C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Error Code Reader - what are the basics?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 01:06 PM
NickHall
Madison Wisconsin
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Error Code Reader - what are the basics?

To Forum Members:
I am totally new to the art of error code reading and would like to get up to speed and read my own codes, rather than paying Chevy the $60 to just read the codes on my C7.

Trouble is.... I know nothing about doing this.

I know I need a code reader of some sort to connect to my PC, or my smart phone or use a code reader with a screen on it.

Now for my question....

Can someone give me some advice on where to start?

I want a complete read out of each code that comes up and what it means (if possible). I have had the C7 engine light come on twice and each time it cost me $60 to have them read it only to tell me that there is nothing wrong.

So I would like to do this myself and then if it is something that needs attention, then take the car to the dealer for fixing or changing.

So if any of you can provide some detailed help of where to go, what to buy, and options to this approach, I would greatly appreciated it.

Nick
Old 05-08-2015, 02:52 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 220 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Nick,

You can get basic code readers that will spit out P-codes for under $25 (MaxiScan MS300/MS309/MS310), or more advanced units like the Innova 3100 for around $100 that will tell you what the codes mean in real time.

If you want to have full dealer functionality (which I don't think you need unless you're planning on using this very often), you'll need a J-2534/MDI ($500-1000) and GDS2 subscription ($575/yr).

If you get the cheap ones, the P-codes are usually vague, but give you enough to go on. If you want the U-codes (DTCs), the last option is required.

From what you've described, it sounds like the Innova 3100 or similar is right up your alley for an instant readout. They're right around $100 at Amazon.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-09-2015, 02:43 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 282 Likes on 259 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Do you still ON-STAR on your car ??? If so they record and keep track of all your codes-----I get an Email every moth from them telling me all the codes that popped up in the last month----If you don't get the emails---call them from your car and ask for your codes----Save the #'s and look then up online-----Gearchatter has the best diagnostics and repair procedures not sure if they have any new C7 codes but you can check http://gearchatter.com
Old 05-09-2015, 10:25 AM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

I have an MSD DashHawk (no longer made but possibly available). Not only does it read codes, it also gives real time information on many functions, such as IAT Temps, engine temps, timing etc. Since there are like 2000 potential "P codes" if you get a number and the data lists unknown, you can check the web and match it to available lists for GM codes. There are other similar devices available that will give you similar info as a DashHawk that are current.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:34 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 220 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by EcoBrick Bob
I have an MSD DashHawk (no longer made but possibly available). Not only does it read codes, it also gives real time information on many functions, such as IAT Temps, engine temps, timing etc. Since there are like 2000 potential "P codes" if you get a number and the data lists unknown, you can check the web and match it to available lists for GM codes. There are other similar devices available that will give you similar info as a DashHawk that are current.
Similar to this, I also have used (and still have) a few ScanGauge II units that should work with the C7. These are essentially what the DashHawk turned into (having also used a DashHawk in the past, it's very similar in every way).

Slightly more expensive than the reader, but does give you another set of (up to 4) gauges along with a P-code reader.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:42 PM
NickHall
Madison Wisconsin
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Thank you,

Originally Posted by Theta
Nick,

You can get basic code readers that will spit out P-codes for under $25 (MaxiScan MS300/MS309/MS310), or more advanced units like the Innova 3100 for around $100 that will tell you what the codes mean in real time....snip...

From what you've described, it sounds like the Innova 3100 or similar is right up your alley for an instant readout. They're right around $100 at Amazon.

Hope that helps!
This helps a lot. You nailed it on what I need.
I will order the Innova 3100 now.
Thank you.
Nick
Old 05-12-2015, 12:48 PM
NickHall
Madison Wisconsin
Support Corvetteforum!

Default No, turned On-Star off, it was a pain in the ***.

Originally Posted by tblu92
Do you still ON-STAR on your car ???
No, I got rid of on-star. Every time I moved the rear view mirror it would call on-star. After, like 25 calls, I finally asked for it to be disconnected.

I cannot imagine a rear view mirror that calls for help just because you want to adjust the mirror. Poor placement of the link button if you ask me.

I talked to the on-star people and they told me that they get hundreds of calls a day from people just moving their mirror. One guy said that the majority of calls he got in one shift were mirror adjustment calls!!!

They are totally fed up with the mirror button placement, and have asked the GM design team to change the design so that it is not easily pressed just by adjusting the mirror.

I totally hated this feature. I would get it if they would put the button on the dash where it belongs.

Thanks
Nick
The following users liked this post:
McCarthy (03-26-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 03:38 PM
tyho
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by NickHall
This helps a lot. You nailed it on what I need.
I will order the Innova 3100 now.
Thank you.
Nick
Same issue as you had. Engine light comes on and I have to go to the dealer to check it and clear it. $85 plus tax.

Did you get the Innova 3100? I have a 2015 z51 M7 and would like to know if you can get the code info. and can clear the codes with your unit. I have very little experience with these. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:15 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,997 Likes on 5,365 Posts

Never had a dealer charge me for reading a code and fixing the problem while a car is under warranty. P codes are sort of rarity since power trains are pretty damned reliable nowadays. However, they only cover 55% of the codes that can happen on the car. The other 45% (body, abs and airbag codes) are more likely to occur.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 05-12-2016 at 04:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Error Code Reader - what are the basics?

Quick Reply: Error Code Reader - what are the basics?