C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Z06 clicking noise in rear end

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 07:20 PM
MACMILLEN65
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C7 Z06 clicking noise in rear end

My 2015 Z06 is coming up on 4500 miles. Started to notice over the last few days a clicking noise coming from the rear end. At first I notice this noise when I was backing out of my driveway on a slight turn. The I started over the last weekend to hear a click every time I start moving from a stop. Tonight I took the car into a parking lot, put the exhaust in stealth mode and tried to figure it out. I held the door open while I made stop and starts It clicked every time twice. Then If I turn in a circle either way the clicking is constant. And its defiantly not the tires. Has anyone else experience this issue. Thanks for any help you can give
Old 08-16-2016, 08:34 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

I have the Same thing on my z51. Tried pushing and pulling on the quarter and no noise. At first it happened every time I started moving either direction. Now a few months later, if I tap the gas moderately while moving at 15-20 mph it also sounds. My spring has a bit of splintering on the top but I doubt that's it. Wondering if there is ball bearings or something.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 08-16-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:46 PM
MACMILLEN65
Advanced

It has me baffled. It defiantly sounds mechanical, but were its exactly coming from I can't tell. I want to have someone move the car while I am outside trying to listen. I will keep you posted.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:12 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

It may be the NPP exhaust valves. I had a similar problem that ultimately got really loud. Dealer solved it by replacing actuators for the valves in the outer exhaust pipes. He referred to it as an "actuator kit".
Old 08-16-2016, 10:30 PM
snomuncher
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Clicking Noise from Rear End

You describe a "click" as the symptom so this may not apply but on earlier GM and Corvette posi rear ends, a chattering or groaning sound from the rear differential was indicative of a slip/stick condition of the clutch plates, and was especially noticeable on slow speed turns (like in a parking lot). I had that issue on a Camaro a few years ago. Draining and refilling the differential and in those days adding a few ounces of a GM Posi lubricant would solve the problem.

Have you checked the fluid level in the differential? That would be one place to start.
The following users liked this post:
MACMILLEN65 (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 10:05 PM
MACMILLEN65
Advanced

Originally Posted by snomuncher
You describe a "click" as the symptom so this may not apply but on earlier GM and Corvette posi rear ends, a chattering or groaning sound from the rear differential was indicative of a slip/stick condition of the clutch plates, and was especially noticeable on slow speed turns (like in a parking lot). I had that issue on a Camaro a few years ago. Draining and refilling the differential and in those days adding a few ounces of a GM Posi lubricant would solve the problem.

Have you checked the fluid level in the differential? That would be one place to start.

I had my friend drive the car in a parking lot tonight. I listened from the outside,and it actually sounds like it is coming from the brakes. I can hear it at all wheels depending on what I do with the car. Now Im even more confused
Old 08-19-2016, 11:09 PM
snomuncher
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Click In Rear End

Noises like that are tough to diagnose, especially from the passenger seat. Service Manuals contain flowcharts to help, including a description of the noise, under which driving conditions it occurs, whether or not it is dependent on engine speed, vehicle speed, load conditions, and much more. Also included are physical inspections and then the use of special tools that attach to the vehicle. I would recommend that you check the underside of the car for any physical evidence that could produce the noise. Maybe it is something simple like a small branch wedged near a moving part such as a wheel or axle. Also helpful would be to write down as much as you can about this noise to help pinpoint it in discussions with technicians. This will also be of value if you need to enlist the help of a dealer.

I mentioned checking the fluid level because there is a GM Bulletin noting that some 2014 Corvette differentials were supplied with insufficient fluid that could produce noise (although I know you have a 2015):

http://forumfoundrycdn.com/nickj/aut...etin_13384.pdf

Good luck.

Last edited by snomuncher; 08-19-2016 at 11:12 PM.
MACMILLEN65 (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 05:21 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Here is what I did today that seemed to get rid of the noise on my driveway tests. Pulled wheel, cleaned faces of wheel and brake, checked all nuts I could reach for tightness. Axle nut was about 1/4 turn loose by breaker bar torque, no others . There was a rubber spacer that keeps a line from rubbing on sway bar rhat was a bit misplaced. Made sure do a good star pattern on wheel.

Hope it's gone. Likely just some debris between wheel and brakes.
The following 2 users liked this post by BrunoTheMellow:
1ccrider (06-23-2017), MACMILLEN65 (08-20-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 10:21 AM
johnbeeman1
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MACMILLEN65
My 2015 Z06 is coming up on 4500 miles. Started to notice over the last few days a clicking noise coming from the rear end. At first I notice this noise when I was backing out of my driveway on a slight turn. The I started over the last weekend to hear a click every time I start moving from a stop. Tonight I took the car into a parking lot, put the exhaust in stealth mode and tried to figure it out. I held the door open while I made stop and starts It clicked every time twice. Then If I turn in a circle either way the clicking is constant. And its defiantly not the tires. Has anyone else experience this issue. Thanks for any help you can give
My 2014 has a very sharp clicking/popping or snapping sound. It started when I turned left or right into a drive or a slight change in elevation. Dealer replaced the sway bars and linkage. Problem is now worse, not better. Sound is definitely from the rear half of the vehicle. From conversations, I get the impression this is a known defect. Maybe broken welds? I'm very unhappy with how this is going. It is embarrassing for sure. What the heck is going on here?
Old 10-25-2016, 10:22 AM
mm2
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MACMILLEN65
I've had the same issue with my 2015 z51. It's been fixed over 6-7 times. PDF attached from GM causing the issue. The noise goes away for 3-4 weeks then comes back, depending how much you drive. I'm honestly over it. I processed a Lemon Law, dropping off my car for a final repair attempt tomorrow. I've been at service over 20 times in the last year for a brand new Vette for not only this issue, multiple issues (drivers seat noise cause by the fans, double image HUD after replaced windshield, clicking noise while turning) Driver seat noise has over 7 repair attempts and no luck! HUD over 3 repair attempts.

