C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice from the Corvette Gurus!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 07:26 PM
Torcher 2014
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice from the Corvette Gurus!!

Hi to All.
I am a first time owner and proud of it of a 2014 Corvette C7 Convertible.
Here's my question as follows:

I would like to increase a little more horsepower to the C7.
Thus far all that I have done is add a Dry High Performance Air Filter.
What are your thoughts pertaining to a high performance Tuners for Maximum Horsepower which is user friendly and would it truly increase Horsepower without voiding my warranty?
And what should I expect for horsepower increase if worth while?
Please advise.
Much appreciated.
Torcher2014
Old 06-24-2015, 07:29 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

You might get more responses and discussion of tuners in the C7 Tech/Performance Forum.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:25 PM
Torcher 2014
Intermediate

Default Tuners

Originally Posted by RicK T
You might get more responses and discussion of tuners in the C7 Tech/Performance Forum.
Thanks Rick, you are truly a gentleman.
Much apprciated,
Torcher 2014
Old 06-25-2015, 08:38 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

But no, any changes you make with a tuner would allow GM to void the warranty if they determine the tuning contributed to the problem. It won't void your ENTIRE warranty, but could void any coverage of problems that are related to the tune.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:15 PM
foot 1
Racer

Received 250 Likes on 117 Posts

The best way to get more out of the car is to go to Ron Fellows Sping Mountain Motor Sports Ranch, they will show you what the car is capable of doing, most of us aren't able to get the most out of the car, so the best mod is some schooling by race instructors they will enlighten you.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:24 PM
shodanjr_gr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by foot 1
The best way to get more out of the car is to go to Ron Fellows Sping Mountain Motor Sports Ranch, they will show you what the car is capable of doing, most of us aren't able to get the most out of the car, so the best mod is some schooling by race instructors they will enlighten you.
This x 1000. Doing a tune/CAI will get you what, 20-30 hp up from base and turn a 4.0 0-60 to a 3.90 0-60. Actually, the additional "power" feeling that tunes bring up mostly comes from remapping the throttle and transmission shift maps (on autos).

I tuned and CAIed my very first mustang (2008 V6) because it was slow as molasses but honestly I'd say it's not worth the money. I didn't tune my second mustang (2012 V6) and I don't plan on tuning the C7 either. Unless you are tracking, the car already has absurd amounts of power bone stock. As foot said above, take the money you'd spend on a tune and intake and spend it on HPDE instead.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:45 PM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by foot 1
Will the school make his car faster in a straight line? I think that's what he wants.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:48 PM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Torcher 2014
Hi to All.
I am a first time owner and proud of it of a 2014 Corvette C7 Convertible.
Here's my question as follows:

I would like to increase a little more horsepower to the C7.
Thus far all that I have done is add a Dry High Performance Air Filter.
What are your thoughts pertaining to a high performance Tuners for Maximum Horsepower which is user friendly and would it truly increase Horsepower without voiding my warranty?
And what should I expect for horsepower increase if worth while?
Please advise.
Much appreciated.
Torcher2014
I did three MODs. A AFE cold air intake, a custom tune, and mid-length headers. I drove my buddy's stock Z51 and couldn't believe how slouchy it felt in stock form. The mods were about 2 grand. The huge increase in throttle response was worth it
Old 06-26-2015, 12:36 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Depends a lot on your goals and where you live ( smog laws)
The C7 responds well as any car does with the basic bolt ons--like some sort of CAI and cat back exhaust
After that assuming you need to be smog legal--The next steps that are easy and low cost would be--
A ported T-Body
A ported Intake manifold
A ported stock exhaust manifold
These 3 mods will gain maybe another 15-20 RWHP
I see you have a dry CAI--My guess it's a AFE-
The way to get the max performance from these mods is to get a tune----Without one you are not getting the full potential from your mods-
If you live in a state where LT headers are legal then LT headers post tuning can net another 20 RWHP--
Even though these cars are rated at 460 RWHP the computer is always limiting TQ and HP throughout the entire RPM range--As an example even if you mash the throttle to wide open---the stock tune will not allow it to go to WOT until you reach approx. 3600 RPM !!!! Making them doggie from a dead stop---and this has nothing to do with any mods you have done !!! I've read where some have only gotten 10 RWHP from a CAI without a tune---But to get the advertised 18 RWHP a tune is needed to recalibrate the MAF table and to eliminate all the other power limiters---
A car as yours with the mods I have mentioned should easily make over 500 crank HP and be night and day better in responsiveness after tuning
Old 06-26-2015, 06:14 PM
Torcher 2014
Intermediate

