Sponsored by:

2015 stereo replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 03:31 PM
0DashLynx
Former Vendor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by miami08VETTE
Wow DashLynx! I don't like your style of salesmanship! Fear, pressure and half information! Not a good look for a legit vendor. Luckily, I don't have to deal with this issue thanks to excellent product and support from Anthony at MVI...
There is no fear or pressureor half information, https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...29857-9999.pdf

NHTSA clearly states that swapping modules from a different car can render your car undriveable. Bulletins like these are often issued because numerous people have complained that their cars essentially become unusable bricks after such swaps.

If people still want to proceed with this upgrade, they can go ahead, but at least now they know the potential risks. If they swap their factory modules and their car breaks down, Anthony from MVI, even if they're five states away, won't be able to help. They'll have to tow their car to the dealership, replace the broken modules, and face potentially thousands of dollars in repair costs. Any mistakes made with these modules could turn their car into a brick.

It's puzzling why this information hasn't been shared before. Everyone who has done this modification on this forum likely didn't have this crucial information beforehand.
Old 05-02-2024, 03:53 PM
0DashLynx
Former Vendor

I am sure the customer service and the service from MVI or White, but what happens if your car becomes undriveable after swapping out those modules? Nobody seems to have an answer for that. Even if they offer top-notch service, if I'm stranded 10 states away and my car won't start, how can they help me remotely? It's likely they can't, especially if fixing the issue requires expensive diagnostic equipment connected to the car, which costs tens of thousands of dollars. And even then, there's no guarantee it will solve the problem. In the end, you may just need to replace the modules altogether.

I believe this solution is quite reckless to sell to people without letting them know of a potential problem.

Obviously, if you tell people that this upgrade can break their vehicle, they would never do it.

For those reading this thread and wondering which direction to take, it's essential to weigh your options carefully. Even if your car doesn't stop working altogether, you still lose the ability to control CarPlay music through your steering wheel, as well as miss out on extra cameras or HDMI inputs. That's the gist of it.
Old 05-02-2024, 04:00 PM
westsdad
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

Unsubscribing from this new vendor bashing other vendors thread. No longer interested in the product as they can't even answer questions that were asked.
The following 2 users liked this post by westsdad:
miami08VETTE (05-02-2024), UpNorthC7 (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 04:09 PM
0DashLynx
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by westsdad
Unsubscribing from this new vendor bashing other vendors thread. No longer interested in the product as they can't even answer questions that were asked.
None of these companies are vendors on this forum. I've answered every question you've asked. Most important if these so-called vendors were manufacturers or vendors trying to develop or offer something beneficial, it would be understandable. However, this particular offering is for a product that clearly states it could damage your car (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...29857-9999.pdf). You still haven't explained how to prevent this from happening, what happens when it does happen, and why this bulletin exists in the first place?

On the Lexus forum, which is owned by Internet Brands, the same people are owners of this forum. When it comes to CarPlay conversations, there are three vendors who all offer CarPlay solutions. One is from China, another from the United States, just like us. And you know what? We don't bash each other; we don't try to sabotage each other's products because we understand that these products have a right to exist. This situation reminds me of the fuel management systems that were promoted heavily on forums in the past, which ended up damaging engines. Many people bought into them before the issue became widely recognized.
Old 05-02-2024, 05:26 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,025 Likes on 5,378 Posts

Originally Posted by DashLynx
None of these companies are vendors on this forum. I've answered every question you've asked. Most important if these so-called vendors were manufacturers or vendors trying to develop or offer something beneficial, it would be understandable. However, this particular offering is for a product that clearly states it could damage your car (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...29857-9999.pdf). You still haven't explained how to prevent this from happening, what happens when it does happen, and why this bulletin exists in the first place?

On the Lexus forum, which is owned by Internet Brands, the same people are owners of this forum. When it comes to CarPlay conversations, there are three vendors who all offer CarPlay solutions. One is from China, another from the United States, just like us. And you know what? We don't bash each other; we don't try to sabotage each other's products because we understand that these products have a right to exist. This situation reminds me of the fuel management systems that were promoted heavily on forums in the past, which ended up damaging engines. Many people bought into them before the issue became widely recognized.
What does Internet Brands have to do with the subject? They could care less. That is a Red Herring statement and useless.

