C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping body panel seams clean & straight...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 11:44 AM
Wormwood
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Keeping body panel seams clean & straight...

So I have a daughter that's about to be 16 & she's my only child, which means Daddy lets her drive the C7... Well, the girls (wife & daughter) took the C7 to the store & clipped a parking lot curb on the way out. The damage could have been worse but the rocker panel is toast.

So currently I bought a driver side replacement panel which is factory painted & matches the existing yellow under outdoor & indoor lighting. I got real lucky buying the replacement, it was advertised as a factory flawed panel but for $200 I can easily take care of the flaws which are around the door hinge area & won't even been seen!!!

I'm taking the time right now to see if there's anyone who's had any success at keeping out all the road grit/dirt of the panel seams? It's not as noticeable on darker paint but bright colors make the grit/dirt in the seams stand out. Over time, it looks like the panel gaps are increasing, it's just aggravating...

Anyone have any ideas I might try? Maybe some Xpel in the seam area or goop/silicone on the backside of the seam? Dunno...?

Thanks,
Wormwood

*** I would suggest, anyone who may be working on your car, to purchase low strength thread retainer for metal/metal fasteners & some Goop or equiv. for fasteners that would be in contact with plastic/composites. Since the car is constructed from materials OTHER than stamped steel, the avg. torque values of the fasteners are lower than more commonly expected. I was able to remove most ever fastener with a 1/4" nut driver (7mm, 10mm, & T15) or my finger, lots of LOOSE fasteners that were have never been removed until this weekend. ****

Last edited by Wormwood; 09-21-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:48 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

The only thing I can think of is using clear high grade silicone, but I think it might discolor over time from sun exposure.

It also might give you more problems if you had to do another repair or just remove a panel for some unknown reason later on.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:47 PM
strapecek
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I need some advice on the rocker panel removal and installation.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:34 AM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

You're quite brave as I know those are firmly glued on from the factory!
Old 06-16-2017, 01:16 AM
LIONEL21
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Panel

Hi hoping you can advise me on how you removed the panel without damaging?

Originally Posted by Wormwood
So I have a daughter that's about to be 16 & she's my only child, which means Daddy lets her drive the C7... Well, the girls (wife & daughter) took the C7 to the store & clipped a parking lot curb on the way out. The damage could have been worse but the rocker panel is toast.

So currently I bought a driver side replacement panel which is factory painted & matches the existing yellow under outdoor & indoor lighting. I got real lucky buying the replacement, it was advertised as a factory flawed panel but for $200 I can easily take care of the flaws which are around the door hinge area & won't even been seen!!!

I'm taking the time right now to see if there's anyone who's had any success at keeping out all the road grit/dirt of the panel seams? It's not as noticeable on darker paint but bright colors make the grit/dirt in the seams stand out. Over time, it looks like the panel gaps are increasing, it's just aggravating...

Anyone have any ideas I might try? Maybe some Xpel in the seam area or goop/silicone on the backside of the seam? Dunno...?

Thanks,
Wormwood

*** I would suggest, anyone who may be working on your car, to purchase low strength thread retainer for metal/metal fasteners & some Goop or equiv. for fasteners that would be in contact with plastic/composites. Since the car is constructed from materials OTHER than stamped steel, the avg. torque values of the fasteners are lower than more commonly expected. I was able to remove most ever fastener with a 1/4" nut driver (7mm, 10mm, & T15) or my finger, lots of LOOSE fasteners that were have never been removed until this weekend. ****
Old 06-16-2017, 11:03 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

^^^ No way to get these loose if you are talking about the rocker panel no way can you get them off the car without braking them into pieces. They are glued in 7 r 8 diff spots like concete.

I am doing a z51 to a z06 clone now plus it is a PITA to get that black glue all cleaned off down to a level panel too. Have to use a small grinding wheel. Rocker panel just brakes into piece's on every spot that the glue is. Robert
Old 06-17-2017, 04:28 AM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

Not sure if you're the bravest man on the forum, or a damned fool. My wife asked me to show my 23 year old niece how to drive the car in case she needed to use it to drive my wife around. I told her no, that's what the Audi is for. Wife gets to drive it, nobody else, and I'd prefer to be in the car when she does. I'm leaning towards you being a brave and loving father, but it's only a lean...LOL.

Having said that, there are a couple threads on widebody conversions that you should check out, as Robert mentioned. Wish I could help you more than that, as it pains me to see your car in that condition. Keep us posted.

Mike
Old 06-17-2017, 05:41 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

It's a two year old thread, so I doubt it's still sitting on the lift.

Get notified of new replies

To Keeping body panel seams clean & straight...

Quick Reply: Keeping body panel seams clean & straight...