C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 12:57 AM
culpeperbob
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NTMD8R
Bob,
So you would have preferred to just go with replacing the mufflers with straight pipes?

So now you have no Resonators (?) or Cats (?).
with an "X" pipe, and the BB Mufflers ?

Just wondering which is the best way for me to go.
I have purchased the Corsa Tips, and am planning on merely replacing the mufflers with straight pipes.
But I haven't done anything yet.
I really don't know what straight pipes sound like however a good muffler shop can easily make the pipe so that would be the cheapest way to go. I am assuming you have replaced the x pipe, so I would try the straight pipe and see if you like the sound. If it's not good enough then take off the front cats (another thing the muffler shop can do. I like my sound and it is loud as compared to the NPP system, but it really is in the eyes of the beholder. Anyway that is the way I would go. You can always add mufflers if you think it is too loud. I really would like to hear someone with straight pipes.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:21 AM
mcslim
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I was installing my Fusion axle-back system, I fired my car up with the exhaust mid-pipe (with second cats) off just for laughs. It was shockingly"non-loud"! Not the sound I wanted but was very suprised. I've had a lot of noisier cars that at least had some kind of muffler. I think that if I was 30 years younger, it would have been aceptable with just straight pipes and twin tips. Would be too much to go in/out and out the garage/neighborhood late at night. Love the NPP/Fusion to go steath but sometimes I lust for an available 3rd and louder exhaust position. Maybe I'll install remote or cable controled cutouts that are downturned just before the axle-back? Slim
Old 02-18-2015, 02:09 AM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

Bob,
here's a link to C7Jake's video..... with mufflers replaced with straight pipe...

Old 02-18-2015, 08:55 AM
#1c6
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

i would like to hear more from members with their Mufflers deleted! i think its the least expensive exhaust mod, and the videos sound good.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:45 PM
culpeperbob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mcslim
While I was installing my Fusion axle-back system, I fired my car up with the exhaust mid-pipe (with second cats) off just for laughs. It was shockingly"non-loud"! Not the sound I wanted but was very suprised. I've had a lot of noisier cars that at least had some kind of muffler. I think that if I was 30 years younger, it would have been aceptable with just straight pipes and twin tips. Would be too much to go in/out and out the garage/neighborhood late at night. Love the NPP/Fusion to go steath but sometimes I lust for an available 3rd and louder exhaust position. Maybe I'll install remote or cable controled cutouts that are downturned just before the axle-back? Slim
The hell with the neighbors and neighborhood. Just don't go by at 5,000 rpm. The muffler shop told me about cutouts but they were expensive and it's hard to do because there is very little room. My guy was going to charge around 900 to do it. The cutouts with electric switch are around 550 (I did not realize how expensive they are). I looked it up on google. My C7 is very loud and sounds great. At a high rpm when passing someone, they know it and it really sounds great at a high rpm, although idle is damn good and probably 4 or 5 times louder than the NPP system (hard to judge). When I started the vette at the sheriff's office I woke up about 4 deputies sitting in their cars.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:24 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 620 Likes on 456 Posts

I put B&B on mine.Non NPP.It is loud but not to loud.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:46 AM
culpeperbob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thrilled
I put B&B on mine.Non NPP.It is loud but not to loud.
If you want loud now get rid of the front and rear cats.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:55 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 620 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by culpeperbob
When I do the headers and Xpipe then I believe I will do the high flow cats.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:31 AM
#1c6
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by culpeperbob
will it cause a code removing the cats?

Quick Reply: Mufflers