C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers + O2 Simulator/Adapters = No CEL?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 08:53 PM
SilversledC7
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headers + O2 Simulator/Adapters = No CEL?

I'm about to make a move on some LT headers. I have an academic question for the experts. Please correct my assumptions if they are wrong.

I know some of you are driving with a lit CEL. It is my understanding that as long as it is a catalytic efficiency code, it is fine to drive on it and that most tunes just deactivate the reporting of the secondary cats. Most people get tunes to maximize HP gains which includes the deactivation.

The question is,
1) has anyone ever just installed one the O2 sensor offset extensions that claim to prevent CEL like the one from BigDaddiesGarage? Have you had any success using them or something similar?

2) Does the LT header secondary O2 bung locations allow the space to use them?

I plan on getting a proper tune but can see hypothetical situations where this would come in handy. For example, there may be some who are using a Diablo CMR tune who might want to reload and tun the stock program without the dash lighting up.

Thanks.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:57 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by SilversledC7
I'm about to make a move on some LT headers. I have an academic question for the experts. Please correct my assumptions if they are wrong.

I know some of you are driving with a lit CEL. It is my understanding that as long as it is a catalytic efficiency code, it is fine to drive on it and that most tunes just deactivate the reporting of the secondary cats. Most people get tunes to maximize HP gains which includes the deactivation.

The question is,
1) has anyone ever just installed one the O2 sensor offset extensions that claim to prevent CEL like the one from BigDaddiesGarage? Have you had any success using them or something similar?

2) Does the LT header secondary O2 bung locations allow the space to use them?

I plan on getting a proper tune but can see hypothetical situations where this would come in handy. For example, there may be some who are using a Diablo CMR tune who might want to reload and tun the stock program without the dash lighting up.

Thanks.
Rear O2 sensors have zero room to fit the adapter and the O2 sensor combined. Its very tight as it is, in the sense that once you loosen the rear O2's all the way, they are already hitting the heat shield causing you to have to finesse them out. The fronts have more room, but I still think clearance would be an issue. I have ARH long tubes that I put on myself so I am speaking from firsthand experience.

Ant
Old 12-01-2014, 11:43 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Up until around 2005 you could buy real O2 simulators. The EPA got very excited about that and came down hard with serious fines for selling and/or using them. They disappeared.

The codes thrown are caused by the O2 sensors not heating up fast enough due to reduced back pressure. I don't see how those things you posted would help the O2's heat up faster. I would think the opposite. I've seen those advertised as devices to stop O2 fouling but have no idea if they even work for that.

Get notified of new replies

To Headers + O2 Simulator/Adapters = No CEL?

Quick Reply: Headers + O2 Simulator/Adapters = No CEL?