I haven't seen the answer to one of the questions asked. How much does your nifty thing shown in the video cost? It must be expensive because you seem to be offering a $100 discount. However, when I go to the webpage you referenced all I see is a request for name address and credit card number. There is not even a mention of the ordered product and no idea what the cost is. What are getting and how much money are you going to ding the credit card for?

You are a fine one to talk about supporting Customers as you can't even support potential Customers trying to order your product. Very few people would be foolish enough to do business through your website.

Bill
Old 05-02-2024, 05:36 PM
0DashLynx
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
What does Internet Brands have to do with the subject? They could care less. That is a Red Herring statement and useless.

I haven't seen the answer to one of the questions asked. How much does your nifty thing shown in the video cost? It must be expensive because you seem to be offering a $100 discount. However, when I go to the webpage you referenced all I see is a request for name address and credit card number. There is not even a mention of the ordered product and no idea what the cost is. What are getting and how much money are you going to ding the credit card for?

You are a fine one to talk about supporting Customers as you can't even support potential Customers trying to order your product. Very few people would be foolish enough to do business through your website.

Bill
To really make this product stand out, we've just introduced 4 new features features and we are updating the website for the particular product for the Corvette C7 without factory Apple CarPlay or android auto . We'll share a new website once we've updated it with the added features.

The website you're on currently isn't for that product; it's for cars who already have factory CarPlay and want to add video or cameras to their screen.

As for the price, it's listed right at the bottom of the page. It's right there, plain as day. If you're not seeing it, maybe you haven't scrolled all the way down. Take a peek at the bottom, and you'll find the price.

Old 05-02-2024, 09:25 PM
vetterich
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So let me get this right. I have a c7 that does not have apple CarPlay or android auto and buying you $299 device will give me these features???? That's all I want to know, forget all the government and GM crap.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:31 PM
0DashLynx
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by vetterich
So let me get this right. I have a c7 that does not have apple CarPlay or android auto and buying you $299 device will give me these features???? That's all I want to know, forget all the government and GM crap.
We manufacture various CarPlay kits for different cars, primarily catering to car dealerships. If you visit a dealership, such as a local Chevy dealership, to buy a used car from their lot, many of these dealerships would purchase our product to install in the cars. They do this because of the long warranty and because our product is something they can resell to their customers as if it were factory-installed, without any additional branding.

Seeing the significant demand for such products and that customers are willing to do installations themselves, we're planning to start selling our products directly to consumers as well.

The product currently featured on the website are specifically designed for cars that already have Apple CarPlay installed, that's the only requirement for the product to operate. It's made for consumers, meaning anyone can purchase it and plug it into the USB port of vehicles that already have factory CarPlay. This product is for customers who want to add video to their screens.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:52 PM
UpNorthC7
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

vetterich, that’s his long winded way of saying-No
The following users liked this post:
Jeff T. (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 09:56 PM
0DashLynx
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by UpNorthC7
vetterich, that’s his long winded way of saying-No
The product that will add CarPlay and Android Auto to cars that currently don't have them will be introduced to the forum members for approximately $450. We're waiting for CEO approval to proceed with selling it at this price.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:06 PM
UpNorthC7
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DashLynx
The product that will add CarPlay and Android Auto to cars that currently don't have them will be introduced to the forum members for approximately $450. We're waiting for CEO approval to proceed with selling it at this price.
You mean you’re not the CEO? I’m disappointed.
Jeff T. (05-03-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 10:13 PM
14point5
Instructor

Received 235 Likes on 99 Posts

Dashlynx paid a fee to be a supporting vendor.

I haven't paid anything to partake of the benefits this forum offers to Corvette enthusiasts. So who am I to complain?

But I have to say Dashlynx demeanor, attitude, and communication style has diminished my experience here. I think his product is snake oil and he peddles misinformation about vendors who offer new GM OEM radio and HMI modules pre-programmed with the owners VIN and option set. He says they are selling junkyard or flood salvage parts that could brick your computer and that is not true. WAMS sells only new OEM modules.