Default HP Tuners

Originally Posted by tblu92
Depends a lot on your goals and where you live ( smog laws)
The C7 responds well as any car does with the basic bolt ons--like some sort of CAI and cat back exhaust
After that assuming you need to be smog legal--The next steps that are easy and low cost would be--
A ported T-Body
A ported Intake manifold
A ported stock exhaust manifold
These 3 mods will gain maybe another 15-20 RWHP
I see you have a dry CAI--My guess it's a AFE-
The way to get the max performance from these mods is to get a tune----Without one you are not getting the full potential from your mods-
If you live in a state where LT headers are legal then LT headers post tuning can net another 20 RWHP--
Even though these cars are rated at 460 RWHP the computer is always limiting TQ and HP throughout the entire RPM range--As an example even if you mash the throttle to wide open---the stock tune will not allow it to go to WOT until you reach approx. 3600 RPM !!!! Making them doggie from a dead stop---and this has nothing to do with any mods you have done !!! I've read where some have only gotten 10 RWHP from a CAI without a tune---But to get the advertised 18 RWHP a tune is needed to recalibrate the MAF table and to eliminate all the other power limiters---
A car as yours with the mods I have mentioned should easily make over 500 crank HP and be night and day better in responsiveness after tuning
I really appreciate you taking the time and elaborate on this. Extremely helpful & informative and you guessed right it an AFE. You are knowlegeable.
Thnak you sir for your kind wisdom.
Torcher 2014
Old 06-26-2015, 06:21 PM
Torcher 2014
Intermediate

Default HP Tuners

Originally Posted by motomanvette
Will the school make his car faster in a straight line? I think that's what he wants.
You have a great point. Probably not the school.
Not to toot my own horn, I do posess ample knowledge when it comes to Drag Racing. Done it, been there for many years & was extremely succesfull at it; however, that was in the early seventies & 80's when electronic ignition & computers were just being introduced. Running 11 seconds then was quite an accomplishment.
Different world today.
You nailed it.
Thanks for your feeback, much appreciated.
I really do appreciate this forum, i'll tell you that I have nothing but good things to say & great people whom are more than willing to help genuinely.
You're da man.
Torcher 2014 :
Old 06-26-2015, 06:28 PM
Torcher 2014
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shodanjr_gr
This x 1000. Doing a tune/CAI will get you what, 20-30 hp up from base and turn a 4.0 0-60 to a 3.90 0-60. Actually, the additional "power" feeling that tunes bring up mostly comes from remapping the throttle and transmission shift maps (on autos).

I tuned and CAIed my very first mustang (2008 V6) because it was slow as molasses but honestly I'd say it's not worth the money. I didn't tune my second mustang (2012 V6) and I don't plan on tuning the C7 either. Unless you are tracking, the car already has absurd amounts of power bone stock. As foot said above, take the money you'd spend on a tune and intake and spend it on HPDE instead.
I thank you for your comment; however, HPDE is not the asnwer I was looking for. I am looking for simple additional horsepower without the major alterations.
Much appreciated.
Torcher 2014 Happy 4th of July to you.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:30 PM
Torcher 2014
Intermediate

Originally Posted by meyerweb
But no, any changes you make with a tuner would allow GM to void the warranty if they determine the tuning contributed to the problem. It won't void your ENTIRE warranty, but could void any coverage of problems that are related to the tune.
That was a great asnwer.
I appreciate the honesty & no, I do not want to void my warranty.
Thank you very much.
Torcher 2014. happy 4th of July.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:09 PM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Torcher 2014
That was a great asnwer.
I appreciate the honesty & no, I do not want to void my warranty.
Thank you very much.
Torcher 2014. happy 4th of July.
Unfortunately, you'll probably have to "void" your warranty to feel a noticeable difference in your car. But keep in mind, the relationship you have with the service manager is important. I owned a 05' coupe, highly modified with heads, cam, etc... I had my clutch replaced under warranty because of a good relationship with my dealership.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Advice from the Corvette Gurus!!

Quick Reply: Need Advice from the Corvette Gurus!!