C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 brakes vs Z51 (non Z07)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 09:32 PM
CanadianVetster
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 89 Posts

Default Z06 brakes vs Z51 (non Z07)

I have seen a few sets of Z06 brakes come up for sale.
How much different are they?
Will they fit on Z51 wheels
Rotors ?
Any other tech. knowledge?
Old 09-10-2015, 10:59 AM
SquatchMachining
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianVetster
I have seen a few sets of Z06 brakes come up for sale.
How much different are they?
Will they fit on Z51 wheels
Rotors ?
Any other tech. knowledge?

For what its worth.. I do a lot of track days and I pulled the stock calipers off my Z because they are just garbage in my opinion.

They are the typical factory "brembos", basically the furthest thing from real racing calipers..

The lug mount vs radial mount alone is a big issue for me. The radial mount of aftermarket its makes it faster to change rotors/pads or make any repairs. Radial mount also allows you to shim your calipers to compensate for variations in rotors.

The pad options and pad thickness are not there.

The factory calipers taper pads pretty badly.

I ran one track day with the stock stuff and got rid of it.

I run Wilwood Aero 6/4's now and use stock rotors, great setup. Wilwood doesn't offer this setup for stock rotors yet, but I am sure it is coming as they have it for the C5/6. I machined my own radial mounts. The C5/6 kits are less than $2000 for front and rear if you use your stock rotors or a stock like rotor. Makes the big brake upgrade a lot cheaper and the two piece ones are just uneeded in most cases. I have a set of two piece units, but at $200 per rotor ring, ill never run those on the track. Looks cool on the street though...

My suggestion would be to wait till Wilwood or one of the vendors offers a bracket for the calipers to be used with stock rotors then upgrade. I sold my stock stuff for more than it cost me to buy all new Aero calipers...

Quick Reply: Z06 brakes vs Z51 (non Z07)