C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there any way to disable the Daytime Running Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 02:06 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
In Pennsylvania the DRLs are mandatory. I like to be seen by my fellow drivers, could prevent a crash. Exactly why the lights are there!
This, in many jurisdictions its the law. On Canadian cars I don't even think you can manually turn them off.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:34 PM
astaggs
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1buddyc
I dont think it looks badass, on the contrary to me it looks like you're shouting out "here I come, look at me"!
I much prefer the stealth look over modern.
I think it looks like one of those cheap Christmas trees
Old 03-28-2017, 06:15 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

I like them on all of my cars. It makes the cars stand out so others notice their presence and can reduce accidents. They are mandatory in a lot of states and people who have one light out will usually get pulled over and reminded to fix the light.

Bill
Old 03-28-2017, 09:21 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by 1buddyc
I dont think it looks badass, on the contrary to me it looks like you're shouting out "here I come, look at me"!
I much prefer the stealth look over modern.
When people are turning left in front of me, driving at dusk, screwing around on their phone, or driving in bad weather, I want daytime running lights.

They're law in many countries (and maybe some states) and have been for a long time.

People used to install switches to turn off brake lights too. Change is hard.

If it's legal go ahead and disable it, but don't do it not knowing that you're giving up a safety margin.

Last edited by davepl; 03-28-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:14 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
When people are turning left in front of me, driving at dusk, screwing around on their phone, or driving in bad weather, I want daytime running lights.

They're law in many countries (and maybe some states) and have been for a long time.

People used to install switches to turn off brake lights too. Change is hard.

If it's legal go ahead and disable it, but don't do it not knowing that you're giving up a safety margin.
IF this is really how you feel why not run with your headlights on all the time? Or get strobe lights installed?
Old 03-29-2017, 01:47 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
IF this is really how you feel why not run with your headlights on all the time? Or get strobe lights installed?
On the highway I do run with headlights quite often, at least in older cars that lack DRL. Strobes are illegal and would be annoying to other cars.

I added HID driving lights to my Range Rover, which didn't have them. Actually I just upgraded the Halogen to HID and then wired them to come on with ignition. And I added a strobe to the third brake light in the rear.

As much as I think daytime running lights are a good idea, I also hate it when people add additional lighting poorly aimed (like at oncoming traffic's eyes).

You want to be seen, but not an eyesore.

Unless you're on motorcycle, then do whatever it takes!

You might think I'm crazy, but I haven't had an accident (my fault OR otherwise) since 1984. That's more than 30 years, so I must be doing something right!

Last edited by davepl; 03-29-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:04 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

We've had mandatory DRLs in Canada for decades. Before modern headlights, the car high beams were set on at 50% if you didn't have the headlights on.
The following users liked this post:
LT1 Z51 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 05:38 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
We've had mandatory DRLs in Canada for decades. Before modern headlights, the car high beams were set on at 50% if you didn't have the headlights on.
Yup, and some of the originals, in the 90s, couldn't be turned off! If you were at a drivein you couldn't run the engine to warm up because the headlights would come on with no way to turn them off, for example.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:44 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Yup, and some of the originals, in the 90s, couldn't be turned off! If you were at a drivein you couldn't run the engine to warm up because the headlights would come on with no way to turn them off, for example.
My 1997 Grand Am was like that, but if you clicked up the hand brake one notch it would turn off the DRLs.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:53 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
My 1997 Grand Am was like that, but if you clicked up the hand brake one notch it would turn off the DRLs.
I remember having to do that parking brake trick with several GM vehicles. My 1995 GMC Sierra had that issue as I recall and I had to be ready to partly apply the parking brake in a hurry during the time I was doing some consulting work at a military installation. Coming onto the facility at dusk with any front lights on would greatly upset gate security people.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:59 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

To permanently disable the DRLs :
At the BCM module in the passenger footwell,
Cut the Gray, Light-blue stripe wire at connector X4 pin 2
Cut the Light-Blue, brown-stripe wire at X4 pin 1.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:23 PM
TBF
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't know about you but my insurance company gives me a discount for having daytime running lights. It shouts out to the dumb *** that is thinking of pulling out in front of me that I am closer than he thinks. I don't care about looking cool. I care about someone pulling out in front of me because my low profile didn't catch their attention.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:47 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

And at least it makes oncoming cars more visible in the rain. We had several days of rain in this past week and it is still surprised how many idiots are driving without lights in heavy rain. It has been a state law here for many years although ignored almost as much as the no texting and hand free calling while driving rules.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:43 PM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,125 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by thegame
Just curious why you would want to do that ? I think they look badass. Gives the car a very modern look.
I remember back when the C5 came out and just about EVERYONE wanted to disable the DRLs. How times change!
Old 04-12-2017, 02:06 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

My way of thinking that if you get in an accident with A car that don't have running lights your not A very good driver.I guess with all the cell phones texting that people do,they need all the help they can get seeing another car.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:58 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by vdavenp802
Its a safety issues, let me know where you drive so I don't go there
Well, not really. NHTSA could not find any definitive data after reviewing study after study in the U.S. that supported the safety claim, so never required them of manufacturers. There did seem to be a very slight advantage in regions at higher latitudes than the U.S. That I could see, since even during daytime, it is not that light out for long periods of the year, and they also have longer periods of dusk.

Some people are just not paying attention, DRL's, bright colors, or not. I'll never forget pulling into a parking lot on a bright sunny day in my glowing Torch Red C5, and some idiot was coming the other way and wasn't paying attention to the point where I had to use my horn. I can still remember thinking, "If you can't see this bright red car in full sunlight coming, nothing will help you."

I turned them off on my C5 by pulling a relay. They may not have a relay with LEDs on the C7 though, since the current is lower. Best to track the wiring diagram back from the DRLs. Admittedly, I don't mind the white LEDs as much as the orange turn signal or headlight ones, but I can understand if someone wanted them off.

Michael

Last edited by Michael A; 04-22-2017 at 01:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Is there any way to disable the Daytime Running Lights?