C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird noise coming from under the hood while ignition is off

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 11:50 AM
tr911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Weird noise coming from under the hood while ignition is off

OK, this one is a new one to me. My Stingray is making weird noise and I can't really tell where it is coming from. It is from under the hood and it is somewhere in the front. It's like something is trying to compensate or something. Here is a video with the sound that I made with my phone. If anyone has had this or experienced it or knows what it might be please share it with me. Thanks..

Last edited by tr911; 01-25-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:17 PM
tanner m
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very odd sound. Bump this one up. Someone should know what it is!
Old 01-25-2015, 10:50 PM
robertf97
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like an electronic actuator. Take a stethoscope or screwdriver up to your ear and put it on the throttle body, steering gear, ac compressor,etc to try and isolate it.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:38 PM
prowired
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Very Odd Noise from AC Compressor, Engine OFF, C7 2015 Corvette Stingray

Originally Posted by tr911
OK, this one is a new one to me. My Stingray is making weird noise and I can't really tell where it is coming from. It is from under the hood and it is somewhere in the front. It's like something is trying to compensate or something. Here is a video with the sound that I made with my phone. If anyone has had this or experienced it or knows what it might be please share it with me. Thanks..
2014 Stingray Underhood Noise - YouTube
I just had the exact same noise on my 2015 Stringray convertible after driving, and backing into the garage, engine OFF noise coming from the AC Compressor Shaft/Clutch. It went on for about 20 mins until I restarted the car, waited for the ac clutch to engage, then shut it off again, and then it didn't do it again.

I know the above because I used a long thin screwdriver to my ear and touched it to the ac compressor front shaft that extends past the outer clutch pulley. I also hear it through the hi pressure ac line that comes up top on the pass side engine compartment just behind the Air Cleaner box.

It sounds very metallic to me, and is not that familiar (hissing/swoosh) sound you might hear when the AC system equalizes the lo/hi sides of the system after shutting off the engine.

Here's my video recording of it, and it sounds exactly like yours.

Hope someone has an idea what it might be, but I'm going to share the recording with the dealer the next time I'm in.

Thanks!

-Frank

Last edited by prowired; 12-30-2016 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:46 AM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 319 Posts

While I can't add to it, this is what makes this forum so great. Frank's video is the same noise so it looks like you have the culprit. Now time to figure out why. Best of luck
Old 12-31-2016, 07:23 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Weird.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:56 AM
prowired
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by davidtcpa
Weird.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

If the car is still under the B2B warranty let the dealer mechanic figure it out. That is why you have a warranty. If you take it in and demonstrate the noise so they can hear it while you are there they will look for it. Drop it off and leave a note saying it makes a funny noise and nothing will happen.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
prowired (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 11:25 PM
prowired
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If the car is still under the B2B warranty let the dealer mechanic figure it out. That is why you have a warranty. If you take it in and demonstrate the noise so they can hear it while you are there they will look for it. Drop it off and leave a note saying it makes a funny noise and nothing will happen.

Bill
Yes, I plan on doing just that. So glad I recorded it as it never happened before (at least that I heard), and hasn't happened since.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:37 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by prowired
Yes, I plan on doing just that. So glad I recorded it as it never happened before (at least that I heard), and hasn't happened since.
Just don't expect to get much out of the trip. If it doesn't do it on a regular basis it will be hard for them to guess what was making the noise on your video.

If it isn't broken when they look at the car they can't fix it.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Weird noise coming from under the hood while ignition is off

Quick Reply: Weird noise coming from under the hood while ignition is off