C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Seen This: Power Steering Flutter

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 12:25 AM
Jet Vet
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 116 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16
Default Anyone Seen This: Power Steering Flutter

I had my 2015 Z51 on the alignment rack at my local speed shop last week to do some troubleshooting on a very slight pull to the right. All alignment settings were correct, so one of the owner's expert friends recommended jacking the front wheels up and turning the wheel slowly lock to lock with the engine running. When we did that, a light vibration could be felt in the steering wheel at two distinct places. The real shocker was that during those two light vibrations, the front wheels exhibited a dramatic fluttering, vibrating noticeably. I brought it to the dealer and they did the same test with the same result. I track the car, and don't feel any steering vibration either there or on the street. The dealer wants to see if other C7's do the same thing before deciding how to proceed. Has anyone ever seen this? If any of you have your front end jacked up soon, and can turn the steering wheel slowly lock to lock with the engine running before removing the wheels, please let me know if anything like what I described shows up. Thanks.

JV
Old 02-09-2016, 01:42 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 776 Likes on 505 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Jet Vet
I had my 2015 Z51 on the alignment rack at my local speed shop last week to do some troubleshooting on a very slight pull to the right. All alignment settings were correct, so one of the owner's expert friends recommended jacking the front wheels up and turning the wheel slowly lock to lock with the engine running. When we did that, a light vibration could be felt in the steering wheel at two distinct places. The real shocker was that during those two light vibrations, the front wheels exhibited a dramatic fluttering, vibrating noticeably. I brought it to the dealer and they did the same test with the same result. I track the car, and don't feel any steering vibration either there or on the street. The dealer wants to see if other C7's do the same thing before deciding how to proceed. Has anyone ever seen this? If any of you have your front end jacked up soon, and can turn the steering wheel slowly lock to lock with the engine running before removing the wheels, please let me know if anything like what I described shows up. Thanks.

JV
Does you car have Magnetic Ride Control? If it does, see if the car pulls to the right in Sport or Track Mode but not in Touring. If it doesn't pull in Touring then you may need a new power steering rack as I had a similar problem on my 2015 Z06.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:17 PM
Jet Vet
Pro

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
Does you car have Magnetic Ride Control? If it does, see if the car pulls to the right in Sport or Track Mode but not in Touring. If it doesn't pull in Touring then you may need a new power steering rack as I had a similar problem on my 2015 Z06.
No, I didn't get the MRC option. We also tried revving the engine with the front wheels off the ground and the steering wheel straight ahead to see if the steering would pull to the right on its own, which would indicate a problem with the electric power assist, but that didn't happen. We just happened to notice this vibration problem while doing that test.

JV

Last edited by Jet Vet; 02-09-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:27 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

There is software that runs the electric power steering that runs algorithms to do things like eliminate smooth road shake when going around a long sweeping flat curve.

Maybe the software or hardware that runs this has a glitch on your car (or on many cars)
Old 02-15-2016, 08:54 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by jedblanks
There is software that runs the electric power steering that runs algorithms to do things like eliminate smooth road shake when going around a long sweeping flat curve.

Maybe the software or hardware that runs this has a glitch on your car (or on many cars)
It is also possible this is just an artifact of the control software that shows up with no load on the steering system. The smoothing software is mentioned briefly in this video which was released when the C7 first hit the streets:

Last edited by NSC5; 02-15-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:46 AM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
It is also possible this is just an artifact of the control software that shows up with no load on the steering system.
That's what I was about to write. The OP is operating the power steering system outside its normal operating parameters, so it's hard to know if it's really a problem.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:22 PM
Jet Vet
Pro

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by meyerweb
That's what I was about to write. The OP is operating the power steering system outside its normal operating parameters, so it's hard to know if it's really a problem.
Also my thoughts. I plan to ask GM what they think.

JV

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Seen This: Power Steering Flutter

Quick Reply: Anyone Seen This: Power Steering Flutter