles at speeds up to 80. Past 100 and it feels dicey. Just a small input at the wheel and the rear hooks hard and comes "around" instantly. Incredible traction but if I would lose it, I'd be off the road in a split second. This gets especially bad with new rear tires. Is it the same "increase wheel camber" issue due to the lowering? Do you have any other ideas regarding this issue?

https://afepower.com/afe-power-440-4...s-sway-bar-set
Old 03-08-2024, 07:33 PM
McCarthy1986
Advanced

Originally Posted by mdolandese
Try C&S Corvettes in Sarasota. Lyle has a Y-Tube channel and specializes in Corvettes. I know he’s in Sarasota somewhere he may be able to help you out. Check out his YouTube channel or give him a call
I sent him an email earlier and he suggested Lowe Auto Repair. I guess he doesn't have the caster alignment tool. I'll call Lowe Auto Repair on Monday, but never heard of them before.
Old 03-08-2024, 07:35 PM
McCarthy1986
Advanced

Originally Posted by F4Gary
Take it to Firestone and get a lifetime alignment.
Do they have that GM caster alignment tool? Due to the lowering and the sway bars I may need a little more than your average alignment.
Old 03-08-2024, 07:46 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Do they have that GM caster alignment tool? Due to the lowering and the sway bars I may need a little more than your average alignment.
Pick up the phone and call them.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:05 AM
McCarthy1986
Advanced

Originally Posted by F4Gary
Pick up the phone and call them.
Called, they don't have the caster alignment tool. Tech didn't even understand what I was talking about.

This suggestion didn't make sense to begin with. I need a proper alignment if not race shop for my suspension setup, not a random tire chain place that works on $20,000 Altimas all day long.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:55 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Called, they don't have the caster alignment tool. Tech didn't even understand what I was talking about.

This suggestion didn't make sense to begin with. I need a proper alignment if not race shop for my suspension setup, not a random tire chain place that works on $20,000 Altimas all day long.
The guy at the Firestone I take mine to did all of the alignments for the Team Texas C5 out at Texas Motor Speedway. Most of the alignment guys are pretty good.

Get notified of new replies

To Bent front suspension stabilizer and uneven tire wear

Quick Reply: Bent front suspension stabilizer and uneven tire wear