No support from GM!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Clicking Noise Doc.pdf (67.4 KB, 339 views)
Old 10-25-2016, 10:27 AM
johnbeeman1
Advanced

Originally Posted by mm2
I've had the same issue with my 2015 z51. It's been fixed over 6-7 times. PDF attached from GM causing the issue. The noise goes away for 3-4 weeks then comes back, depending how much you drive. I'm honestly over it. I processed a Lemon Law, dropping off my car for a final repair attempt tomorrow. I've been at service over 20 times in the last year for a brand new Vette for not only this issue, multiple issues (drivers seat noise cause by the fans, double image HUD after replaced windshield, clicking noise while turning) Driver seat noise has over 7 repair attempts and no luck! HUD over 3 repair attempts.

No support from GM!
I have to say that mine never goes away. If only it would . . .
Old 11-10-2016, 06:31 PM
650_650
5th Gear

Originally Posted by johnbeeman1
I have to say that mine never goes away. If only it would . . .
I'm having the exact same issue with my 2015 Z06 (less than 5,000 miles). Very loud clicking noise coming from the right side of the car (not sure which wheel) when turning. At first it was just with sharper turns at slower speeds. Took it in a few weeks ago and the noise went away for a day or two. Then the noise came back and is present during turns at higher speeds than before. Any advice or new information from others who have experienced this? Thanks!
Old 11-10-2016, 07:09 PM
johnbeeman1
Advanced

Default fixing the Clicking

Originally Posted by 650_650
I'm having the exact same issue with my 2015 Z06 (less than 5,000 miles). Very loud clicking noise coming from the right side of the car (not sure which wheel) when turning. At first it was just with sharper turns at slower speeds. Took it in a few weeks ago and the noise went away for a day or two. Then the noise came back and is present during turns at higher speeds than before. Any advice or new information from others who have experienced this? Thanks!
First, they replaced the sway bar on the rear and linkage. Made the noise worse. According to the service ticket, on the second attempt, they replaced the left rear shock and bracket. Seems to have totally resolved the problem. The defect was internal and not visible on inspection. I'm told that GM Engineers know this to be a "known problem". Hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:28 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by 650_650
One source of clicking on cars with two piece floating brake rotors like the Z06 has is the rotors themselves. They click since they are designed to provide for expansion of the rotor ring as it gets hot. The ring expands at a different rate than the hat.

Bill
Old 11-10-2016, 11:50 PM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,125 Likes on 562 Posts

My 2015 Z51 now clicks almost every time when proceeding after being stopped. The car is travelling in a straight line so it's not the wheel clicking issue when turning.

Stop at a red light or stop sign and then start up: click

I'm open for ideas before I go to the dealer.

Last edited by CP; 11-10-2016 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:48 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CP
My 2015 Z51 now clicks almost every time when proceeding after being stopped. The car is travelling in a straight line so it's not the wheel clicking issue when turning.

Stop at a red light or stop sign and then start up: click

I'm open for ideas before I go to the dealer.
pull wheel, clean behind wheel and face of rotor where they mate. fixed mine.
CP (11-11-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 07:57 PM
SilverFish
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I had the same problem and it turned out there is a tsb for it. I don't have the number but the technician replaced and torqued the axle nuts to 184 lbs/ft.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06 clicking noise in rear end

Old 11-16-2016, 11:09 AM
mm2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SilverFish
I had the same problem and it turned out there is a tsb for it. I don't have the number but the technician replaced and torqued the axle nuts to 184 lbs/ft.
I just had my car serviced for the clicking noise for the 8th time. The noise was gone for a week. It's already stating to come back. It's the brake dust getting between the wheel and rotors causing the issue apparently.

Known issue for 2014 - 2015 models which is unacceptable. Getting rid of my 15 and jumping into a 2017 Grand Sport! Hopefully no issues!
Old 02-23-2017, 03:27 PM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

I know it has been awhile since this thread has been updated. My 2015 Z06/Z07 clicks one time after stopping then starting. This is with the wheels straight and is only the rears. It happens within the first few feet of movement. The GM fix of cleaning lasts only a very short time. I have had the dealer attempt to fix this 6 times. I now automatically report it each time the car goes to the dealer for anything. I asked for factory rep involvement yet the dealer gets no help from GM. I felt that they would get tired of spending the 1.1 hours that the bulletin calls for. I guess it is too little a cost for GM to pay any attention to the problem.

Has anyone had any response from GM warranty on the cause and fix other than the bulletin to remove wheels and clean?
smspitler (05-04-2020)
Old 02-23-2017, 04:47 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

I've been having an issue that I think is related. Often from the rear of the car, but occasionally from the front, I get a 'clink' sound when changing directions. For example, I drive home from work and then back into the garage. Upon shifting into reverse and backing up, I get a 'clink' from the rear after backing up a few feet. At one point i was getting the same clink sound ever time I'd roll on/off the throttle at a slow speed. This went away after tightening the rear axle nuts. Planning to have the dealer look for a cause this weekend. I've tightened all the visible bolts in the rear suspension without improvement.

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 clicking noise in rear end