C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 3:90 & 4:10 Gears

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 12:16 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by GTX JOHN
I will do whatever I damn well please with my cars.
Our family runs several NHRA Stock and Superstock cars as well.

My street Corvettes with stock suspension and often = the only change
has been gear changes and drag radials.......Have won a 1/2 dozen track
championships and competed in World Finals for Divisional champions

The outstanding braking and ability to adjust shift points make for a excellent
and effective bracket racer.

Time for bed.........Just got back from LVMS track where I got to Final Round
in my new unmodified Corvette (Mostly due to the Corvette not the Elderly owner).

BTW: I hate 1962 Bubble Tops! Back in early 60's I did enjoy watching them puke
driveshafts weekly at Lions trying to beat my Max Wedge Mopars.

John Irving
Good to see a fellow racer. We also have two Stockers, but all three of our cars are GT cars (late bodies with early motors).
Old 05-22-2017, 12:30 PM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson

The C7 can benefit from more rear gear even for street driving, but the sweet spot is getting through the traps at the top of your 1:1 gear and no one is changing their trans ratios. :
Seem like you are referring to " drag racing " right here. I believe speed traps are a function of drag racing. I was attempting to show the folly in constantly breaking stock parts, and offering a viable solution. However it seems a few snowflakes on here do not welcome or can not stand constructive criticism and solid recommendations. Wanna lower your rear gear ratio? Put a shorter tire on the rear, end of story.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:48 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubbletop409
Seem like you are referring to " drag racing " right here. I believe speed traps are a function of drag racing. I was attempting to show the folly in constantly breaking stock parts, and offering a viable solution. However it seems a few snowflakes on here do not welcome or can not stand constructive criticism and solid recommendations. Wanna lower your rear gear ratio? Put a shorter tire on the rear, end of story.
Yes some people take their street cars to the strip to have fun, as I said above. You brought up purpose built race cars, not me.

Snowflake, lol, coming from the guy from California to the guy in Texas.

It's apparent you are out of your comfort zone if your best recommendation is a shorter tire on a modern computer controlled car.

And if you think we are avoiding "criticism" you are way off base. We have your posts quoted, you can't backtrack now as "Helpful Guy." Go drive your "bubble top."
Old 05-22-2017, 01:26 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

First off you provided no "constructive criticism" here guy. Can you show me where you gave ANY viable options for a Corvette?! Nope. Telling us to put a ford rear end in our car is not a "recommendation" and telling us the Corvette is not to be used for drag racing is flat wrong. If you think fords are so indestructible compared to Chevy then why are you on a Corvette Forum and using a Bel Air for your avatar?!

Last edited by FYREANT; 05-22-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:59 PM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

Originally Posted by FYREANT
First off you provided no "constructive criticism" here guy. Can you show me where you gave ANY viable options for a Corvette?! Nope. Telling us to put a ford rear end in our car is not a "recommendation" and telling us the Corvette is not to be used for drag racing is flat wrong. If you think fords are so indestructible compared to Chevy then why are you on a Corvette Forum and using a Bel Air for your avatar?!
A Ford 9" IS a viable solution to constantly breaking stock rears. In the past I raced a SBC Vega in Super Gas, and a 540 BBC in a 94 Lumina Z-34 in Super Comp, both were Chevy bodies and Chevy powered, and both of them had 9'' Ford rears. Launched the Lumina with a trans brake at 6200 RPM with 16 X 33 Goodyears, never hurt a thing in over 400 trips through the traps. And the Bel-Air picture is because of my screen name in case that fact slipped by you. You guys need to get your panties out of your cracks.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:10 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

Mind if I repost the first 5 words you contributed to this thread?

If you wannabe's actually think ...

Last edited by bigsapper; 05-22-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:45 PM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

One last thing to contemplate, if any of you think put a Ford rear under a GM is a crime, perhaps you should check and see what GM puts under their COPO Camaros in place of the IRS. Why do suppose the General would do that? Perhaps for reliability?
Old 05-22-2017, 05:59 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

