C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you remove the gear shift knob?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 07:29 PM
speedwaylemans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default How do you remove the gear shift ****?

On a 7 spd. Manual, how is the shifter **** removed? And how does the shift pattern piece come off? I don't want to force anything. Also can you buy the shift pattern piece without replacing the entire shift ****? Thanks for any help. I want to have Steve Ray put me a Jake on the **** with a red background.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:06 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

With an insane amount of patience.

I finally gave up and used a rubber bottle opener, kind of like a sheet of rubber you use to grab onto bottle caps with.

And a pair of vice grips and some gentle nudging.

It does come off the way the directions say, which I believe is pull down and twist. Look up the directions on the MGW shifter, that will explain how to do it.

Some people's pop off, others you have to really struggle to get it off.

DO not believe it is an easy as in the video
Old 11-01-2014, 10:48 PM
speedwaylemans
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NoOne
With an insane amount of patience.

I finally gave up and used a rubber bottle opener, kind of like a sheet of rubber you use to grab onto bottle caps with.

And a pair of vice grips and some gentle nudging.

It does come off the way the directions say, which I believe is pull down and twist. Look up the directions on the MGW shifter, that will explain how to do it.

Some people's pop off, others you have to really struggle to get it off.

DO not believe it is an easy as in the video
Thanks, will give it a try. Any idea how the metal shift pattern comes off the ****?
Old 11-01-2014, 11:28 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

So, that video just tells you to turn the collar around the post. The collar is actually set down on an inner pin. You must lift the collar up to get the pin into the lateral track. That is how they made it look so easy in the video. You must push the collar up while twisting to get it to come off easily.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:50 PM
speedwaylemans
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mdiiulio
So, that video just tells you to turn the collar around the post. The collar is actually set down on an inner pin. You must lift the collar up to get the pin into the lateral track. That is how they made it look so easy in the video. You must push the collar up while twisting to get it to come off easily.
Thanks, hopefully I can figure it out, they make it look so easy. Any idea how the shift pattern piece is taken off the shifter ****?
Old 11-02-2014, 01:09 PM
speedwaylemans
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by speedwaylemans
Thanks, hopefully I can figure it out, they make it look so easy. Any idea how the shift pattern piece is taken off the shifter ****?
Thanks, between these 2 posts I got it figured out. I also found out that the shift pattern piece is just pressed in and easy to get out with a plastic tool to not damage the leather.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you remove the gear shift knob?

Quick Reply: How do you remove the gear shift knob?