C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Independent header testing-ARH Longtubes/Pfadt Tri Y/Kooks Longtubes- Results Inside

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 03:55 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

They gave up a a lot of power to Arh 1 7/8's ! This a s/c'd ls-3 with Kook's 1 3/4
Shows a dip also with correct tuning. Nice to see the results!
Name:  scan0001-5-1.jpg
Views: 2010
Size:  55.7 KB

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 12-17-2013 at 03:59 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:38 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

This is the top-notch sort of information that I'd expect from a top-notch shop like Vengeance. Nice work Ron and crew! We have always known that longer primaries were beneficial to torque gains, your data confirms it.

Tony
Old 12-17-2013, 09:53 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,315 Likes on 1,793 Posts

8hp peak, but the power through out the curve, and low end is pretty damn good. Plus last time I checked the ARH was less expensive and fit better so it really is a win/win/win situation.

Great job on the test. I wonder if we will see revisions in headers over the next year based off testing like this.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:04 AM
JTMmotorsports
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vegasredz062
hmm.. at the end 8hp difference. Like i said nothing to write home about.

Nice Job Vengeance. Hopefully you guys will have a big build soon. I.E 650whp+
At the end the Peak numbers are probably not as important as the numbers through the power curve.. That's where the ARH headers shine.
HVMC the length of the primaries & the placement of the X-pipe are all factors that make the lower end numbers what they are, and they didn't sacrifice top end for it, as they maintained (mid) and made more power up top as well. Great job Ron.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 585 Likes on 314 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Great Post

Ron, Curious if all three dyno sessions were with the same SAE correction factor? 12 hours could shift the CF slightly.

I remember one day back in our dyno sessions in CA, our intake then could not muster more than +10 RWHP vs. stock. We were pretty disappointed, but decided to try one more pull after an hour of "oh well". Mind you this was an LS1 that made around 338 RWHP with our intake. +13 RWHP instantly on our very last pull. The SAE correction jumped from 1.00 to 1.01 due to a slight shift in the shop temp. Only 3 horsepower for couple degrees temp, but on a 500 HP motor, that tiny shift in CF would be 5 RWHP.

Good work (and a lot of it for the forum) Very hard to get precision on the chassis dyno, but your protocol looked spot on.

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 12-17-2013, 11:28 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Excellent job Vengeance. Since many headers customers will be catted and using the stock cam, do you believe the differences between these headers would 'generally' remain (percentage wise) if tested in that configuration? Most importantly the low end TQ.

Last edited by jim2092; 12-17-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Mike@NewEra
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write up Ron, very informative for everyone. Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:36 PM
Redline Motorsports
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Ron I'll be adding to this thread later as we just swapped another design into the mix.....

Ours will be a 100% stock engine with stock calibration...

Howard
Old 12-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Redline Motorsports
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Halltech
Ron, Curious if all three dyno sessions were with the same SAE correction factor? 12 hours could shift the CF slightly.

I remember one day back in our dyno sessions in CA, our intake then could not muster more than +10 RWHP vs. stock. We were pretty disappointed, but decided to try one more pull after an hour of "oh well". Mind you this was an LS1 that made around 338 RWHP with our intake. +13 RWHP instantly on our very last pull. The SAE correction jumped from 1.00 to 1.01 due to a slight shift in the shop temp. Only 3 horsepower for couple degrees temp, but on a 500 HP motor, that tiny shift in CF would be 5 RWHP.

Good work (and a lot of it for the forum) Very hard to get precision on the chassis dyno, but your protocol looked spot on.
Jim,

Good point but we are all seeing the same results. Our testing method has been to baseline car before every swap regardless if the headers where tested two days prior. Oil temps within 10 and coolant within 10 and tire pressure checked and set the same....as good as it gets on a chassis dyno!

I'd like to add further that just taking the cars on the road after the changes is a significant SOP.....not too mention we did a roll on with one of our stock C7's from a 30 MPH hit and the performance results match the power output.....

All this over headers.....LOL!

HT
Old 12-17-2013, 02:32 PM
0Ron@Vengeance Racing
Former Vendor

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by C6_Demon
so far the only differences posted that showed any real difference is the vengeance stuff. However, they are running a custom cam grind. Are you saying you are seeing significant differences with a stock setup?
I believe we are one of few shops that have actually modified a C7 engine internally. Correct me if I am missing someone..