A Ford 9" IS a viable solution to constantly breaking stock rears. In the past I raced a SBC Vega in Super Gas, and a 540 BBC in a 94 Lumina Z-34 in Super Comp, both were Chevy bodies and Chevy powered, and both of them had 9'' Ford rears. Launched the Lumina with a trans brake at 6200 RPM with 16 X 33 Goodyears, never hurt a thing in over 400 trips through the traps. And the Bel-Air picture is because of my screen name in case that fact slipped by you. You guys need to get your panties out of your cracks.
I'm not sure how much knowledge you have on the C7, but you don't seem to know much about the rear end we currently have. we do not have a "rear end" as that is where the transmission is. It is a transaxle design. Therefore, NO, you cannot just put a Ford rear end in there. Replacing the ring and pinion is the only viable option unless you plan to redesign the entire transmission structure
The following users liked this post:
John Micheal Henry (05-30-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 10:16 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Putting a 9" Ford under a C5,C6 or C7 is not a viable option. Yes it can be done with enough money and time, but NOT worth the effort. I have put 1200+ HP through a Z06 diff on 325 M&H's, we do not need the 9" at that current level. Now going to 2k hp, yea probably then spending 20k on a diff makes sense.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:20 AM
0todd@rpmtransmissions
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a photo of a 9 inch conversion we offer. This particular one is a TH400 for a C6, but we do offer powerglides also. We have built many of these combinations for high horsepower applications like J.Abbott had mentioned. The stock diff is good for quite a bit of horsepower, depending on the application. We haven't done much with the C7 diff yet, but do have a few things we're working on.
Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2017, 10:24 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by todd@rpmtransmissions
Here is a photo of a 9 inch conversion we offer. This particular one is a TH400 for a C6, but we do offer powerglides also. We have built many of these combinations for high horsepower applications like J.Abbott had mentioned. The stock diff is good for quite a bit of horsepower, depending on the application. We haven't done much with the C7 diff yet, but do have a few things we're working on.
Thats purdy.. any idea when you'll have something for the C7 bunch? Looking for a solution that has different gear options and supports 1000+ rwhp..
Old 05-30-2017, 10:37 AM
0todd@rpmtransmissions
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Thats purdy.. any idea when you'll have something for the C7 bunch? Looking for a solution that has different gear options and supports 1000+ rwhp..
I'm sure we could do something for a C7, but just don't know what is required for tuning, etc. We have quoted a few setups, but no one has pulled the trigger yet. You can call Jeremy or Shane any time to get a quote.
The following users liked this post:
FYREANT (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 12:12 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
Putting a 9" Ford under a C5,C6 or C7 is not a viable option. Yes it can be done with enough money and time, but NOT worth the effort. I have put 1200+ HP through a Z06 diff on 325 M&H's, we do not need the 9" at that current level. Now going to 2k hp, yea probably then spending 20k on a diff makes sense.
I was under the impression that my C6 Z06 has a 9" diameter ring gear(vs the 8.25" diameter ring gear used in the base C6) that was put in the car when it was manufactured in Bowling Green. It's just not a "Ford" 9" diameter ring gear.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-30-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:31 PM
Zip Corvettes

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I was under the impression that my C6 Z06 has a 9" diameter ring gear(vs the 8.25" diameter ring gear used in the base C6) that was put in the car when it was manufactured in Bowling Green. It's just not a "Ford" 9" diameter ring gear.
Well it is, but it's not the same. The pic that RPM put up, a ZO6 diff would never hold the power that will. A Ford 9" is considered one of the toughest yet compact and light enough to work.

Last edited by Zip Corvettes; 05-31-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:20 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by todd@rpmtransmissions
Todd I have been talking with shane please tell him to give me a call you have my cell buddy. I want a 3.42 gear set up for the c7 auto car 2014 model plus with the 4 spider gear set up in the rear also. I don't want it to go down.

I will drive up and let you guys do the work for the money diff well worth it. Plus will get to spend the day with you guys. Plus go out and eat Mexican again also Robert
Old 06-01-2017, 07:47 AM
Elite275
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

I called a month or so as well looking for a 3.15 to make mine run better for the 1/2 mile. It sounded like they were hoping to get some things dialed in with wavetrac. I'm only about 90 min away from there and an easy drive for me.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:37 PM
Zip Corvettes

Do a search on the current value of a 1962 Chevrolet Bel-Air Bubbletop, all original 4 speed, dual quad, positraction, 409, worth a lot more than most any later model C7. If your truly just having fun breaking parts left and right knock your self out, and if your not drag racing what difference does the gear ratio make on the street? Your not breaking spiders by taking off from a stop sign on the street. At least be honest.
You should wait until July/August and drive it across the Country. My guess is the C7 would be worth more to the guy doing that. I am sure that a 69 L88 would be worth allot more than a 62 bubble top or a 435 but we are not talking about those cars either right. So I am not getting the relevance of comparing a 409 bubble top to a C7. My guess is the C7 would crush it down the dragstrip stock vs. stock.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 3:90 & 4:10 Gears

Old 06-15-2017, 09:16 PM
phantom1
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Old 06-29-2017, 08:27 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Any further updates ?
Will this 3.90 gear set work in the C6 Z06 as well ?

THanks
Old 06-29-2017, 09:34 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
Any further updates ?
Will this 3.90 gear set work in the C6 Z06 as well ?

THanks
If you are talking putting this in a c6 z06 it has been out for a long time now.

Quick Reply: C7 3:90 & 4:10 Gears