C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base C7 sway bar upgrade installation question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 08:40 AM
dckotwicki
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Base C7 sway bar upgrade installation question

I received the Z51 sway bar upgrade kit from Cultrag.com. I have a question about the replacement rubber bushings (2 per bar). Front and rear look the same except that they accommodate different size bars.

Since the rear does not have a sway bar, it comes with the 2 clamps to secure the bar. the clamps have a recessed cavity on the inside to accommodate the rubber bushing that have a similar outward shape.

If I push the clamp onto the rubber bushing while NOT installed on the bar, the clamp and the ring fit perfectly. Once I install the bushing onto the bar, it seems like the I D of the rubber bushing is not large enough to accommodate the clamp. there is about a 1/8 inch gap at the seam.

It should be noted that the front and back bushings fit on their respective bars the same way. I don't have them backwards.

My question is this... Once I have everything in place and am ready to tighten everything up, will the tightening process cause the bushings to slide ( with lubrication ) into the clamp cavity and the seam to come together and fit the way it should causing me to live happily ever after???
Old 06-21-2015, 09:56 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by dckotwicki
I received the Z51 sway bar upgrade kit from Cultrag.com. I have a question about the replacement rubber bushings (2 per bar). Front and rear look the same except that they accommodate different size bars.

Since the rear does not have a sway bar, it comes with the 2 clamps to secure the bar. the clamps have a recessed cavity on the inside to accommodate the rubber bushing that have a similar outward shape.

If I push the clamp onto the rubber bushing while NOT installed on the bar, the clamp and the ring fit perfectly. Once I install the bushing onto the bar, it seems like the I D of the rubber bushing is not large enough to accommodate the clamp. there is about a 1/8 inch gap at the seam.

It should be noted that the front and back bushings fit on their respective bars the same way. I don't have them backwards.

My question is this... Once I have everything in place and am ready to tighten everything up, will the tightening process cause the bushings to slide ( with lubrication ) into the clamp cavity and the seam to come together and fit the way it should causing me to live happily ever after???
Yes they should button up nicely. Make sure to torque the bolts to spec as they are considered only one time use!!

Quick Reply: Base C7 sway bar upgrade installation question