White Automotive Media Services and MVI offer the most OEM retrofit option to bring a 2014-15 Stingray up to match the Apple CarPlay / Android Auto functionality offered from 2016 on up. Many members here are confirmed satisfied customers.

The product being pushed by Dashlynx seems to be vaporware at this point. There are a lot of claims but no evidence. While it may prove someday to be "all that and a bag of chips" it is not proven, has no track record, and he sh*ts all over everybody who is skeptical and does so with impunity because he paid for vendor status.

The bickering with this guy is tiresome, and discourages me from spending more time reading on this forum.

The following 3 users liked this post by 14point5:
Dcasole (05-04-2024), Jeff T. (05-02-2024), miami08VETTE (05-03-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 11:28 PM
0DashLynx
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 14point5
Dashlynx paid a fee to be a supporting vendor.

I haven't paid anything to partake of the benefits this forum offers to Corvette enthusiasts. So who am I to complain?

But I have to say Dashlynx demeanor, attitude, and communication style has diminished my experience here. I think his product is snake oil and he peddles misinformation about vendors who offer new GM OEM radio and HMI modules pre-programmed with the owners VIN and option set. He says they are selling junkyard or flood salvage parts that could brick your computer and that is not true. WAMS sells only new OEM modules.

White Automotive Media Services and MVI offer the most OEM retrofit option to bring a 2014-15 Stingray up to match the Apple CarPlay / Android Auto functionality offered from 2016 on up. Many members here are confirmed satisfied customers.

The product being pushed by Dashlynx seems to be vaporware at this point. There are a lot of claims but no evidence. While it may prove someday to be "all that and a bag of chips" it is not proven, has no track record, and he sh*ts all over everybody who is skeptical and does so with impunity because he paid for vendor status.

The bickering with this guy is tiresome, and discourages me from spending more time reading on this forum.
So, if I understand correctly, you're suggesting that we should ignore this bulletin, and replacing the HMI and radio module will never cause a no-start issue in a vehicle. You believe this is a bunch of BS https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...29857-9999.pdf ?

So, let me get this straight. You're suggesting that by upgrading the HMI and radio module in the car for $700, it's acceptable not to have wireless CarPlay and to lose your steering wheel buttons. Furthermore, others are reporting that they lost even more features, such as the ability to turn on and off the NPP (Dual Mode) exhaust from the infotainment screen.

We believe that people should be aware of the consequences of such uprades. You, as someone who drives a Corvette and presumably supports American cars, should also support American engineering that we do in this country. instead of suppotring people reselling programs and modules to strip away features from cars just to get CarPlay, which could be achieved in many other ways, they're taking away features from the car and thats If you're lucky, you'll be able to drive away.

There's a whole industry dedicated to upgrades, and as we all know, both MVI and WAMS are shops to begin with. If people want to drive their cars down there and have them installed, and if something goes wrong, the car's at the shop where they can figure out how to fix it. I don't mind that. But if you live a thousand miles away and they ship you something to put in the car, and then you car has to get towed to the dealer, what's the point?

The remaining question is, what's the point of adding CarPlay that's not wireless and takes away at least two features from your car, as has been widely reported?
Old 05-02-2024, 11:57 PM
14point5
Instructor

Dude, the the way the way the forum mods lets you run rough-shod here has me ready to delete my favorite links and go to stingrayforums.com

Last edited by 14point5; 05-03-2024 at 12:04 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 14point5:
Dcasole (05-04-2024), Jeff T. (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 12:04 AM
0DashLynx
Former Vendor

Dude, the the way the way the forum mods lets you run rough-shod here has me ready to delete my favorite links and go to stingrayforum.com
It's mind-boggling that people refuse to look at the bulletin that NHTSA has released, which clearly states that replacing car modules can make a car not start.

I understand that there are people who have done those upgrades and had no problems. However, if I were reading this as a forum member who understands what NHTSA is and what leads to these bulletins being created, I would be concerned. After finding this information as a forum member I would say I can no longer recommend the upgrade because we are doing exactly what the bulletin tells us not to do.

People keep insisting that Anthony at MVI has great customer service, and I'm not doubting that for a second. But what happens if I get the module and my car no longer starts?

