C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Info Screen flashes and shuts down!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 12:23 PM
NickHall
Madison Wisconsin
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Info Screen flashes and shuts down!

In my C7 Z51 the center info screen will start flashing on and off very rapidly, about 20 times a second, then it will shut down and display nothing.

Nothing I do seems to bring it back on until I pull over and turn off the car, wait a minute or two, and turn it back on. Then it comes up and displays fine for 15 minutes or so, then does the same thing again.

It happens only on long trips in which I am driving for at least 4-5 hours. So I expect it to be a heating induced problem in which the screen or the connectors to the screen heat up with extended use, then loose their connection integrity and shut down. But not sure.

I took it to the dealer and they said.... we installed the new radio software as requested by GM-Corvette, but we were unable to duplicate the problem. I told them it only happens when it has been driving for 4-6 hours and the dash is hot possibly because of the electronics heating up. I just got back from a 3,400 mile trip to Texas and it did it only when I had driven for at least 5 hours each day.
It is very frustrating as I cannot see the GPS or tune the radio or listen to anything because I cannot read the screen.

But the dealer said that they cannot find the problem.

So guys and gals, any ideas for me to try on my own? This is very frustrating indeed.

Nick in Wisconsin
Old 03-14-2016, 12:28 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,012 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by NickHall
In my C7 Z51 the center info screen will start flashing on and off very rapidly, about 20 times a second, then it will shut down and display nothing.

Nothing I do seems to bring it back on until I pull over and turn off the car, wait a minute or two, and turn it back on. Then it comes up and displays fine for 15 minutes or so, then does the same thing again.

It happens only on long trips in which I am driving for at least 4-5 hours. So I expect it to be a heating induced problem in which the screen or the connectors to the screen heat up with extended use, then loose their connection integrity and shut down. But not sure.

I took it to the dealer and they said.... we installed the new radio software as requested by GM-Corvette, but we were unable to duplicate the problem. I told them it only happens when it has been driving for 4-6 hours and the dash is hot possibly because of the electronics heating up. I just got back from a 3,400 mile trip to Texas and it did it only when I had driven for at least 5 hours each day.
It is very frustrating as I cannot see the GPS or tune the radio or listen to anything because I cannot read the screen.

But the dealer said that they cannot find the problem.

So guys and gals, any ideas for me to try on my own? This is very frustrating indeed.

Nick in Wisconsin
This is a common problem. Especially early 2014. Take a video of the problem and then show it to your dealer.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:35 PM
Muuhaha
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RussM05
This is a common problem. Especially early 2014. Take a video of the problem and then show it to your dealer.
With the solution being to replace the entire unit?
Old 03-14-2016, 01:24 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,012 Likes on 365 Posts

Just replace the screen. Lots of threads about this. I showed a video to the service manager and they ordered a new screen. Haven't had a event since.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:02 PM
NickHall
Madison Wisconsin
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Chevy said that screen issues are rare.

Just replace the screen. Lots of threads about this. I showed a video to the service manager and they ordered a new screen. Haven't had a event since.
Interesting. The Corvette Customer Service Rep from Chevy HQ said that they do not think this is a well known problem and they do not see that it is a problem that they see a lot of. So they gave me a case number and said if it does it again to bring it back. You know, the old run-a-round.

So I will drive it more, with my smart phone in hand, and post it to them if it does it again. They did not see replacing it as an option at this time.

Hmmmm.

Nicki
Old 03-14-2016, 05:03 PM
NickHall
Madison Wisconsin
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Looks like I will have to video it

Looks like I will have to. They gave it back to me and said they could not find a problem.

Hmmmm

Get notified of new replies

To Info Screen flashes and shuts down!

Quick Reply: Info Screen flashes and shuts down!