C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Variable horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 08:58 AM
n_coming
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Variable horsepower

As some of you know I want to upgrade my c7 to have 700whp and be able to boost it to 1000whp on the fly with an in cabin switch.

Here is an example of it but on a c6: http://news.boldride.com/2015/08/corvette-z06-twin-turbo-1400-hp/86841/

It says they didn't use nos but a boost controller and an engine management system called a pro efi. Now from a little research it looks like the pro efi is not available on the c7 yet but a boost controller is.

Is this the best way to achieve going back and forth from around 700whp to 1000whp? A computer with programs preloaded and a boost controller? If so are they making the pro efi for a c7? If not is there another one on the market?

If that is not the best way, what is?
Old 08-19-2015, 10:44 PM
n_coming
Instructor

Any thoughts?
Old 08-20-2015, 11:35 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Don't know if a way to do this with a supercharger, so I think you would definitely have to do this with Turbo(s). Boost can be controlled by how much the waste gate is allowed to open. It sounds like they already figured all that out with the C6 kit you referenced. You would need to contact the company that makes the controller to see if they have plans for the C7 in the works..
Old 08-20-2015, 12:27 PM
n_coming
Instructor

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Don't know if a way to do this with a supercharger, so I think you would definitely have to do this with Turbo(s). Boost can be controlled by how much the waste gate is allowed to open. It sounds like they already figured all that out with the C6 kit you referenced. You would need to contact the company that makes the controller to see if they have plans for the C7 in the works..
Yes I was thinking turbos. I don't want to get to 1000whp with a shot of nos as you can only do that for a very short time. I want to get there with retunes and boost changing as the people in that link have. There has got to be another company that makes the same type of product that has one for the c7. That pro one, you could have 5 different programs save were you could switch on the fly but I really only want the 2 with 700 and 1000 at the wheels.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:23 AM
HydroStream6
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by n_coming
Yes I was thinking turbos. I don't want to get to 1000whp with a shot of nos as you can only do that for a very short time. I want to get there with retunes and boost changing as the people in that link have. There has got to be another company that makes the same type of product that has one for the c7. That pro one, you could have 5 different programs save were you could switch on the fly but I really only want the 2 with 700 and 1000 at the wheels.
You will need a single or twin turbo setup to do what you want. Any good tuner can do a single tune for up to your maximum boost (in your case, you want 1000rwhp) and any good electronic boost controller can have adjustable boost on the fly. When your tuner tunes the car, they will tune it at all boost levels up to your max, so when you run on less boost, the tune does not need to be changed as the map sensor will see the change and adjust accordingly. What you want is actually really easy to do, just contact a well reputable (turbo) shop from the forum and they will be able to set you up.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:41 AM
SquatchMachining
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

That first post makes my head hurt...

You can accomplish this two ways...

Turbo or Supercharged with the use of boost control, aftermarket engine management like ProEFI, Haltech, or Holley would make this easier but it can be done with any turbo or blower setup with the use of a wastegate.

I do not recommend wastegates on blower applications though, it doesn't work as well as it does on a turbo setup and its hard on the blower.

Personally I see no need to dial it back from 1000whp, especially if you are going to invest in aftermarket engine management. With the use of boost by speed and traction control that is available with most of them, you don't need to dial it back, just tune it correctly...

Last edited by SquatchMachining; 08-21-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:45 PM
n_coming
Instructor

Originally Posted by SquatchMachining
That first post makes my head hurt...

You can accomplish this two ways...

Turbo or Supercharged with the use of boost control, aftermarket engine management like ProEFI, Haltech, or Holley would make this easier but it can be done with any turbo or blower setup with the use of a wastegate.

I do not recommend wastegates on blower applications though, it doesn't work as well as it does on a turbo setup and its hard on the blower.

Personally I see no need to dial it back from 1000whp, especially if you are going to invest in aftermarket engine management. With the use of boost by speed and traction control that is available with most of them, you don't need to dial it back, just tune it correctly...
The need to dial it back is for street use(1000whp on street tires, very scary thing) and in addition to drag racing and highway pulls I want to take this around tracks like road Atlanta and accelerating out of a turn with more than 700 is a very bad thing so I've been told. I want to be able to do it on the fly so on the corners it can be 700whp so it dosent get away from me and then on the straights I can quickly switch it to 1000whp. When doing this you can't just change the boost and get more or less power can you, you haft to change the programming at the same time and that's what the engine management does?
Old 08-22-2015, 06:18 PM
SquatchMachining
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Myself and many others have ran north of 1000whp on daily driven street cars for years, it's not scary with the right tires and driving experience.

As I said, no reason to dial it back for the street. Traction control and boost by speed is very helpfull and is available with haltech and proefi...

Your idea of changing boost levels on a road course is dumb, sorry... I've been road racing a car that makes north of your max goal for two years now with no issues. You don't have time to take your eyes off the track and dick with a boost controller. That is dangerous. Traction control and boost by speed is your answer.

not trying to be a dick, just keeping it real

Last edited by SquatchMachining; 08-22-2015 at 06:22 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Variable horsepower

Quick Reply: Variable horsepower