The issue must be serious enough for this bulletin to exist
Old 05-03-2024, 12:08 AM
14point5
Instructor

Its like you think because you paid for vendor status that you own this place.
Jeff T. (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 12:14 AM
0DashLynx
Former Vendor

Its like you think because you paid for vendor status that you own this place.
that is absolutely not the case, members recommend a certain solution by people who are not even vendors here, it is understandable that members on this forum did not know of a problem that is serious enough that bulletin was created for it by NHTSA.

We understand that people didn’t know about this issue and we have posted about it.

but to brush this off like it’s nothing it’s not fair to the entire community because it is a serious issue that can lead to a very expensive repair bill.

so I am doing a public service and pretty much giving the information to people that is available anyway. But ignore it or saying that it isn’t so I mean I’m not the one who created the bulletin and we’re going to ignore NHTSA

Get notified of new replies

To 2015 stereo replacement

Old 05-03-2024, 12:58 AM
Olden Slowe
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 41 Posts

I’m amazed at how long this is permitted to go on.
The following 4 users liked this post by Olden Slowe:
14point5 (05-03-2024), corvettezman (05-03-2024), Jeff T. (05-03-2024), miami08VETTE (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 01:46 AM
BluRace
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts

i installed WAMS in my 2014 Stingray, it has worked 100%.

i tried to go onto the DashLynx website, simply for information, it was non-existent

i understand that DashLynx pays for the right to be on this forum

however,
as a longstanding member who has been on this site (almost) every day
and value the information i have gathered here
and
feel a sense of community with the forum and its members

i am tired of the *seemingly* hyperbole statements and attitude that keep coming from DashLynx.

i am tired of them.

please make them go AWAY

The following 3 users liked this post by BluRace:
14point5 (05-03-2024), Dcasole (05-04-2024), Jeff T. (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 02:20 AM
0DashLynx
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Jaykoh-Z51
https://infotainment.com/?gad_source...xoClUMQAvD_BwE

I did the upgrade from these guys about 4 years ago. LOVE it. Seemless operation and looks...well, IS pretty much an OEM upgrade. CarPlay works perfectly. The ONLY thing you lose is steering whee phonel control. I never used that any way.
There is some slight/small difference between 2014 and 2015 in terms of losing steering wheel functions. For me with a 2015, all I lost is the voice command function following push of a button on the right side of the wheel. I just just use "hey Siri" instead. Otherwise everything else on the steering wheel (volume up, down, track fwd, skip, etc) all works.
Originally Posted by BluRace
i installed WAMS in my 2014 Stingray, it has worked 100%.

i tried to go onto the DashLynx website, simply for information, it was non-existent

i understand that DashLynx pays for the right to be on this forum

however,
as a longstanding member who has been on this site (almost) every day
and value the information i have gathered here
and
feel a sense of community with the forum and its members

i am tired of the *seemingly* hyperbole statements and attitude that keep coming from DashLynx.

i am tired of them.

please make them go AWAY
You have two people in this very thread alone claiming they lost features from this upgrade. NHTSA states that your car will be completely undrivable, as shown in this bulletin https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...29857-9999.pdf

You claim that you come here for information, but at the same time, you don't want to hear the information. Just because something worked for you doesn't mean it will have the same results for others. And when you say that yours work100%, it still doesn't explain why this bulletin exists https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...29857-9999.pdf

I'm not arguing with other members; the facts are simply here in the bulletin that potentially people can have problems

You stated, "I installed WAMS in my 2014 Stingray, it has worked 100%." If you notice, no one is arguing this point. However, the bulletin clearly states that a no-start condition will occur. It's interesting information inside the bulletin, but for some reason, we're trying to ignore it.

While sharing personal experiences like "I installed WAMS in my 2014 Stingray, it has worked 100%" is valuable, it's equally important to acknowledge information provided by authoritative sources like the NHTSA bulletin. Ignoring such information could lead to overlooking potential risks or issues.

Bulletin provided by NHTSA is a vital piece of information. It clearly states that replacing radio modules can lead to a no-start condition. Insisting that upgrades to the radio module and HMI module are perfect without acknowledging the potential risks is indeed a risky proposition. It's crucial to consider all available information, including authoritative sources like the NHTSA bulletin, when making decisions about vehicle upgrades.

Quick Reply: 2015 stereo replacement