C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer detecting Diablosport - any reports?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 03:42 PM
06MonteSS
Supporting Vendor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

yes.. Every time you install a tune, or lose power via dead or disconnected battery - all of the learned items like idle, airflow, fueling/fuel trims, emissions readiness tests, etc. all get erased/reset... It takes days & miles to be put on for everything to be relearned by the ECM/TCM and settle back in...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3, short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, catch-can, ported/polished TB, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 08-13-2015, 03:57 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
yes.. Every time you install a tune, or lose power via dead or disconnected battery - all of the learned items like idle, airflow, fueling/fuel trims, emissions readiness tests, etc. all get erased/reset... It takes days & miles to be put on for everything to be relearned by the ECM/TCM and settle back in...
That's one reason I would like to see a dyno comparison done backwards.

Load the tune, drive it around for awhile, then go to the dyno and roll it. Then load the stock tune and roll it.

Seems like people always do it the other way around. I always wondered if that affected anything.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:58 PM
seevi
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
No longer is this aftermarket tuning detected solely by checksum or CVN.

I can't mention who; but a Corvette team engineer afforded to me that they can detect a "tune" by other means; mostly comparing differing values (the ratios ... or relationships of these values to each other). The factory tune has limits on how far it might alter one setting... based on what another settings valus is. If this comparison of values shows non-factory ratios/relationships, then suspicion arises.

It's like a cholesterol blood test, where the results are given; HDL, LDL, Total.

There isn't a direct test for the LDL though; instead different test results are put into a formula - which generates the LDL result. If you work backwards, taking the formulated LDL result and comparing it to the other results from actual tests .... you can determine if things "don't add up".

I wouldn't worry about it. The dealership isn't going to have a tizzy because you took your Corvette in for a warranty oil change and they determine your car has a tune. IMO, the dealership is incapable of detecting the minute things that the GM engineers might - that could trigger an alarm

It's when a warranty claim is made for broken engine... is where GM will look closely to the PCM's contents.

I have always admired Diablosport for their tuning devices; owning the very first model released for the C5.
But, I do think it unwise to use this "undectable" capability in their main advertising. It's one thing to casually mention it, but to go to the point to where it's almost bragging; this can make you turn into a target.

Be careful out there.
Gentlemen – there have been a considerable amount of posts to this thread pros and cons with regard to Diablo and their claim that once the OEM tune has been restored from their device that it leaves no footprints or watermarks in the vehicle’s computer. That may be theoretically true based on their CVN claim, however, the “event” of tuning with the Diablo is logged by date, activity, length and time on the cars local area network, outside the reach of the OBDii diagnostics port. When the OEM tune is restored, a likewise “event” is also recorded. In the event a major service or replacement is needed (engine, transmission, clutch, differential, etc,) and it has been determined that there were parallel events prior to that servicing without history (software update or replacement) on that VIN, a zone rep can say with authority that the software had been altered and therefore voids the warranty. So, you have to be prepared for that circumstance just as you would have had a shop tuned your engine.

For a second here, let’s apply some common sense to this scenario. Do you for one second think that General Motors engineering staff hasn’t seen Diablo’s remarks that its hand held leaves no footprints or watermarks in the vehicle’s computer and figured away a figured a way to uncover those intrusions? Do you think for one minute that GM’s legal staff isn’t ready for your appeal?

If you’re going to tune your car, notwithstanding of the method, you have to accept the obligation for its repairs
Old 08-13-2015, 06:05 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnn999
Can my local dealer look it up and see how many times it should read or anything like that?
No, but it should be blatantly obvious to the dealer if the CVNs match the calibrations, or if they register as non GM CVNs.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:26 PM
SleepDr
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Senior Teen
What do you think the not ready meant ? Not ready for what ?
There is certain test the PCM runs during certain drive cycles, once these monitors are ready the PCM starts calibrating the outputs to match various algorithms. These are required in OBD 2 applications.

Quick Reply: Dealer detecting Diablosport - any reports?