Internal Modifications:
LMR- Multiple Heads/Cam Combos and Heads/Cam/Nitrous Combos
Vengeance- Cam/Headers/Nitrous

Shops that have modified C7s period:
Redline-Headers/Nitrous
RPM-Headers/Nitrous
A&A/ECS/Pfadt- Supercharger systems
Lashway- Turbo Kit under development
Top Speed & G Force- Headers/Tune

We should see results from TSP on their engine dyno shortly and it seems Redline has been doing some testing as well. As I said earlier, our results are just that.... Our results. The information above is what we saw when installing/testing various headers on our modified C7.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:36 PM
0Ron@Vengeance Racing
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by C6_Demon
so far the only differences posted that showed any real difference is the vengeance stuff. However, they are running a custom cam grind. Are you saying you are seeing significant differences with a stock setup?
It seems Redline and Lingenfelter are seeing similar results as well.

Graham Behan
Supporting Vendor
Garage is empty, add now

My Corvette Photos

Good for you Ron, that was a very well presented, informative post detailing what we have all seen.

Well done sir.

Graham.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:51 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 585 Likes on 314 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

One thing that is cool as hell, is the cooperation of many shops looking to mod the C7. Most forum members would agree that in the end, a few horsepower can sway a buying decision, but more importantly we all benefit when there is a unified effort to break code without breaking bad. Trust in the local tuner rules.

Next our intake will join the party. We ended up redesigning the airbox to completely seal the huge filter we are using.

Katech and Texas Speed have complete systems in production, with chassis dyno results soon.

Honestly, we have spent a lot of R&D on this project and way too much money, but in the end, the product will be the best we can make for the C7.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 220 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by jim2092
Excellent job Vengeance. Since many headers customers will be catted and using the stock cam, do you believe the differences between these headers would 'generally' remain (percentage wise) if tested in that configuration? Most importantly the low end TQ.
Actually, I second this question. That will be the boat I'm in - catted with CAI, but no cam or heads.

Curious to know if that all just becomes about the same at that point. Not a lot (or any other than the mids) of catted results out there.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:19 PM
HPmarkjustinc7
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do the Kooks dip so bad on your dyno, but the other dyno charts posted with Kooks headers show a nice hump at 3k RPM? Tuning? Cam design?
Old 12-17-2013, 05:29 PM
Mike@NewEra
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have the ARH mid-length system without cats ready to get installed on our C7, just waiting to finish the testing on our axle back exhaust system we made and finalize the jig for it before we install the headers. We also tested porting the stock throttle body, and tuning in stock form. We only saw a 1 rwhp and 1 rwtq gain porting the stock throttle body, but it was also on a stock C7, this could be different on a modified C7.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:20 PM
0Ron@Vengeance Racing
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by HPmarkjustinc7
Why do the Kooks dip so bad on your dyno, but the other dyno charts posted with Kooks headers show a nice hump at 3k RPM? Tuning? Cam design?
I would attribute this to the much larger than stock camshaft. Even though we retained VVT we installed a Phaser Limiter which reduced advance/retard from 50+ Degrees to less than 20 Degrees. This will have a definite effect on power/torque in the lower RPM range which is why proper header selection is so important to us.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:29 PM
Jason 98 TA
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Ron I have to cut a hole in our dyno cell to run the exhaust out of it. Just not enough room for the entire vette exhaust as it sits now.

Get notified of new replies

To Independent header testing-ARH Longtubes/Pfadt Tri Y/Kooks Longtubes- Results Inside

Old 12-17-2013, 11:05 PM
48supertruck
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Theta
Actually, I second this question. That will be the boat I'm in - catted with CAI, but no cam or heads.

Curious to know if that all just becomes about the same at that point. Not a lot (or any other than the mids) of catted results out there.
This is what I am interested also. Stock tune, CAI, headers with cats.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:50 PM
Baron7700
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Damnit when the best option is the most expensive
Old 12-19-2013, 10:04 PM
_Will_
Team Owner

Location: Somewhere between mild insanity and complete psychosis
Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

ARH coming out on top is the outcome I would have expected coming in based on performance and quality of C5 and C6 headers.

Quick Reply: Independent header testing-ARH Longtubes/Pfadt Tri Y/Kooks Longtubes- Results Inside