C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 10:02 AM
ronv327
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine light flashing

Yesterday, while out on a ride, was leaving a shopping center...after stopping for a quick bite. shut off traction control (in case I felt froggy & wanted to make some tire noise ) the light turned green & I turned left .not too hard (traffic) the check engine started flashing, the service rear axle light came on, the service stabiltrac light came on & the motor started skipping! After checking gauges, I limped it home . Plugged the scan tool in & had a cyl 5 misfire code. Popped the hood & checked the wires & found the #5 plug wire just barely hanging on the coil ( the plastic cover was keeping it from falling out) plugged it back in , cleared the misfire code & all seems well ...so far . Took it for a 3 mile drive . No lights on . we'll see on the next long trip
Old 08-23-2015, 11:08 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

There have been a lot of reports of loose plug wires, something all of us should probably check after delivery since I doubt if they are working loose by themselves.

The flashing CEL is for a misfire and the stabiltrac and service axle lights come on with this so I am confident your found your only issue.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:26 PM
ronv327
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NSC5
There have been a lot of reports of loose plug wires, something all of us should probably check after delivery since I doubt if they are working loose by themselves.

The flashing CEL is for a misfire and the stabiltrac and service axle lights come on with this so I am confident your found your only issue.
Thanks . That's what I was hoping for, but wasn't sure. Ck'd them all just to be sure...there doesn't seem to have much of a positive locking system.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:22 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Glad it was something simple----
A misfire whether real or false will make the T/C and Stabilitrac show warnings-
A misfire trumps the timing tables in your ECM and both the T/C and Stabilitrac use timing in controlling TQ management---

-Also if your car is an automatic a misfire will prevent the converter from locking--
Old 08-24-2015, 11:55 AM
ronv327
Intermediate

Yeah me too...panicked a little 'cause I had just filled it with fuel @ 15 mi. Before. 😱..but all is well , thanks
Originally Posted by tblu92
Glad it was something simple----
A misfire whether real or false will make the T/C and Stabilitrac show warnings-
A misfire trumps the timing tables in your ECM and both the T/C and Stabilitrac use timing in controlling TQ management---

-Also if your car is an automatic a misfire will prevent the converter from locking--

Get notified of new replies

To Engine light flashing

Quick Reply: Engine light flashing